Page 388 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 368378383384385386387388389390391392393398408 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,880 of 10406

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Is anyone else having this problem: I'm trying to register at FoxTix to purchase a ticket for SupaNova... but where you click to select your country, the drop down menu is blank - and it won't let you proceed until you've selected your country.

I could purchase the ticket from Ticketek, but they charge you $4.95 min. for their service. (-_-)
    I was just planning to buy my ticket on the day. Though in hindsight it would waste the mojority of the day.

I don't get the whole 'Trukk, not monkee' thing. They were 2 completely different characters! They even interacted with each other. Have I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by LordCyrusOmega View Post
    I don't get the whole 'Trukk, not monkee' thing. They were 2 completely different characters! They even interacted with each other. Have I missed something?
    Oh dude, what have you done?...

Basically, Beast Wars was such an extreme concept to certain people who grew up with Prime, and Transformers in general, being a vehicle that the thought of anything different was akin to Nazi atrocities.
    Needless to say that poop flinging 'Munky' and his fellow Zoological cast saved an entire franchise from a fate that has befallen such franchises as... ooh, I dunno... Gobots/Rocklords?

I was just planning to buy my ticket on the day. Though in hindsight it would waste the mojority of the day.
    Yeah dude... last year I stood in line for over 1.5 hours buying a ticket at the door. A friend of mine who's a staff member at SupaNova told me earlier today that there were massive lines at the recent Brisbane SupaNova... phwoar!

It was the cartoon series that established Optimus Primal as a separate character from Optimus Prime - and he only interacted with Optimus Prime at the beginning of Season 3 (although we saw Optimus Prime at the end of Season 2). When the BW toy line first came out - and before the cartoon came out - the BW Transformers were intended to be a sequel to G2... i.e. the Maximals and Predacons were meant to be the Autobots and Decepticons "upgraded" with beast modes thanks to new bioengineering. And thus Optimus Primal was meant to be Optimus Prime in a new form.

So at the time when it came out, people were saying "Trukk Not Monkee." knew someone who would mockingly say, "I guess they finally made a monkey out of Optimus Prime!" - then he decided to quit Transformers because of it (which worked out well for me, cos he gave away all his TFs to me ). It wasn't until Mainframe Entertainment was commissioned to make the cartoon series that the writers decided to disregard the backstory that Hasbro (Kenner) had made and go with their own original idea -- making the Maximals and Predacons descendants of the Autobots and Decepticons and Optimus Primal as an entirely separate character from Optimus Prime. They even added a mouth to Optimus Primal's animation model to make him look less like Optimus Prime. The original toy only has the faceplate because it was originally intended to be Optimus Prime! Megatron's nose was also broadened to make him more distinct from G1 Megatron's face (whereas the toy has a narrow more G1 like nose).

But Hasbro soon caught onto the cartoon story too, and subsequent toys were designed with this in mind; e.g. toy bios would no longer reference the BW TFs as G1 TFs, Transmetal Optimus Primal and Optimal Optimus have mouthes and look less Optimus Prime-ish etc. But yeah, "Trukk Not Munky" originated from the time when the BW toys were out but there wasn't a cartoon yet. I joined this online group called BWADL; the Beast Wars Anti-Defamation League... where we stood up in defence of Beast Wars against all the haters. Then the cartoon came out and BW gained more widespread acceptance, and organisations like BWADL became needless (thankfully)

Thanks for that guys. Now it makes sense, stupidly, but still sense. I always thought of him as different. To be honest when I first saw BW toys on the shelves I thought someone was trying to cash in on the TF name and was horrified. 'these aren't transformers' I thought. Then they all dissappeared. Later the show came out and I got it. and loved it.

To be honest when I first saw BW toys on the shelves I thought someone was trying to cash in on the TF name and was horrified. 'these aren't transformers' I thought. Then they all dissappeared. Later the show came out and I got it. and loved it.
    Dude, I was exactly the same when I first saw the toys, then one day at Toys A'hoy I noticed the little sub-heading under 'Beast Wars'...
    It stated Transformers and I felt like an idiot

The show then came out and I was absolutely ensnared!

Quote Originally Posted by ITZTRU View Post
    No problem at all! Yeah Monday night I think he left?
    ITZTRU, thanks for the Warpath! James has passed it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    ooh, mines loose so I guess I wont be trying to flogg it off for $200+

or will I...
    Weell in ebay you could get away with it and there's always a sucker who'd go for it hehehe
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by heroic_decepticon View Post
    ITZTRU, thanks for the Warpath! James has passed it to me.
    No problems! Enjoy!

LordCyrusOmega/Hursti: when BW first came out and the cartoon wasn't out yet, I was playing with the toys according to the fiction supplied with them - i.e. as a continuation of G2. It was really weird! The story that I made was this...

The Transformers all awaken, scattered across the Earth and have been "transplanted" (grafted) inside the bodies of animals by some unknown 3rd party. The animals themselves have no idea that there are Cybertronians inside them and the Cybertronians themselves lie dormant inside the animals. Then at some random point, the Cybertronians awaken and transform - much to the sheer terror and agony of their animal hosts as their bodies are ripped apart to reveal the Cybertronians inside. Optimus Prime, taking on the name Optimus Primal, is outraged at this and is determined to discover who has rebuilt him and his gorilla counterpart in this manner. He feels deep regret each time he transforms to robot mode, but in beast mode the Transformers have no control over their bodies - they are completely at the will of their animal hosts. The Predacons don't care about hurting their animal hosts when transforming obviously.

So this story line went on for ages, but the mystery of who done it was never solved... cos... the cartoon came out, and I just threw my old story away and suddenly they were all descendants of Autobots and Decepticons and I never looked back. In the back of my mind I was going to reveal the 3rd party as some highly advanced group of humans, much like say the Machination. Meh... never got to play it out though, so it's all moot.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The Transformers all awaken, scattered across the Earth and have been "transplanted" (grafted) inside the bodies of animals by some unknown 3rd party. The animals themselves have no idea that there are Cybertronians inside them and the Cybertronians themselves lie dormant inside the animals. Then at some random point, the Cybertronians awaken and transform - much to the sheer terror and agony of their animal hosts as their bodies are ripped apart to reveal the Cybertronians inside. Optimus Prime, taking on the name Optimus Primal, is outraged at this and is determined to discover who has rebuilt him and his gorilla counterpart in this manner. He feels deep regret each time he transforms to robot mode, but in beast mode the Transformers have no control over their bodies - they are completely at the will of their animal hosts. The Predacons don't care about hurting their animal hosts when transforming obviously.

So this story line went on for ages, but the mystery of who done it was never solved... cos... the cartoon came out, and I just threw my old story away and suddenly they were all descendants of Autobots and Decepticons and I never looked back. In the back of my mind I was going to reveal the 3rd party as some highly advanced group of humans, much like say the Machination. Meh... never got to play it out though, so it's all moot.
    Moot, but still very Horro/Sci-Fi-esque dude! :eek
    It has a parasitical vibe to it that is akin to the likes of 'Alien' or 'Species' that I quite like.