View Poll Results: What gender is (are) your child(ren)?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Boy(s)

15 40.54%
  • Girl(s)

6 16.22%
  • Both (even)

10 27.03%
  • More boys

3 8.11%
  • More girls

3 8.11%

Thread: The Parenting Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    TheDirtyDigger Guest

Around 50% of Australian children are suffering from iodine deficiency. Iodine deficiency can lead to cretinism and thyroid problems. Nearly all of or vegetables are grown in soil lacking natural iodine but we used to receive our iodine from milk because the milk vats were cleaned with it. Since the mid 90's milk corporations replaced iodine as a cleaning agent with cheaper chlorine. The Krudd Govt. were talking of legislating to force bakeries to add iodine to all bread recipes but I am unsure of where that's at at this stage.

I am loathe to add salt to children's diets as Western diets are usually high in it anyway but in this case a pinch of iodised salt here and there puts my mind at ease. The healthiest (or least harmful) option is iodised rock sea salt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    The healthiest (or least harmful) option is iodised rock sea salt.
    Time to get the kids a salt lick!

Iodine, calcium, iron, all are minerals/vitamins that kids seem to be deficient in these days, hell we'd all be fluoride deficient if it wasn't in the water...
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

We didn't start with the Italian until Marcus started speaking We did have a few hurdles (for instance he thought uno came after ten for a while) but (again parental brag here) doctors have told us that Marcus' vocab, comprehension and memory is way above what it should be for a 2 and a half year old so we really haven't had too much confusion with the language thing.

Oh VS13 on the whole "no" thing all I can say is QFTx10000000000000000
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

I love how springah actually says "affirmative" and "negative" in real life instead of "yes" and "no."

When Yuki was still in hospital, staff used alcohol wipes to clean her belly button after the umbilical stump fellrotted off (eww). They gave us some sodium chloride to use when we went home, but since that's run out I bought some Isocol rubbing alcohol from the supermarket and have been using that with cotton balls to continue cleaning her belly button. I spoke to a colleague of mine who's an ex-nurse who said that was fine. My colleague also recommended using saline solution (the kind you use to clean contact lenses with) - but I'm just sticking with the Isocol for now.

I'm curious to know how others have dealt with cleaning the post-umbie belly button.