Page 33 of 481 FirstFirst ... 132328293031323334353637384353 ... LastLast

Thread: I need to vent!

Am sorry to hear what happened. At least nothing happened to u directly in that they didn't physically harm u or your family.

As for security, why not try getting a dog like a big German Shepherd?

yeah thought about that! but its just expensive enough with toy collection german shepherds are big dogs and are expensive to take care off. thanks anyway.

As you know, my collection room has locks on the window and door, and my gun Transformers are in a locked display unit; all part of the legal requirements for gun TF ownership, but the lock on the window and door provide additional security for the other Transformers in my room. And of course that's in addition to the regular perimeter security of my home (i.e. all other doors and windows have locks).

Just be mindful to keep everything locked when you're not at home. The mistake I made when I was burgled last time was that I left my small kitchen window open. The window is a bit high up and the window is quite small, but the burglar pushed the wheelie bin right up against the window to climb on, and must have squeezed through to get in. Part of the problem was that even if that window was closed, it didn't have a decent lock... and the back door lock was broken (I literally had to push a chair up against the door knob to keep it closed). But that's because I was renting at the time and my landlord was a tightwad who didn't want to pay to get anything fixed (my ceiling always leaked when it rained, water from the shower would soak into the adjoining room etc.). So I moved out of that house quickly after that burglary!

But yeah, assuming that all your doors and windows have working locks then just remember to lock them. I would follow the guidelines for secured storage for gun Transformers for your collection room, even if you don't own any gun toys. i.e.:
    + Install a lock on your collection room door
    + If your collection room is on the ground floor, install window security (bars or shutters)

Another option is to purchase display units with lockable doors. But this can be a very expensive venture if you have a large collection, or you could simply lock your most valuable toys in that unit and display the rest normally.

You could also buy a "Beware of Dog" sign just as a bluff? Another option (again costly) is to get a house alarm, preferably with back to base (i.e.: the security company will send someone to check your house if the alarm is tripped).

P.S.: Here's a useful link from National Crime Prevention: Lock Burglars Out

Most home burglars are not collectors. They don’t want to own or keep your goods. They just want to take as much out of your house as they can
    and sell it as fast as they can, for as much money as they can get.
    This is true. When my toys were stolen they only stole toys that were in box. Those original G1s were stolen because they were displayed in their G1 reissue boxes. Sometimes when I buy a reissue I'll "retire" the original G1 toy by keeping it inside the reissue's box. BTA Alert was loose in box and BTA Broadcast was MISB, so they were nicked. All my loose toys were untouched, including all of my convention and e-Hobby exclusives.

Their primary targets are expensive items that are highly portable and easy to dispose of - like television or VCR sets, lap-top computers, cash,
    credit cards, handbags, wallets, jewellery, home audio equipment, power tools and garden tools, household electricals, computers, prescription
    drugs, bicycles, and clothing - especially brand labels and leather jackets.
    I've twice had bicycles stolen and yeah, during my last burglarly I had my DVD/VCR and PS2 nicked. They're looking for anything that they can easily sell off the street for cash.

They’re usually not shy. They’ll not only walk right in if the door’s open, many of them don’t really mind if you’re happily pottering around somewhere else in the house - while they help themselves. According to statistics compiled by the NRMA in New South Wales, more than 30 per cent of home burglaries happen when someone is at home.
    While I was living at that dodgy rental house (I was burgled 3 times in that house!) I once had my wallet sitting on the dining table in the back room with the back door open because it was a hot day, but I was in another room on the computer. Someone walked in and took the wallet!

We keep our screen doors locked all the time, even when we're at home.

Now regarding the "Beware of Dog" sign...
    They’re not keen on other people’s dogs.

According to recent research in the Australian Capital Territory, burglars prefer not to encounter dogs in the houses they’re breaking into; in fact 75 per cent of burglars questioned in an ACT survey in 1999 said the presence of a dog “puts them off” breaking into a house.
    For more information you can also check out www.crimeprevention.gov.au
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 26th November 2009 at 11:54 AM.

I bought a small alarm system for my collection and living room but I don't know how effective it may be if someone breaks in. The alarm will sound but would anybody care to contact the police?

The only thing that the alarm may be good for is to frighten the burglar away before he has a chance to steal anything but if he is aware that neighbors would generally not care then I have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    According to recent research in the Australian Capital Territory, burglars prefer not to encounter dogs in the houses they’re breaking into; in fact 75 per cent of burglars questioned in an ACT survey in 1999 said the presence of a dog “puts them off” breaking into a house.
    They surveyed burglars? Those wacky Canberrans!

Chief Wiggum'd!

Another good link: Protecting Your Home From Intruders

That stuff about car security has me especially worried now because our school is currently undergoing some construction meaning that we've lost 60% of our staff parking. I parked my car on a street round the corner this morning! <TOUCH WOOD>

Chief Wiggum'd!

Another good link: Protecting Your Home From Intruders

That stuff about car security has me especially worried now because our school is currently undergoing some construction meaning that we've lost 60% of our staff parking. I parked my car on a street round the corner this morning! <TOUCH WOOD>
    Same kinda thing happened at my fiance's work. Normally of a night she will park her car at a bowser so she can see it out the window. Now Woolies have said that she has to park around the side (no cameras) There either needs to be cameras there to watch over staff cars, or they can get f***ed in my opinion. It has happened a number of times that someone has done something to her car, and Woolies won't do a damn thing about it. Even once some ass stole one of her tires.

God I hate Woolies and I dont even work for them

Could she recommend that they install one of those big look-round-the-corner mirrors that they have at some car parks and tight turn road corners (they have LOTS of them in Japan cos their roads are so narrow )? It would be a much cheaper and easier alternative that would work just as well.

Could she recommend that they install one of those big look-round-the-corner mirrors that they have at some car parks and tight turn road corners (they have LOTS of them in Japan cos their roads are so narrow )? It would be a much cheaper and easier alternative that would work just as well.
    A camera would be much better. If you have seen the Petrol station in Werrington, you'd know. Plus with a mirror, can't always look at it, a camera it can record.

The mirror wouldn't be good as CCTV but it'd still be better than nothing. I'm imagining that Woolie's argument against your fiancée's suggestion is the cost of setting up and maintaining CCTV, so perhaps they would be willing to consider a cheaper alternative. <shrug> Or maybe set up a fake camera? I dunno. <shrug> I suppose another choice might be to install one of those sensitive car alarms that go off when someone touches the car... but they can be so annoying cos they're prone to being accidentally triggered (and people soon learn to ignore alarms that "cry wolf"). But in terms of alerting your fiancée while she's at work it might work.

Gawd... this reminds me of the first school I taught at in a rather shabby part of Western Sydney. I lost all my hubcaps! Another teacher had his new car _buried_ in dirt. Our Principal once told us at a staff meeting _not_ to bring our good car to school (which doesn't work when you only have one car! :/)