Page 237 of 481 FirstFirst ... 217227232233234235236237238239240241242247257 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 4804

Thread: I need to vent!

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Sounds like someone deserves to buy themselves a treat (Transformer).
    Don't worry as soon as I see one worthy it will be bought
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Slightly annoyed by people lately refering to themselves as having OCD. A bloke at work today was saying how his OCD wouldn't let him leave any gaps in his PC desktop icons. Another person I speak to regularly mentioned how he had OCD because he kept his DVDs in alphabetical order

That is not Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I have a family member who really has this MENTAL ILLNESS, not merely a desire to have a nice looking desktop or a tidy in tray. My family member once ran themselves 2 hours late for a job interview because they wanted to make sure the fridge door was closed. So they stood in front of it for 2 hours just pressing on the door every 5 seconds to be sure. This person has hidden their parents car keys because they believed that if that person left the house, it would somehow mean something terrible would happen to another family member. This person washes their hands so often that they bleed from the skin being so dry, they come home from work and obsess for hours or even days about trivial conversations/happenings from that day.

Some of those were before medication, but some of those still happen with medication and a good mental health plan.

So yeah. Bit more to it then alphabetizing you DVD collection.

Ok I'm done; feel better
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Decepticon Guest

This goes out to BigW! 2 weeks they have had basically no Lego on the shelves that was advertised in the toy catalogue (due to buyers snapping them up on day 1). Go there today, the first day after the sale and everything that WAS on sale has magically reappeared....at full price!

Trent: OCD seems to have become a new synonym for any kind of anal retention -- but you're right, just because someone's really anally retentive doesn't mean they have OCD. I don't have OCD (never been diagnosed with it), but I'm so massively anally retentive that there's a loud "Pop!" sound each time I get off the toilet seat.

But honestly, don't take it to heart. People often throw around medical terminology incorrectly just as a light hearted thing... I mean, if someone screws up and they go, "Aw man, I'm such a retard!", or if they're clumsy and go, "D'oh! That was spastic of me!", they don't mean it literally - it's just an expression. Remember that even the word "idiot" used to be a proper medical term for people with severe intellectual disabilities but it fell out of official usage around the early 20th Century - nowadays when people refer to someone as an "idiot" they don't literally mean someone who's mean diagnosed with a real actual intellectual impairment. It's just an expression.

And terminologies for mental/intellectual conditions change all the time, because usually once people start using the term in a broad general fashion, then the medical profession feels the need to change it so that people don't get it confused. That's what happened with the term "idiot" -- it became too commonly used to refer to people who weren't actually intellectually handicapped, so they changed it to "mental retardation", but now people can be called "retard" or "retarded" even if they're not diagnosed with a mental retardation, so they've changed that to "intellectual disability," and in a few decades that'll probably change to something else. Reading retardation is now called "dyslexia" and so on and so on.

When I was studying special education, at our very first lecture our professor just told all the students that because the terms keep changing and changing (and different countries use different terms too) -- he couldn't be bothered keeping up with the trends, so he told us that he was just going to stick with calling everything some kind of retardation and anyone an intellectual disability "retarded" and "retards" - because these were once proper terms (and still are in some parts of the world). He said that he was apologising now, at the first lecture, if anyone takes offence to it... but that's what he was going to use for the rest of the course. So consequently, in my mind, I just think of it all as forms of retardation and retards... and these aren't inherently bad words, "retard" just means to be slow or delayed (i.e. delayed cognitive/intellectual development), it's only because people started throwing the words around as insults that they became politically incorrect. When talking to people I'll try to use PC terms like "intellectual handicap" or "learning disabilities," but if I'm talking with other teachers where there aren't students or parents around, we'll just say "retard", "retardation" etc. We know that we're using the terms in their proper context and aren't aiming to offend anyone with it (it'd be similar to say dog breeders referring to their female dogs as bitches -- it's not offensive when used in the correct context).

But I can understand your frustration... it's like if you show any sign of being organised or structured or consistent then people reckon you're OCD, which totally isn't true. After all, just because someone is wheezing or out of breath doesn't automatically mean they're asthmatic; likewise just because someone is very structured and consistent doesn't mean they're OCD.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Trent: OCD seems to have become a new synonym for any kind of anal retention -- but you're right, just because someone's really anally retentive doesn't mean they have OCD. I don't have OCD (never been diagnosed with it), but I'm so massively anally retentive that there's a loud "Pop!" sound each time I get off the toilet seat.
    That made me choke on my water

And as for the rest you are right, over time as people use the term 'OCD' to describe them being a bit anal, it diminishes the seriousness of the real thing. Which basically leads to discrimination due to people not understanding what the real thing actually is.

I encounter this a lot and it happens with most forms of mental illness. Hence the name changes.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by canofwhoopass_87 View Post
    Dude, you have to at least let this one slide. I'd say that there are plenty of people that spell (school) "stationery" with an "a". I reckon that's a pretty honest mistake.

Hate to be a pupil branded with "inexcusable" english for that.

Well I'll be. Had no idea. So the pepper sprayed teenagers and the snooty rich couple were all actors? What the hell man?!
    Don't forget that sign in Melbourne for that restaurant that says caesar salad instead of ceasar salad. lol and it's on eof those gigh quality professional restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    Don't forget that sign in Melbourne for that restaurant that says caesar salad instead of ceasar salad.
    CAESAR is the correct spelling. "Ceasar" is incorrect. Remember that in Classical Latin it's pronounced similarly to "Kaiser" (whereas "Seezer" came later from Vulgar Latin).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesar_%28title%29
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/caesar?s=t

Interestingly enough, Takara used both Classical and Vulgar pronunciations in 1989/Transformers Victory. The Decepticon Breast Force gestalt Lio Caesar (ライオカイザー) is pronounced "LYE-OH KAI-SAR" (hence it's often Romanised as Lio Kaiser by Western fans). The Autobot Brainmaster gestalt is called Road Caesar (ロードシーザー) and uses the Vulgar Latin pronunciation of "ROAD SEE-ZAR" (and thus English speaking fans still spell it as "Road Caesar" since the English pronunciation of Caesar is based off Vulgar Latin anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    it's on eof those gigh quality

CAESAR is the correct spelling. "Ceasar" is incorrect. Remember that in Classical Latin it's pronounced similarly to "Kaiser" (whereas "Seezer" came later from Vulgar Latin).

Interestingly enough, Takara used both Classical and Vulgar pronunciations in 1989/Transformers Victory. The Decepticon Breast Force gestalt Lio Caesar (ライオカイザー) is pronounced "LYE-OH KAI-SAR" (hence it's often Romanised as Lio Kaiser by Western fans). The Autobot Brainmaster gestalt is called Road Caesar (ロードシーザー) and uses the Vulgar Latin pronunciation of "ROAD SEE-ZAR" (and thus English speaking fans still spell it as "Road Caesar" since the English pronunciation of Caesar is based off Vulgar Latin anyway).

Wait i meant it said ceasar instead of caesar (knew i'd get them mixed up) so yeah it says ceasar. lol

Knowing your love of the English language Gok, here is a list of bogan baby names that practically rape every law of the English language... enjoy

http://thingsboganslike.com/a-bogue-by-any-other-name/
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Coolgardie WA, but Townsville (the last 15 years)

After reading these, having a tyranid stuck to your finger ain't that bad... XD