Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Movie - Possible Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I knew some film students who used to complain about digital effects in movies lacking things that they have in film-photographed movies like lens flares! So I guess they put those in to appease "film purists" like them who argue that it's a whole art form. I personally couldn't care less.
    I hated the lens flares too, they really irked me on my first viewing, because they gave me the s***s in Transformers too. When I saw it a second time my missus and a couple of our mates who came along for their second viewing had the s***s to, as they noticed every single one!

At Uni we found that the lens flare is good for two things in animation, for replicating light refracting off glass and metal surfaces to show off the surface, and to hide minor mistakes and modelling errors...
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    but thats Sylar! He'll cut your head open to steal your powers!
    I kept expecting him to just flip and cut open Kirks head
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

As I recall lens flare's used to be really hard to create in old animation software where everything used to look to clean to be real. Then the software caught up and they became easy and people just couldn't stop throwing the damn things in. So it was great when they first showed up, but now there overused to the point of being tacky.

It reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Homer makes a film, and changes every scene with a star-wipe.

Originally Posted by Roller
    anyway im right, its an alternate universe cause of the black hole
    No your only right in the alternate universe, in this one your wrong.
    Roller is never right that's one of the rules of the Prime Directive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    As I recall lens flare's used to be really hard to create in old animation software where everything used to look to clean to be real. Then the software caught up and they became easy and people just couldn't stop throwing the damn things in. So it was great when they first showed up, but now there overused to the point of being tacky.
    Yeah they were hard for two reasons:
    1. they had to be created manually, which often meant near-merging multiple directed spotlights which had to be done so as the brightness was consistent as you panned past, and then petered out on the sides. Very ahrd to do manually as often you would just drop from one brightness to the next, there was no gradient in the levels.
    2. If they were done well, often it took a hell of a lot of render-time to render it, much the same as reflective metal surfaces used to near kill your average computer.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

No your only right in the alternate universe, in this one your wrong.
    Roller is never right that's one of the rules of the Prime Directive.
    So alternate universe 'Zed has no facial hair?

Remember everyone, im always right, if you agree with me i'll get you out of the base that is under siege by the out of control cloned dinosaurs, if you don't agree with me...then your the one the camera focuses on first in the horror films. And we all know the first one the camera focuses on bites the dust!

I think it is ironic because actual photographers spend so much time trying to get rid of that damn flare
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

I saw it last friday and loved it ^^.
    I'm not really a big star trek fan as I've only seen the original series when I was a kid. I could never get into Next Generation or anything after that.

I really liked the use of lens flares in Beast Wars. I think also because it was done better then (and not very frequently) - and back in those days it was harder to do, so I remember when I saw those effects for the first time I was like, "Ooohhh!"

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I really liked the use of lens flares in Beast Wars. I think also because it was done better then (and not very frequently) - and back in those days it was harder to do, so I remember when I saw those effects for the first time I was like, "Ooohhh!"
    I don't know if they were better done, but Beast Wars at the time was one of the first examples of a 3D serial TV cartoon so it was at time pretty cutting edge... Well kinda. At any rate it was new back then and not overused, but nowadays....

When I was studying I recall being told to use Lens Flares sparringly, vortexes to, but that's another story.

Yeah, I meant to say that it was done well for a CGI TV series of its time.