Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Culling of People

Default A Culling of People

Well I'm still employed at the moment but this may change over the next month or two. The company I work for is making people redundant as of this moment, 32 people Australia wide with more to follow if the meeting was anything to go by. Is anyone else facing this at the moment, I have been through this once before in the late 80's when a company I was working for was bought out by a larger company then shut down. Some personal friends have already been laid off today, it is a very uncomfortable place to be at the moment waiting for the Axe to fall.

I feel for you mate, I had the very same feeling last year.

My best mate at work happened to be one of those gone ('due to the current market and economic conditions')

All the best

Hi, sorry to hear your situation, though it is a pretty common one in these times. I had two friends who lost their jobs recently due to the economic crisis and such. One poor guy got laid off 2 weeks prior to his probabtion period ending.

Even though I'm in the public sector, I'm still looking over my shoulder.

Best of luck mate.

Sorry to hear about your friends. Best wishes and I hope that you manage to pull through this tough period.

Ace is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

hang in there mate

Hope you keep your job mate.

You could always do what I did and become your own boss... Although since I started working for myself I have felt like firing myself a couple of times.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

What company, or what type of position is it?

I'm fortunate, I'm employed by a company that always has business and is short of staff.

I still predict though that when things pick up again, these companies that axed employees will be crying that they have noone to fill their jobs and will have to pay exhorborate rates to contractors. That or spend heaps training new staff and losing productivity as opposed to keeping what they have now. But bean counters man, they don't know jack outside numbers on paper.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Gah... that sucks. :/ But as regretable as it is, it's a necessary evil as I'm sure we all understand. My father used to me in the position of having to select which employees to make redundant, and then call them into his office to give them the bad news. He hated that job like I've never seen him hate anything before. My dad's the kind of person who never brings work home - never talks about his work unless someone specifically brings it up. But when he was doing that work he would actually come home and complain about how unpleasant it was, something out of character for him. Some of his friends would try to console him by telling him that sacking his fellow workers helped to secure the employment of many others and keep the company afloat, but my dad said that in the end, each one of the people who made redundant had families to feed and mortgages and bills to pay. He ended up leaving that company after many, many years of service just because he couldn't live with himself continuing to ruin people's lives and families...

Quote Originally Posted by 1orion2many
    Is anyone else facing this at the moment,
    Nope. I work in a field which has a desperate shortage of labour. Of course, the disadvantage is that we're badly overworked. :/ But yeah, right now I'm glad that I work in a field that has relatively good job security.

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Sorry to hear it mate. All the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    You could always do what I did and become your own boss
    Yeah, I did the same thing and never looked back!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    Although since I started working for myself I have felt like firing myself a couple of times.
    Try sleeping with the boss!