View Poll Results: What gender is (are) your child(ren)?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boy(s)

15 40.54%
  • Girl(s)

6 16.22%
  • Both (even)

10 27.03%
  • More boys

3 8.11%
  • More girls

3 8.11%
Page 10 of 44 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152030 ... LastLast

Thread: The Parenting Thread

I love how springah actually says "affirmative" and "negative" in real life instead of "yes" and "no."

When Yuki was still in hospital, staff used alcohol wipes to clean her belly button after the umbilical stump fellrotted off (eww). They gave us some sodium chloride to use when we went home, but since that's run out I bought some Isocol rubbing alcohol from the supermarket and have been using that with cotton balls to continue cleaning her belly button. I spoke to a colleague of mine who's an ex-nurse who said that was fine. My colleague also recommended using saline solution (the kind you use to clean contact lenses with) - but I'm just sticking with the Isocol for now.

I'm curious to know how others have dealt with cleaning the post-umbie belly button.

OMG, just found out Gok has a baby! I can hear the Hasbro executives rejoicing now...seriously, congrats dude. Don't guilt out over the milk thing, you have to consider your and her needs as well as the bub's (not that I'm a parent or anything, God forbid, but you two still have to exist somewhere too). Key words = as well as.
    Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    Since the Government started handing out money to women having babies, I begun to see a lot of teenagers and very young women at shopping centers with 2-3 very small children and sometimes I see one of these mothers treat their kids with a very unattached attitude or if they were an unwanted after product as in 'I got the money so you have served your purpose'.
    The baby bonus = worst idea ever. I don't want people who think $6000 for a baby is a good deal having babies - I can fill my own petrol tank thanks.

For those with older kids struggling with the birds and the bees, the best 'sex talk' I ever heard came from a father of 3 and went along the lines of "Don't get knocked up, and don't catch anything."...
    Last edited by Ode to a Grasshopper; 16th June 2009 at 09:22 PM.

Hey Gok belated congrats on your new family member.

After occasionally looking at this thread I'm gonna add my bit; 16 Months of full time Fathering under my belt.

Nappies - Cloth nappies are the way to go. Yes you will have to clean them, but its not a big deal. After the few different brands we've tried these are the best. After 16 Months of continually use, the 18 we bought are just now showing wear. That only being the elastic in the leg which is easily replaceable with a little sewing know-how. That is only 18 nappies; I'd recommend 24 minimum.

Dummy/Pacifier - Stay away if you can. If you have to go for one this is recommended. My son never had one. If your bub is crying/whingey there is a reason. Try and find it and resolve it.

Milk/Formula - I'm glad to hear your both keen on having bub breastfed, it is the best. There will be time when its really difficult for your partner, but with most difficult things baby they pass quickly.

Umbilical residue - Make sure nappies stay away from that area. The rubbing can make it become unclean. Like all healing wounds open air and kept dry is the best. Warm water and cloth should be all you need to clean.

We had our son here at home. Water birth. We are actually what you'd call modern hippies. I'm a bit of a hypocrite being a Transformer collector though.

Thanks for the congrats and tips Firecracker!

We had Yuki in hospital, and I'm personally really glad. The hospital staff were absolutely invaluable, especially showing the ropes to total noobs like us. I also met another father-to-be at the birthing unit who was wearing a shirt with a Decepticon insignia; I of course was covered all over in TF paraphenalia as usual (;p), so I struck up a short conversation with him. But there were downsides to being in hospital too such as restricted visiting hours (even though fathers have extended hours, they're still limited), other babies crying (although it was nice talking to other parents), people smoking on hospital grounds* even though they're not supposed to (ggrrrrr!), hospital buraeucracy (gah!) and of course, the bogan teen parents from post #63.

--------------------------------------
    *In Japan it's worse... people smoke inside hospital buildings. There's a smoking room, but the door's open so the ciggie smoke just wafts all over the inside of the hospital!

Hey Gok, good to hear that Yuki is doing well...

not sure if everyone (that has had kids) can agree, formula tends to produce heatiness and more solid poops... so make sure you give a dose of water after feeding.

breastmilk-fed babies tends to recover from illness quicker because of all the nutrients.

manual breast pumps tends to be easier on the -you-know-what- as you have more control, so less soreness. Try Avent brand, uses the same bottle for feeding as for pumping

The novelty of nappy-changing is starting to wear out on me now and is beginning to feel like a chore. What can I do to bring back the romance to nappy changing?

Best suggestion I've had so far from a co-worker: do it less often.

Quote Originally Posted by Saintly View Post
    Hey Gok, good to hear that Yuki is doing well...

not sure if everyone (that has had kids) can agree, formula tends to produce heatiness and more solid poops... so make sure you give a dose of water after feeding.

breastmilk-fed babies tends to recover from illness quicker because of all the nutrients.

manual breast pumps tends to be easier on the -you-know-what- as you have more control, so less soreness. Try Avent brand, uses the same bottle for feeding as for pumping
    We used Avent when we expressed. My wife found them the best. We had to resort to bottle feeding unfortunately when my wifes milk supply dried up due to the stupid effing early childhood nurses not diagnosing my sons reflux. Also bottle fed baby poop stinks ALOT worse then breast fed baby poop

I wonder how many possible future fathers we are discouraging with our discussion
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    I wonder how many possible future fathers we are discouraging with our discussion
    Maybe you should start a Tour that goes to High Schools to scare the bejesus outta High School kids...
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    We used Avent when we expressed. My wife found them the best. We had to resort to bottle feeding unfortunately when my wifes milk supply dried up due to the stupid effing early childhood nurses not diagnosing my sons reflux. Also bottle fed baby poop stinks ALOT worse then breast fed baby poop
    Also, if you start giving your little one formula, for the love of God don't taste-test it. I would rather drink puddle water in a back alley of a XXX theatre than drink baby formula. But i guess it's full of goodness so it musn't be that bad. Luckily their taste buds haven't fully developed yet other wise they'd be spitting it back in your face.