Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hpoo's Mini MP Grimlock review.

sweet! can't wait to get my hands on this baby

I can't decide if Im a blue eyes guy or a red eyes guy. A wonderful dilemma

Transformation note; the knee ratchets are mega tight. So tight that the ratchet sounds like the teeth will snap. There's some nice little screws that can be loosened a tad. I loosened mine enough to get rid of the 'snapping plastic' sound. So now I hear a nice click instead.

My MP Grimlock arrived today:

Although I have serious issues with the choice of sticking to a strict 'G1' Grimlock instead of modernizing the T-Rex, I must say that I am very impressed by the quality of this figure. Yeah most of it is plastic but it is of a pretty thick and great looking plastic which makes Grimlock very solid in both modes, particularly robot.

I was surprised to see that despite its engineering being a pretty straight translation of the G1 toy, the size of it adds a new dynamic making it much more complex than G1 as you have to take the size of the parts into account while transforming him. I also found the way it handles the leg 'tail' kibble as pretty clever even if it feels somewhat fragile.

Although Grimlock is a pretty sturdy figure; one still has to be careful with his joints, they are pretty stiff and reasonably small ratcheting joints that do carry a lot of weight from the limbs and having them so stiff makes you feel as if they are about to snap.

Overall I am very impressed by the quality of this figure and do not regret the purchase as I feared I would despite the cost. In terms of quality, this is the best MP hands down.

The worst part of course is that it did not come with the Crown but instead they chose to include that ridiculous waiter kit including the bow tie . I haven't even tried it on the figure because its so full of Season 3 suck that its best to leave it in the box.
    Last edited by kup; 8th April 2009 at 07:45 PM.

Intersting that you mention the fact they didn't update the rex. I would have passed on Grimlock if they had. I guess its how you interpret what the Masterpiece line should be.

They way I see it, Masterpiece is to make the best iconic characters as good as can be made, so IMO they did the right thing by keeping him Godzilla like. It would feel wrong to me if they did give him the new rex shape, after all that is what Henkei and Classics is/were all about.

Yes, the lack of crown does suck. Blasted apron.

I think modernising the Dino mode would have divided fans, I would still probably have gone for it, cause I like big fancy detailed robots but hey.

Played with my Grimlock on the weekend and he is cool, lots of fun, great detail, and I like the way he can switch from Comic/Toy Grimlock to Cartoon just from his eye switch. Size is great to far as I'm concerned all good he can take on the seekers.

his Gun and Sword are cool, apron and lame brain hat suck. I do like the bow tie though! I want to get him a top hat and a monicle so I can make TF Movie premier Grimlock, or out on the town Grimlock.

So overall yes a really cool Masterpiece, the price keeps me from saying best ever because I also really like Skywarp who was considerably cheaper when I bought him, and Convoy.

The worst part is, now I want more MP Dinobots or even better MP Insecticon team. I excpect Takara will release both soon after geneticly engineered flying pigs are anounced.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    The worst part is, now I want more MP Dinobots or even better MP Insecticon team. I excpect Takara will release both soon after geneticly engineered flying pigs are anounced.

My sentiments are very similar to yours. I love the toy absolutely in both modes but price is the thing keeping me from declaring its the best ever. It certainly is one of my favourites because it captures the G1 feel so well and the proportions are so perfect as compared to MP-05 or the MP Seekers. I think the transformation is rather dull once you take the tail out but it serves it's purpose as a perfect representation of the character incredibly well. The articulation ignoring the hips is perfect and the balance is great too. No stability issues whatsoever which were prevalent in MP-05 and the MP Seekers.

Only thing though was I doubt I'd enjoy this toy anywhere near as much if they'd redesigned the Dinobot mode.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I saw this toy in an import store today for $329! Yeah no thanks.

There are still import stores around Sydney that would buy this?
    i do NOT Play with toys...

But I DO occasionally do scale model assisted simulations in physical fight dynamics.

Just a few random snapshots of pure awesome!

Where'd that crown go from the proto????