Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beware - "New toys" returned with old toy inside box

Quote Originally Posted by Tober View Post
    Good! Do you prosecute for fraud, theft or anything?
    If we can prove that they were the ones who changed the stock over...
    So with refunds all we can really do is refuse the refund
    but if it's at POS we can check the security videos and see if that customer was the one to swap the stock
    IYKWIM..?

I didnt think the average toy collector would go to SO much trouble - those twisty ties are a nightmare - I couldn't imagine trying to do them UP again to return. Is it really worth the effort, when the toy might be twenty to eighty dollars?

What I'd be more concerned would be someone buying minty fresh KO transformers, and then getting an old damaged G1 box to put them in (you know, so you can't see Bomander Grimlock, etc and the obvious packaging errors).

Or for that matter, an Encore release inside hasbro packaging. As soon as I hear of an upcoming Encore release, I rule out ever buying a non AFA-graded G1 Hasbro version.
    Last edited by reillyd; 13th July 2009 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    Or for that matter, an Encore release inside hasbro packaging. As soon as I hear of an upcoming Encore release, I rule out ever buying a non AFA-graded G1 Hasbro version.
    Buying AFA-Graded toys doesn't necessarily help - they've graded knockoffs as originals before:

Personally, I think AFA graded stuff is over rated.

Hey Larry! Come'ere and tell me what grade I should give this blue Transmorpher guy with big sunglasses!

Quote Originally Posted by nettie! View Post
    If we can prove that they were the ones who changed the stock over...
    So with refunds all we can really do is refuse the refund
    but if it's at POS we can check the security videos and see if that customer was the one to swap the stock
    IYKWIM..?
    Good to know. So what if someone buys a TF2 Leader Optimus, swaps it with a TF1 Leader Optimus and then brings it back claiming that someone else swapped it and they didn't realise unlill their kid pointed it out? Does returned stock go back to the shelf if opened or sent back to Hasbro?

Just curious, I don't collect the movie lines except for a few deluxes.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Buying AFA-Graded toys doesn't necessarily help - they've graded knockoffs as originals before:

Oh crap!

That is SO not good.

Apparently swaps are not uncommon to retail though - just read about the ipod box containing a brick on Ars Technia
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/...erspective.ars

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post

sure thats a KO and not a chinese rerelease cause i have one of those too

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    sure thats a KO and not a chinese rerelease cause i have one of those too
    I really hope you don't mean you have an AFA Beachcomber that looks like that, because unfortunately they're knockoffs, not Chinese reissues. With mini-Autobots, if the holepunch is in the centre of the top of the card (instead of where they're meant to be - to the right - above the toy itself), it's always a KO - it's an easy spot. It's hard to see on this picture, but KO Beachcombers also have an Autobot sticker on their chests instead of the trapesium with an orangey circle in the middle that they're supposed to have. There's also supposed to be a typo somewhere on the back of KO Beachcombers - I can't remember what it is though. There were real 1990s Chinese reissue Beachcombers, but they had holepunches to the right, the correct non-Autobot chest sticker and no typo on the back.

I believe what happened in this particular case with Beachcombers was that AFA stuffed up twice. First they labelled knockoff Beachcombers as original Beachcombers. Then apparently they bought back some of the knockoff Beachcombers for some reason and relabeled them as "1990s Chinese Reissue". But they're not, they're just AFA graded knockoffs. Which is abysmal, because it means people are paying more for AFA graded knockoffs than for real non AFA MOSC G1 Beachcombers.

[Yet another reason why I would never waste money on an AFA graded toy (the main reason would be that I can never open up and play with an AFA toy or it loses even more value than all the other toys I open.)]