Page 42 of 481 FirstFirst ... 223237383940414243444546475262 ... LastLast

Thread: I need to vent!

You have to snipe on Ebay or you loose. It's a dirty practice but its mandatory if you want to compete.

It's basically a game of poker, by bidding early you are simply giving away your hand so you have to bluff them until the last minute where you drop your bomb. It's horrible but the ebay system allows it and you can't win without it.

Yes, I stupidly put less then what I was really willing to pay.
    I have had experiences in the past with either the seller proxy bidding the stuff up or smart asses bidding it up so that I have to pay that (maybe they think their funny, who knows), so I'm wary of putting my real maximum on things.
    I just didn't get to put that maximum on before it was sniped.
    Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    You have to snipe on Ebay or you loose. It's a dirty practice but its mandatory if you want to compete.
    Which is one reason why I virtually never bid, only "buy it now".
    Quote Originally Posted by Starscream212 View Post
    What did you loose on?
    Bulk auction. 8 MoSC Classic deluxes.
    Now I'll have to pay twice as much. Not that I can afford that

Realistically I know I have myself to blame partly, doesn't mean I can't still be annoyed

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren View Post
    Yes, I stupidly put less then what I was really willing to pay.
    I have had experiences in the past with either the seller proxy bidding the stuff up or smart asses bidding it up so that I have to pay that (maybe they think their funny, who knows), so I'm wary of putting my real maximum on things.
    I just didn't get to put that maximum on before it was sniped.

Which is one reason why I virtually never bid, only "buy it now".

Bulk auction. 8 MoSC Classic deluxes.
    Now I'll have to pay twice as much. Not that I can afford that

Realistically I know I have myself to blame partly, doesn't mean I can't still be annoyed
    The magic of ebay is you never know what is going to happen. Sure, sometimes you'll miss out as you have on this occassion but there will be other times where you will be over the moon at the great deal you got!

Some times I got lucky...
    MOC G1 Turbomaster Boss - AU$25 shipped
    MOC G1 Turbomaster Hurricane - AU$30 shipped
    Complete G1 Bruticus - free (long story)
    Mint/complete G1 Doubledealer - $100

As Jim Murphy would say 'enjoy the good times'.

When you get sniped enough, you just end up becoming a sniper. Or these people who have an insane amount of money and just place a massive bid at the begining of the auction to keep all others out.

...course... those are the kinds of people that cause me to spend more on ebay than I should. "Ohh no way are you gonna get that item that cheap pal.. ill make you pay for it!!" ... "You are the highest bidder" "...Crap..."

then of course no one outbids you and you end up paying way more than you wanted.... fooorr some reason Ive yet to learn Stick to sniping.. its safer hehe.

It's basically a game of poker, by bidding early you are simply giving away your hand so you have to bluff them until the last minute where you drop your bomb. It's horrible but the ebay system allows it and you can't win without it.
    Kup, that's not right - I've won heaps of auctions on eBay at decent prices by bidding early and just leaving it. Looking at my bid history, I've won three items in total on eBay this past month - one by bidding 2 days 23 hours before the end, another 1d 23h and the other 7 hours before the end.

There would be nothing worse than living my life around the end of an auction just so I can snipe a toy. Life's too short.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Kup, that's not right - I've won heaps of auctions on eBay at decent prices by bidding early and just leaving it. Looking at my bid history, I've won three items in total on eBay this past month - one by bidding 2 days 23 hours before the end, another 1d 23h and the other 7 hours before the end.

There would be nothing worse than living my life around the end of an auction just so I can snipe a toy. Life's too short.
    Sorry but in my experience the way you propose only adds to higher prices and a higher chance of missing out on the item. For most of the years I have known ebay, I usually went for bin or low in demand items not requiring a snipe but in the last couple of years I started collecting Transformers and got fed up of being sniped constantly by just a dollar and begun sniping myself which most certainly improved my chances by a lot.

If I can take 2 minutes to write a forum post I can take the last 2 minutes of an an auction to bid. You seem to think that sniping is a daily thing for someone practicing it. On average I only snipe something like once every 2-3 weeks since I usually go for bin prices and resort to auctions when I have no other choice.
    Last edited by kup; 20th January 2010 at 01:52 AM.

