Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Movie - Possible Spoilers

TheDirtyDigger Guest

I love using them to check the time. 19th century retro.

Quote Originally Posted by roller View Post

Star trek 11 breaks the old rule that every odd numbered Star trek film is crap (Spaced)

Definitely better then Star trek 10 Nemesis, man that was a piece of crap!!!
    Not written for hardcore trekker of common man off the street, not even marketed toward testosterone charged teens, it was so bad!!!
    Well being better than Nemesis is pretty easy, it broke the odd even rule first.

The references to other series etc was good, not too many and not too nerdy. Woooo 'Enterprise' got a mention, take that Lord zed!!! DS9s not too hot now is it
    Its only fitting they mention Enterprise the series that killed Star trek (not like that awesome and still watchable DS9) if it wasn't for Enterprise JJ Abrams wouldn't have to come fix the franchise up.

Lord Zed is correct, thats how they know about the Cardassians
    Exactly, come to think of it though weren't they the primary villains in that DS9 show?

Doctor McCoy, was great! I didn't think the actor looked like a typical male from the Confederate states of America, the voice sounded a bit fake.
    I thought he did a good job for someone from Middle Earth.

Im so glad it wasn't written or had anything to do with the idiots Brannon and Braga

they are the 2 responsible for having good ideas but crap execution.

Eg: DS9 , Voyager and Enterprise seasons 1-2
    Berman & Michael Piller created DS9, but they generally had very little to do with it otherwise. Ronald D. Moore, Ira Steven Behr and René Echevarria were mainly responsible for the series.

Brannon Braga had nothing to do with DS9.
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

If anyone has any Star trek toys and wanna give them away or sell them, call Roller NOW!
    *cough*Star Trek for Sale*cough*

I suppose that just because a drink is called "Cardassian" doesn't mean that it's actually a Cardassian drink... it could just be an exotic-sounding name to the Federation of some far off alien race they know little about.

One thing I like the more I think about it is Spock Prime's presence. Seeing the Spock we know recognising Kirk and Scott (for example) helps sell the audience that despite the new actors they are the same characters (just in a parallel timeline).

You could blame Enterprise's Temporal Cold War for a lot of the convienent coincidences that helped bring the NCC-1701 Enterprise crew togther earlier.

I wonder if Spock Prime is still going to stay bound to the Temporal Prime Directive since he's hanging around in this parallel timeline? He's already broken it giving Kirk and Spock information about their future, and giving Scott a forumla Scott shouldn't invent for many years to come. Spock Prime knows that the Doomsday Machine is coming, the Botany Bay, and V'Ger, and the Borg, and even that Supernova that will destroy Romulas centuries from then and could save a lot of lives with just a few briefings to Starfleet.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    I wonder if Spock Prime is still going to stay bound to the Temporal Prime Directive since he's hanging around in this parallel timeline? He's already broken it giving Kirk and Spock information about their future, and giving Scott a forumla Scott shouldn't invent for many years to come. Spock Prime knows that the Doomsday Machine is coming, the Botany Bay, and V'Ger, and the Borg, and even that Supernova that will destroy Romulas centuries from then and could save a lot of lives with just a few briefings to Starfleet.
    He could do all that, and just be ignored by the Starfleet higher-ups, and set up retakes on all those events in movies to come!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    He could do all that, and just be ignored by the Starfleet higher-ups, and set up retakes on all those events in movies to come!
    Which leads to the question: Will new Star Trek movies be new stories or new takes on old stories? I'd prefer them to retell old stories in the novel and/or comic series and stick to new plots in the movies.

since its a different universe maybe they dont happen at all

or happen

but are sexier!

Saw this film last night and even as a Star Wars fan I totally loved it! I think it's very much a geek's movie... my wife who's non-geeky didn't think much of it (ha! Revenge for dragging me along to watch "The Uninvited"! ) - although she did think that the young Spock was nice eye-candy.

I brought Universe Galvatron along with me to watch it, just as a Transformers-Star Trek reference, but then I was surprised to see Nimoy there! Har!

As for comparing this with Transformers, I agree that this was better done, but having said that remember that:

+ Star Trek is a franchise that was always written for adults and had previously been done as TV series and movies in the past, whereas Transformers is an adaptation of a franchise where the original sources were originally written for young children.

+ Star Trek is a single continuity; this movie has branched off from said continuity. It's a parallel reality/timeline from the same continuity family. The Transformers movie is a whole new continuity based on G1 sources; and it needed to be a new continuity in order to be accessible to a general audience. Previous theatrical Transformers movies were in-canon with existing continuity and, in the case of TFTM, suffered as a result at the box office where the movie failed to engage non TF fan audiences. The Beast Wars movie is pretty much like that too.

+ Star Trek canon is much deeper and richer than the G1 cartoon. Having said that, it seems that the TF sequel is drawing more from the Transformers comics lore (e.g.: The Fallen), so that has the potential to give the writers greater depth to work with (whether they'll actually do this well or not is yet to be seen).

+ Star Trek is completely controlled by Paramount whereas Transformers was done under supervision from Hasbro. And while Hasbro did give Paramount a lot of creative freedom, they did call some shots in certain areas.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    although she did think that the young Spock was nice eye-candy.
    but thats Sylar! He'll cut your head open to steal your powers!
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)