Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Universe Springer or Blades?

Default Universe Springer or Blades?

Hi everyone

I'm thinking about getting one of these, but do not want both of the same mold.

I do not have Cybertron Evac and am currently split about which of the two Universe repaints I should get.

So any opinions?

TheDirtyDigger Guest

All depends on if you're more partial to red or green.

Springer looks nice.....

Great question! A couple of things I've considered:

1. There is another [arguably] Classics Springer, from Botcon 2007, which is a repaint of Cybertron Defense Hot Shot so if you only want one Springer in your display, this is an option.

2. Roadbuster is also a repaint of Cybertron Defense Hot Shot, so I figured I'd display Universe Springer (and put away Botcon Springer) as to not display two of the same mold for distinctly different characters. I also simply much prefer the Evac mold for Springer.

3. Blades would look really good in a display next to Inferno, Prowl, Ratchet and Red Alert, a sort of quasi-Protectobots.

At the moment, I already have the 2 Springers and Roadbuster, but point 3 is pushing me to try and find a cheap Blades as well.

I'd go with Blades for a couple of reasons.
    1: G1 Blades was a rescue 'copter, Springer was...futuristic. The Evac mold is of a rescue chopper - better homage IMO.
    2: With the back-guns down Blades does look pretty close to G1 Blades, whereas as a triple changer Springer looked more like...well... not this.
    3: G1 Blades had a penchant for hand-to-hand combat and so the robot mode chopper blade gimmick actually fits pretty well IMO, where as Springer had super-jump-power and a removable sword.
    4: Unlike Springer Blades wasn't a triple changer, and
    5: FP are apparently doing up a new triple-changing toy with a helicopter alt-mode...
    6: Blades is a more widespread release and wasn't part of a 2-pack, so is presumably easier to find and cheaper.

I'd go for Springer. Blades' red looks too overwhelming whereas Springer's colours seem to work together in a more appealing way. It's all rather subjective though - as TheDirtyDigger said, it depends on which one tickles your fancy.

I think both are mediocre repaints, but Springer comes with Ratbat who is cool. So he wins in my opinion, though not of his own merits.

Thanks for the opinions guys! And thanks Krayt for the lineup shot

After seeing Krayt's pic, I think the Universe repaints look better than the original Evac.

I'm leaning towards Springer, but might might pick up Blades if I cannot find him.

The problem is how they're sold. Blades is just a Voyager, not store exclusive, whereas you're only going to find Springer at Toys R Us in a 2 pack. Ratbat is a great figure to have as well, and overall the Springer toy is probably just a small edge over Blades.

Though I have both and love the mould enough to justify it