Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Disaster on the TF Wiki

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I think I will just buy a USB SATA HDD encasement and a 300+ GB HDD and I am all set.
    I have a USB HDD case sitting idle at my place, dude... don't rush out and buy one (:

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

I don't need anything fancy, my personal data management is pretty basic and not much changes from one week to the next. I think I will just buy a USB SATA HDD encasement and a 300+ GB HDD and I am all set.
    Sounds good. Just make sure you automate it.

I was thinking of doing a RAID but couldn't be bothered - I am not like most people who keep invaluable photos or other irreplaceable stuff in the HDD. At most I would loose a few videos and some saved games.
    Yeah, RAID gives you speed and protects you against hardware failure. It doesn't do much for version control or fire/theft. Definitely would be overkill based on your statements.

On a related Real Life note: The HR manager where I work had been keeping all her PSTs, files and just about everything in her local laptop HDD despite being told to keep important stuff on the network/external storage. Her HDD died and she lost everything. She begun to get really upset and started crying.
    I guess we'll put her in the "will backup" group.

Quote Originally Posted by tron07 View Post
    Dont they have daily, weekly, monthly, yearly type of backup to fall back on?
    All borked. Went back to a July 2008 database, the earliest from the Wikia database dump, so it also has 500,000 links back to wikia and the old Teletraan 1 site embedded in every page and in every revision of every page. Basically designed to screw us on google searches and to make the site look like a mirror for Wikia should anybody stumble upon it.

When we initially moved to our server, one of our members modified the import script to remove all of those links before they went on our database. But since the bloody hose wrecked the lot, they panicked and used the earliest database. I am informed the links in earlier revisions won't cause a problem, but we have to remove the wikia links from about 4000-odd pages.
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.