Thread: International Transaction Fees on Credit Card

Default International Transaction Fees on Credit Card

These have increased by 2% for my Visa. I've been told that this is also the case for Mastercard. I noticed it b/c my fees had seemed to be going up comparatively higher recently and I wasn't sure as to why. A bit annoyed b/c it means effectively now we are 2cents below every other exchange rate.

It does make the spread between Paypal much smaller though that's for sure.

Doesanyone know of any other cheaper alternatives? I miss my 1.45%.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

I've been at 3% for years .. First few years were hidden until the Commerce Commission caught onto it. Everyone who was affected though got refunds.

Is your new rate 2% or did your 1.45% go UP by 2% making it 3.45%? 2.5% is standard.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Is your new rate 2% or did your 1.45% go UP by 2% making it 3.45%? 2.5% is standard.
    It's gone up to 2% from 1.45% so 55 basis points. Not happy.
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs

Mine has been at 2%
    It is a Visa Debit though so it might be a bit different
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    Mine has been at 2%
    It is a Visa Debit though so it might be a bit different
    Nope, no difference. They charge you still the same even if you have a visa debit

These percentages are bank, not card type, specific.

When you use your credit card for a foreign purchase, it typically takes two days for the merchant to actually get your money and the transaction to hit your statement. In most cases, you are assessed the conversion rate at that time, plus the 2%.

When you let PayPal do the conversion, you have the benefit of knowing exactly what the rate will be and you don't have to fear the AUD dropping over the next 2 days.

Interestingly enough, nothing scientific here, but it seems that PayPal's rates are about a day behind, and if you're on top of this, that can work to your advantage too.

I've found myself accepting PayPal's conversion more often that usual recently.

Citibank Visa is 3% on top of whatever the crappy conversion rate they decide to charge you at the time...

I use paypal linked bank account for foreign purchases ever since i found out years ago about the above...

Not sure about the paypal exchange rates being a day behind, but it could be dependant on US markets rates which were closed (locked) when you made the transaction or when you checked the day rates at the time. Anyways, its always been a hit and miss with paypal's forex rates for me so far...but it still beats paying via CC.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Interestingly enough, nothing scientific here, but it seems that PayPal's rates are about a day behind, and if you're on top of this, that can work to your advantage too.

I've found myself accepting PayPal's conversion more often that usual recently.
    Definitely noticed that too. Good for days where there have been falls. I reconvert to my Visa for days like today when the exchange rate's up