Thread: Insurance & Securing toys - tips, questions and options (browse whole topic)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Insurance & Securing toys - tips, questions and options (browse whole topic)

EDIT by ADMIN - this is a combined topic of various questions and advice about insuring toys, and recommendations/experience on Insurance companies and policies... including Valuations for Insurance.
    And on a related point, notes on securing your collection from theft, as Insurance is generally for any type of Loss.

This is something that we probably should be noting or announcing from time to time, for the benefit of the newer members and guests.

As with any valuables, if you have a growing collection, or some pricey pieces, remember to secure them (and your house in general).... and as always, be careful with how you publicise them* and who you let into your house if you don't yet know them, even if they appear to be a fellow fan. Until you trust someone who has access to your house, always secure and watch over your valuables - toys or not.
    (*this is why some sections here are not visible to non-members, to protect members who don't want the public to know what they own and where they live)

It doesn't even have to be someone claiming to be a toy collector either, as TV shows like Toy Hunters is educating non-fans into the potential value of vintage toys that people here are collecting. If something is small and publicly known to be valuable, toys, jewellery, electronics or cash, they become a target... so...
    - Document everything you own,
    - Secure it,
    - Restrict or Supervise Access, and
    - Insure it.

-----------------------
    -----------------------
    Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been a discussion in previous threads (haven't been able to find any traces of precedence so i thought i'd bring this up).

I was wondering how people have insured themselves for loss or damage for their TF collection?

I've found NRMA to be relatively cheap (approx $400-500+ annually which covers about $9900 of items); Anything in excess of $9900 requires a valuer. I'm not sure if this is the way to go so I was hoping for somebody to she some light or share their experiences on this.
    Last edited by griffin; 20th January 2015 at 10:33 PM.