Sorry but in my experience the way you propose only adds to higher prices and a higher chance of missing out on the item.
    If you were right then it wouldn't matter if the price went higher if I missed out on the item - I wouldn't have to pay for it. And if I did get the item then I'd get it at a price I was willing to pay, since it's at or below the price I bid in the first place. In my experience, it's the sniping that leads to higher prices - there's always a whole bunch of people all bidding in the last minute who get caught up in the adrenaline of it and bid more than they would have if they'd just made a single bid in the first place.

If I can take 2 minutes to write a forum post I can take the last 2 minutes of an an auction to bid. You seem to think that sniping is a daily thing for someone practicing it.
    For many people it is. And I can write a forum post at my own leisure at any time that I just happen to be on the computer. If I want to snipe, I have to put my life on hold, break off ties with the people around me and ensure I'm going to be at a computer at that moment and ready to bid. I'd rather have my life and live it doing what I want rather than live it around the end of eBay auctions. If "time is money", then even if I was allegedly paying more by bidding early then it would be worth it, since I'm not wasting my time or interrupting my life around internet auctions.

A have gotten a lot of good bargains from a snipe fest - Only when someone drops a bomb in the last minute like $200 for a $60 item that's when things get out of hand but that hasn't been that common in my experience although it has somewhat become more common in rarer items such as the Micromaster Transports and Pretenders.

Also when you are after items that do not appear that often on ebay, you can't just make your bid early and let it be as you don't only drive the price up as other bidders try to figure out your max but you will also most likely loose to the snipers waiting for it at Auctions end who will get the item for a $1 more than your max. You'll potentially miss out and it could be another year or two before the figure appears again in a reasonable condition - I am sure that the snipe is more time saving that searching ebay constantly for months until the item reappears again only to likely loose it again by bidding early.

I am happy that bidding early has worked for you but its been the exact opposite for me. I lost far too many auctions by bidding early to go back to it and its hardly a time intensive thing as they usually end while I am at work so all that I have to do is keep a window open in the back with the auction, put an alarm the minute before it ends, Alt-tab and bid and then Alt-tab back and hope for the best - That's it. I have probably taken longer writing this post than making a typical snipe and I am sure that I have wasted more time doing unproductive things like day dreaming or reading some wikipedia article than sniping.
    Last edited by kup; 20th January 2010 at 02:43 PM.

I am happy that bidding early has worked for you but its been the exact opposite for me. I lost far too many auctions by bidding early to go back to it and its hardly a time intensive thing as they usually end while I am at work so all that I have to do is keep a window open in the back with the auction, put an alarm the minute before it ends, Alt-tab and bid and then Alt-tab back and hope for the best - That's it. I have probably taken longer writing this post than making a typical snipe and I am sure that I have wasted more time doing unproductive things like day dreaming or reading some wikipedia article than sniping.
    Fair enough. And I have nothing against sniping or snipers at all - there's nothing wrong with it and (unlike may practices on eBay: shill bidding, bumping up postage rates, etc) it's completely moral and legal. I just find for myself that bidding before the end is better. Sniping can be disappointing for me too - I go to all the trouble to wait for the end of an auction only to find that:

a.) Some other sniper outbids me anyway.
    b.) The internet inevitably chooses that minute to have a spack attack and so my bid doesn't get through. Or
    c.) The phone rings or something happens or I get distracted and don't get a chance to snipe anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    a.) Some other sniper outbids me anyway.
    b.) The internet inevitably chooses that minute to have a spack attack and so my bid doesn't get through. Or
    c.) The phone rings or something happens or I get distracted and don't get a chance to snipe anyway!
    I had c) on an number of occasions. When C happens there is nothing that can really be done - Sometimes something at work or a social occasion - The scary thing is that now I have a web enabled smart phone which allows me to be connected anywhere at anytime which means that I theoretically can be sniping when:

- Out with friends
    - On a date
    - and if I want to pull a George Costanza: Having sex

Luckily I am yet to use the phone for anything more than transferring money to my mainstream account when I need some but the possibilities are endless..