Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spotlight: Drift

Default Spotlight: Drift

I just picked this up today. The story is nothing exceptional, but it's still enjoyable.

I thought that the artwork, colours, and lettering were all done very well.

I would give it an 8/10.

I agree, good read, nothing excpetional. Nice colouring, good to see the Wreckers again, not to mention a bit more of the galaxy.

Drift is ok, I wish he were a more stoic samurai and wans't smiling cockily all the time though.

Still not about to say that the Drift character is anything special, to me he's just Jazz + Dinobot + swords.

It would be nice if they did something clever nad made him a former pupil of Bludgeon or Banzaitron or something, although that would involve using non first 3 years G1 characters so It might be asking to much.

Good to see Spotlights comming out more frequently though, not sure about the cover of Cliffjumper in anime land, Does anyone think its about time we had A Deception spotlight though? I'm getting tired of just seeing Genericons.

Drift is like some kind of Cybertronian Jedi. And yeah, it'd make sense if he had some link to Bludgeon or Banzaitron (as they're pretty much Decepticon Sith). Damn Munchkin!

Reading spotlight Drift I couldn't help but think of this comic from lil formers
    http://www.lilformers.com/index.php/...-profiles-iii/

Drift seems ALOT like the type of fan made character I'd get by searching devart. The comic itself wasn't written so bad with and was nicly illustrated, it was also nice to see perceptor be perceptorish.

Quote Originally Posted by Zahhak
    Drift seems ALOT like the type of fan made character I'd get by searching devart.
    +1. Drift = Munchkin

I found myself quite enjoying Spotlight Drift. The preview with the aliens made me expect a totally different (and much less Transformer-based) story.

The robot art was very nice, the action was interesting and the artists did a great job of making the generic Decepticons not look generic. They all had different coloured schemes and shapes. Enough so that I was studying them to see if I could recognise them. That's a nice touch.

Now I know his story, I would have liked it if an existing character was used in the role of former Decepticon seeking redemption. Carnivac would have been the clear G1 character to use but I don't want to keep reading G1 stories told over and over again so I am glad he wasn't.

I would have LOVED it if we'd found Drift used to be Thundercracker. To finally see that character's doubts of the Decepticon cause get explored. Drift's former Decepticon identity is an enigma to us, but if he'd been a very familar character turning over a new leaf the story (and character concept) would be more powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Now I know his story, I would have liked it if an existing character was used in the role of former Decepticon seeking redemption.
    I agree 100%. I wouldn't even care which character they used, all McCarthy had to do was substitute any currently unused Decepticon's name for the word 'Deadlock' and I would have been ecstatic. As it is, I'm still 'sigh... meh'.

Heh... Deadlock. He used to be a Cybertronian who transformed into a self-locking door handle. Tiby's fingerprint scanner would pwn him!

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I
    I would have liked it if an existing character was used in the role of former Decepticon seeking redemption.
    I couldn't agree more, I had the exact same thought...even if it was a sort of throw away character realeased only in europe as a toy character that one guy bought.

Also I read some guys opinion (I think on siebertron.com) that drift/deadlock is one of the mystrious decepticons on the cover of spotlight cliffjumper(one of them has a very similar head)
    http://rex-203.deviantart.com/art/Sp...over-117372560

Of course, the so-called "European" exclusives were also released in Australia and New Zealand, so they would also have meaning for us. And considering that this character was made by an Aussie... so many missed opportunities!

The Decepticon with the "funky" head on the cover of Spotlight: Cliffjumper is meant to be Banzaitron I believe.