Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Insurance & Securing toys - tips, questions and options (browse whole topic)

Check the pds for various insurers, the tfs will be covered under contents, but it is best to specify them as a lot (for example, "transformers toy collection, value $xx.xx) and document the collection for your personal records.

Even if the total value is less than the minimum specified amount (Usually 5k) list it anyway. It shouldn't cost anything to specify items under contents insurance.

When i was doing insurance training for a job i made sure to find out this stuff for when i insure my collection.

If it helps all I had to do was send an itemised list and picture to my insurer (RAC) and they included it as part of the insurance, no extra cover required. Luckily I had a spreadsheet and a recent photo of my collection. I valued the items at cost price, not replacement price which I think would be difficult to estimate.

Don't insurance companies work off the cost of replacement though? I mean, my MISB G1 Pointblank would've cost about $20, but even I would highly doubt I could replace it even in loose mint complete condition for that price.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Don't insurance companies work off the cost of replacement though? I mean, my MISB G1 Pointblank would've cost about $20, but even I would highly doubt I could replace it even in loose mint complete condition for that price.
    Do you have proof of that price? Heh I was just thinking how do I prove the value of each transformer? I suppose I could go back through paypal and hundreds of emails working out each purchase but even thinking about that gives me a pain

I actually went to a local bank a few months ago and asked about this -- I was told to consider how much it would cost to replace the collection if it were lost now, because the insurance will pay out whatever that replacement cost should be. So we discussed how one goes about estimating that replacement cost, and I was told that even as simple as checking eBay is acceptable.

i'm going to hate going back through my collection and trying to remember how much i payed and what the replacement costs are gonna be.

It's hard when a good chunk of your collection was accumulated during your childhood. I got Apeface and Snapdragon MISB as Xmas gifts in 1987... I'm guessing my mum paid $20-30 for them... but I don't know for sure. Thunderwing was a bday gift in 1989 - I have no idea how much he costed. I bought the Pretender Monsters from Kmart for a couple of bucks each MOSC when they came out... but they'd cost a small fortune to replace in that condition now!

So as the bank told me, it's not at all about how much you paid to obtain the toys, but how much it would cost to replace it. Look at say car insurance -- it's like say car insurance, you can either insure it for the cost of replacement, or at its market value. I don't think car insurance covers you for its original retail cost, since cars are a depreciating investment. Same with say house insurance -- they don't insure you for the market value of the house, but the cost of rebuilding it. To my understanding, property insurance is about the cost of replacing the insured property (hence why they might insure a car for its market value, but not a house - because the cost of rebuilding a house might be quite different to the cost of selling it).

I'm not an expert on insurance, but that's how it was explained to me by an issuer at a bank.

I figured that if I lost all my transformers I would probably give up collecting. Maybe. But to accumulate all the ones I had and in the same condition would definitely cost me more now than what I paid for them initially.

I guess it depends on how badly you want to replace them all, and for what purpose you are collecting them. If it's something that you're very passionate about then for sure, try valuing them at replacement value. Of course for various figures this may change over time depending on what is popular or not.

If it's something that you enjoy on the side but you still have other interests then you'll probably just be disappointed with the loss for a while but will find some other way to fill the void. Going through the exercise of valuing everything at replacement cost will probably be too much effort.

I would consider my collection relatively small at just over 100 however for other members who have 1,000's including figures from the 80's etc I imagine that they would be pretty keen to replace as many as possible.

Either way I would say if you are going to value your collection then do what is right for you because that is all that matters.

BTW Goktimus, I like the red OP shirt in your signature block, I've got one just like it.

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

People automatically undervalue things like this.

When you really sit down and work out your replacement cost, it's generally a fair bit higher than you'd have originally estimated.

You can list items individually. Have fun with that.

But dated photographs MUST be kept. Keep a spare copy on a flash drive and give to a relative who doesn't live with you.

You need to be able to provide satisfactory proof you owned these items at the time of whatever the calamity was.

Generally, it's a good idea to have a photo amongst them that has that day's newspaper clearly visible and verifying the date.

We have a thread somewhere regarding insuring our collections here.... not very adept at finding it in search but Im sure somebody here could post a link eventually

I know what you mean,
    I kept my Spreadsheet list up to date when I was starting coz of excitement - G1 and all that alone is a bit too much, then I have separate sheets for every other line, but after the 1000s mark, nay the 800s I just couldnt be bothered anymore. Ive included it in the insurance for my contents with NRMA but admittedly it underinsured as I dint get it properly assessed at the time I applied, it has grown exponentially since. We really should try and get a good valuer and prolly some insurer specializing in things like these - or antique insurers - I wonder at times when I watch Bargain hunt or Antiques roadshow - they often recommend an insurance price for an item and makes me think - who are these insurers and where can I get in contact with them - Australian equivalent. Coz yeah G1 alone is gonna be pricey....
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]