Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This lack of stock is doing my head in

Default This lack of stock is doing my head in

It seems that this hobby is becoming a waste of time for me these days. I suppose I'm what you'd call a slow collector, putting money first and knowing when it isn't wise to buy something saying "I'll give it a couple of weeks." It seems this attitude has caused me to lose several opportunities to grab some figures. Let's start with Henkei Hound.

He is nowhere to be found anymore. RK has sold out, eBay has one which has been the first I've seen there in about a month, action-HQ and BBTS don't even have it listed and HLJ says it's discontinued... A brand new and popular mould...
    Inside the offices at TakaraTomy HQ
    "Hey guys we're out of Henkei Hound, shall we make more?"
    "Nah she'll be right."

Secondly is Universe Sideswipe. I passed up on an opportunity to buy one at K-mart a couple of months ago since I was already spending quite a bit at the time. Now the damn thing is nowhere to be found, not even on the other side of the country! He pops up on eBay from time to time, but at stupidly inflated prices. I figured well I guess I'll have to get a Henkei one instead. Guess how that turned out.

Cyclonus is another, but I was fortunate enough to buy one for a good price off eBay... but guess what? It got lost in the post! The seller told me that was his last one and he won't be getting anymore stock until June. He should be taking it up with the post office today and we'll see how that turns out.

There are more but I won't go into detail, I think you all get the idea. I'm curious as to other's thoughts on the stock levels TakTom seem to be pumping out or if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Man I feel your pain, but I suppose its a lesson learned. I used to wait for all my figures to come into budget but I found myslef in your situation....missing out.

I dont think its a case of Hasbro and TakTom not caring but more of a case of increased popualarity.

As tiby said on collectors, the 80's and 70's (gawd were getting older) babies are now free from peer pressure of transformers not being cool. Now we're all older its okay to collect.

So now there are more adult collectors who always liked TF's but we're unsure of actually seeking new toys.

Then the 07 movie happened. That movie alone would have had parents and other suppressed TF fans go "OMG I have an old Optimus Prime at mums house in the shed. Bang, even more fans.

And finally there's the smelly and tricksy little devils we call children, apparently they like TF's too!

So now it a case of get it now or you won't get it for a good price. However there are excpetions. Eg Movie toys vs Movie premiums toys. Man I feel sorry for the guys who got stung by that.

Pre-order the things you really want. Often you wont pay til it ships, giving you time to save. And don't rely on local retail

With this hobby one has to be ready for a lot of 'triumphs' and 'regrets'.

Another thing is that one should have an instinct of which toys to get as soon as you see them and wich ones you can leave for later. With Classics its pretty easy (for me), you just need to judge it on the popularity of the character and when it comes to Japanese toys online, how different it actually is to the Hasbro version. With Hound, Cyclonus and several other toys, there is a world of difference and that is why they get sold out. Red Powerglide at HLJ is also sold out and discontinued for example.

Basically you have to know what you will need to get 'now' because you won't see it later.

I'm a bit worried I've missed the boat on Henkei Dirge/Thrust myself. Been waiting for them to be instock at RK but they've constantly got it as "Out of Stock" so I'm pursuing my options elsewhere.

One thing about buying from Takara though is definitely buy now and buy early. Wait and you'll likely miss out.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

A big problem at the moment is that it seems that some stores (like Target) are clearing out Animated/Universe stuff and not reordering as they are waiting on the ROTF toys that will flood the toyshelves in T minus 40 days (or so).

I'm constantly torn between buying now and waiting for a sale (and choose not to use the return options others do to get sale prices).

Remember that the Melbourne Missionaries are here to help you out too. Pop a post on there too and we'll all look out for a cheap Sideswipe for you.

I've heard (well... read on other messageboards) lots of complaints about the Henkei Hound not been available. It's great that in this day and age a toy in this price range with limited appeal can become so scarce... Gives people something to chase.

The universe toys are both plentiful. Universe Sideswipe is shelfwarming like Sunstreaker and Prowl did. During the 'lean' stocking period after christmas Sideswipe was literally the only universe toy on any shelf in any shop... Unless they start selling it at your local milk bar there is no way for Hasbro to make this easier for you to obtain.
    Cyclonus is current and at most shops... might be starting to drop off now with the new wave coming in.

Toys being sold out because they're just really popular is one thing... what irritates me far more is being unable to find a toy because they're either:
    1/ Not being distributed here, or...
    2/ Being distributed here in ridiculously limited amounts and sporadic distribution.

My current angsts are:
    + Universe Inferno. After searching for what feels like an eternity I've been unable to find him anywhere. I've given up and ordered Henkei Inferno instead.
    + Animated Wreck-Gar. Been searching for ages and I still can't find him. I'm on the verge of giving up and ordering him from overseas.
    + Animated Longarm/Shockwave. Same deal as Wreck Gar. Where the <expletive> are these toys?!?!?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    One thing about buying from Takara though is definitely buy now and buy early. Wait and you'll likely miss out.
    I think I've learned that lesson the hard way. Still, we make mistakes so that we don't repeat them... *Goes off on a buying splurge*

Yeah, I don't know what happened with Henkei Hound. I've been watching stock levels for all of the Henkei toys closely and this toy completely bucked the trend and had low production numbers, sold out, and sold out fast. As I said in another thread, if you see one of these for up to A$50, DO NOT HESITATE!

I just grabbed a few from ToyArena.com (aka liqdeal from eBay). They ended up working out to be a bit under A$50 each because I ordered three and only had to ship them to the USA. He's still got over 10 in stock and you can get a discount with either of the following two coupon codes: CD9RW4 or KING (they're supposed to be 10% off, but are only showing me a flat $5 off now. It might be because I've already used them). However, shipping is expensive. I know a few Melbourne guys who are after a JRX from him, so maybe open up a thread for a "ToyArena/Liqdeal" group order.

Universe Sideswipe has been extremely prevalent. you should have no trouble finding one of these at Kmart before they hit "Universe Clearance" mode like Target has.

As for Cyclonus, which one are you after?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    + Animated Wreck-Gar. Been searching for ages and I still can't find him. I'm on the verge of giving up and ordering him from overseas.
    + Animated Longarm/Shockwave. Same deal as Wreck Gar. Where the <expletive> are these toys?!?!?!?!?!?!
    FiguresDirect and then Hasbro AU themselves confirmed that these toys would not be available by Australia (at least through Hasbro)