Page 897 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 877887892893894895896897898899900901902907917 ... LastLast
Results 8,961 to 8,970 of 10408

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Ok so generally if i was to recommend the TR line as toys and say that you can get a bunch of different sizes and all the little head dudes interact with each other well that would be fine?

Yeah, on the whole the TR line is freakin' awesome. Galvatron is one of the poorer figures. It would've been a whole lot better if it had never been made into a Titan Master. Some people whinge about CW/TR, but honestly, imagine if these toys had been released 10 years ago when Classics started. Compare TR Astrotrain with Classics Astrotrain, or even CW Ultra Magnus with Classics Ultra Magnus with whatever the name of that third party armour was (especially when you factor in the cost!). CW Powerglide completely craps all over Universe Powerglide and is 3.5 times cheaper! And IMHO TR Wolfwire is a much better toy than Timelines Weirdwolf. No offence to the Cybertron Snarl mould - I own CYB Snarl and I think it's a nice enough toy... but it's not Weirdwolf.

Some people have criticised the TR figures for perhaps being a tad plain in design, but have a look at the original G1 figures that they're based off. A lot of the 1987 Headmasters were pretty plain/straightforward designs. G1 Chromedome literally bends in half backwards to become a car. This is why I always compare new toys with their original counterparts, to demonstrate just how much of an improvement these toys are over the originals, even in context of vintage and price.

Adjusting for modern day prices, the G1 Headmasters would be roughly $60. The TR Headmasters are half this price. So what we are seeing are new and improved versions of the original Headmasters at the equivalent/adjusted price of a small 1988 Targetmaster (like say Scoop, Landfill, Spinister etc.). That's phenomenal value for money.

The toy on the left cost the equivalent of roughly $60 today and transforms in four steps and has 2 points of articulation. The toy on the right costs $25 and transforms in 12 steps and has 16 points of articulation.

And look, there are always going to be exceptions. CHUGUR is a mixed bag just as G1 was - both lines have great and awful toys. As Demonac pointed out, Fortress Maximus is a rare case where the G1 toy is superior to the modern day one. I like TR Fortress Maximus, but I got mine from PC for $159.95, which is 2.5 times cheaper than the price of G1 Fortress Maximus' modern day price of approx. $400*.

-----------------------------------
    *32800JPY = Encore Fort Max's RRP

ok thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Yeah, on the whole the TR line is freakin' awesome. Galvatron is one of the poorer figures. It would've been a whole lot better if it had never been made into a Titan Master. Some people whinge about CW/TR, but honestly, imagine if these toys had been released 10 years ago when Classics started. Compare TR Astrotrain with Classics Astrotrain, or even CW Ultra Magnus with Classics Ultra Magnus with whatever the name of that third party armour was (especially when you factor in the cost!). CW Powerglide completely craps all over Universe Powerglide and is 3.5 times cheaper! And IMHO TR Wolfwire is a much better toy than Timelines Weirdwolf. No offence to the Cybertron Snarl mould - I own CYB Snarl and I think it's a nice enough toy... but it's not Weirdwolf.

Some people have criticised the TR figures for perhaps being a tad plain in design, but have a look at the original G1 figures that they're based off. A lot of the 1987 Headmasters were pretty plain/straightforward designs. G1 Chromedome literally bends in half backwards to become a car. This is why I always compare new toys with their original counterparts, to demonstrate just how much of an improvement these toys are over the originals, even in context of vintage and price.

Adjusting for modern day prices, the G1 Headmasters would be roughly $60. The TR Headmasters are half this price. So what we are seeing are new and improved versions of the original Headmasters at the equivalent/adjusted price of a small 1988 Targetmaster (like say Scoop, Landfill, Spinister etc.). That's phenomenal value for money.

The toy on the left cost the equivalent of roughly $60 today and transforms in four steps and has 2 points of articulation. The toy on the right costs $25 and transforms in 12 steps and has 16 points of articulation.

And look, there are always going to be exceptions. CHUGUR is a mixed bag just as G1 was - both lines have great and awful toys. As Demonac pointed out, Fortress Maximus is a rare case where the G1 toy is superior to the modern day one. I like TR Fortress Maximus, but I got mine from PC for $159.95, which is 2.5 times cheaper than the price of G1 Fortress Maximus' modern day price of approx. $400*.

-----------------------------------
    *32800JPY = Encore Fort Max's RRP

As someone that was born in 1984 I missed out on many of the original toys in their first run. Even as a 6 or 7 year old getting the first Classics line I couldn't help but be disappointed at many of them. Ironhide had no head. My Powermaster Optimus Prime was a better toy than 1984's Prime. I even said I didn't want Starscream because he didn't look right.

I even gave up collecting Encore and other G1 reissues because for every Fort Max, Predaking or Sixshot where I thought it was a really cool toy I got bummed out by 3 or 4 toys cause they were either not very show accurate or had the playability of a brick.

Fast forward to today and I have the vast majority of the G1 cast with toys that either look like their G1 cartoon self (ie:United Jazz) or are a cool update on their G1 self (ie: LG Magnus). Sure we get a few bad toys every now and then like Tall Tankor or that Legends Class guy that is meant to go on CW Menasor's chest, but I feel far less let down by them than G1 toys.

You mean Black Jack that is CW Menasor chest? I have the G2 version of CW Menasor and don't bother using him as the chest. But the figure itself homages the G1 micromaster, I think it's great

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I had zero interest in TR. Head masters were the show that killed the show that ruined the show that I loved. I was only going to target select legends.

Then my 2yo got his hands on Wheelie. He went straight to the cockpit looking for someone to put in it. That was when I accepted my destiny.

The whole cockpit pilot dynamic is fun and the base modes of the big guys adds more play value. Say what you will about quality or removable heads the TR bots are FUN and really that is what it is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    I had zero interest in TR. Head masters were the show that killed the show that ruined the show that I loved.
    I'm the opposite. The whole of season 3 killed it for me. When they introduced the Headmasters, it renewed my interest and I wanted to see more. Loved the 3 part Rebirth episodes.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    If it helps, send them a link to my collection website and tell them, "at least I'm not as bad as this guy"... and it might distract them from having a go at your collecting, or think your hobby is quite tame in comparison.
    haha Griffin my wife said to me a while back that I have too many transformers. I showed her your website and your youtube clips and told her that when my collection gets even close to yours she can make comments like that.

I might've also said that I aspire to have a collection like yours (although I know I never will), and that if we ever win lotto I'm dedicating an entire wing of our mansion to a Transformertorium (sorry Trev, might've stolen your term there ).

I think a part of her is hoping that we win lotto, and another part is hoping that we don't.

The 1987 line was the "beginning of the end" for G1 (although it was a very drawn out end). But remember that it was ultimately dwindling toy sales which led to the decline in quality and eventual cancellation of the G1 cartoon. So don't blame the cartoon, blame all the quitters who stopped collecting Transformers in/around 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    You mean Black Jack that is CW Menasor chest? I have the G2 version of CW Menasor and don't bother using him as the chest. But the figure itself homages the G1 micromaster, I think it's great
    As a chest piece, pretty crap combination,and a standalone figure he's actually pretty awesome. Interesting transformation scheme and great articulation for a little guy.