Page 986 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 9669769819829839849859869879889899909919961006 ... LastLast
Results 9,851 to 9,860 of 10406

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Are you asking if we got the bios, which were only released in Japan, as I think the toys were the same, because they were unchanged from their Diaclone versions.
    I doubt we would have, because it would have been in Japanese, as would the packaging and any inserts.
    Today, a casual collector workmate was adamant that, back in 1980s Australia, he received a mail-away G1 Omnibot in Japanese box with Japanese instruction booklet by redeeming robot points. I told him that would be unlikely, providing the reasons you gave me. Just thought i'd check with the experts here since i was not in Australia back then, and in SE Asia, we were lucky to have both Japanese and US versions of G1 toys, sometimes side by side on store shelves, and with the Japanese ones at a lower price point!
    Recent Acquisitions: MP-53+B Dia Burnout
    (Pre-)ordered: Missing Link C-02
    Wants: Encore Headmasters!

That’s such an obscure particular thing to recall that’s it unlikely they are lying. Maybe it was a shipping error?

A question from me: did Beastbox, Squawktalk, Grandslam and Raindance get released here? I have no memory of seeing them and I got all the other tapes so can’t think why I would have skipped them other than they weren’t available?

All of the mail away exclusives that I received from Milton Bradley in the 80s never came in Japanese packaging. They were either in plain white boxes or plastic baggies.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    That’s such an obscure particular thing to recall that’s it unlikely they are lying. Maybe it was a shipping error?

A question from me: did Beastbox, Squawktalk, Grandslam and Raindance get released here? I have no memory of seeing them and I got all the other tapes so can’t think why I would have skipped them other than they weren’t available?
    Dirge would be the best to answer that second question, as he used to host the australian release archive on his cliffbee site, but it's no longer being hosted anywhere. (my archive starts at 1996, while his covered everything before then.

As for the first question, memories from childhood can change over that much time, but there is always a chance of mixed up stock if a similar item was being released in both countries at the same time. You hear about it happening sometimes, but it's when you see it for yourself (the wrong toy in packaging that was new and still sealed), it then makes you think that any type of mixup at the factory was possible.

Because I don't want to hijack the feedback thread as I am not a customer, I am posting this question here.

The discussion on the sub-par performance of another Aussie toy retailer, and reading again on how much people are out of pocket makes me ask...why are collectors still paying up front for figures?

I was lucky enough not to be burned by Premium Collectables. I specifically joined this forum in October 2015 to look for feedback on PC. Back then, they weren't outright ripping off customers, but there were enough posts about poor communication which made me hesitant. But I also balked at paying upfront for a pre-order. For me personally, this is a practice which I refuse to participate in as a collector. It essentially puts the entire risk on the customer and adds an extra layer of hassle and stress if the seller doesn't pull through.

Call this impractical and perhaps ignorant as someone not in the business of selling toys, but if a seller doesn't have the funds to pre-order stock, and relies on the customer paying up-front in order to do so then the seller shouldn't be in business. I base this purely on the fact that there ARE retailers out there, both in Australia and overseas, who DON'T require full payment up-front and only ask for a non-refundable deposit (NRD). I only deal with these retailers because if anything should happen, then I'm only short on a couple of bucks. This isn't just for Transformers either. I've bought some Hot Toys recently, which aren't cheap, and a bit of research found a reliable, long-term local retailer who only asked for a NRD. Sure the price may not have been the cheapest, but I'd rather peace of mind than saving that few extra bucks.

There has been a handful of times where I've paid upfront, but I agree. Now I'll pay you the full amount when you have the product ready to ship.

You wanna know why I paid up front at the time? It was the cheapest around. No waxing lyrical about "supporting local business" blah blah blah. Price, plain and simple.

Jellico is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Yeah. This. Price.

Another example of price is the year of the dollar falling. It would have been 85c when I placed my preorder for MP Hound overseas. It is what? 67c now?

Local companies don't sting you as much for delivery. For me all the big US companies are out because they seem to use a gold plated canoe to cross the Pacific. At worst a local will be Aust Post prices.

I got hit with PC over MP Megatron but a factor there was avoiding dealing with Customs. I was happy to pay to avoid involving a third party.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellico View Post
    Yeah. This. Price.

Another example of price is the year of the dollar falling. It would have been 85c when I placed my preorder for MP Hound overseas. It is what? 67c now?

Local companies don't sting you as much for delivery. For me all the big US companies are out because they seem to use a gold plated canoe to cross the Pacific. At worst a local will be Aust Post prices.

I got hit with PC over MP Megatron but a factor there was avoiding dealing with Customs. I was happy to pay to avoid involving a third party.

I'm trying to get Pokemon cards, which weigh probably a couple grams, and shipping them from Japan or anywhere costs at least 24 in shipping alone. It's beyond ridiculous trying to get anything from overseas at the moment. The cost looks kinda good when you see it at first glance, but once you start converting and adding costs, it turns ugly, and more than likely, you'll turn right back around and quit.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Where can I get a good price on the Earthrise figures?

I have my CHUG characters arranged in order of their first appearance in the G1 cartoon/toyline/comics. There is also an area for IDW G1 characters. Should I put the orange coloured Voyager Class Sentinel Prime with the season 3 characters (Sentinel Prime was a brief cameo in season 3 but he was blue in colour) or send him to the IDW G1 characters?