Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: TF2 - ROTF Movie reviews and comments.

Check out this review. I couldn't stop laughing but I had to admit its true.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vide...ormers-Revenge

Quote Originally Posted by Scattershot View Post

That was a very well-informed review. Good on him.

Copy-pasted from every journal I have on the internet.

So I went and saw Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen today, or Transformers: Reveng as my movie ticket called it.

It was a mess of a film. It had a few solid sequences around the start and the middle, but it was kind of muddly everywhere else. The opening sequence in Shanghai was great...then we cut to Sam moving out of home and accidentally causing kitchen appliances to come to life...then we cut back to the robots...then to Sam...then to the robots...seriously, it was like lurching from an awesome party into a less awesome party until the two eventually just formed one massive party.

But it was also an AWESOME mess. There were a lot of kick-ass moments, mainly because of Prime and Jetfire.

Speaking of Jetfire, I freaking love Jetfire. He was awesome. I want his toy.

There were several moments which could have been awesome, but weren't due to either really confusing camerawork (if things like Cloverfield made you sick, don't see this film, it is worse), hi-then-die characters (oh hi there Blackout-lookalike, and Sideways, and Demolisher, and Rampage...), fights being pathetically short (there was a lot of ripping apart of robots in this), or all three. I'm looking at you, Devastator. Seriously, he just shows up, causes some devastation, then gets blown up. What the hell.

A bunch of characters I expected to see more of got little to no screen time. Sideswipe, Jolt, and the Arcee threesome have been hyped up a lot-the first two getting multiple toys, and Sideswipe looking extremely cool. But their total screen-time was less than an hour! Instead, the main Autobots were Bumblebee, Skids, and Mudflap, who, while rather cool and funny, were not really the guys I wanted to see the most. Also, while there were several interesting Decepticons, such as the 2D guy (officially called 'Reedman' and unofficially called 'the Bakugan from hell' by me), Ravage, Soundwave, and Alice, they didn't get enough time.

Also, I found it quite funny. While there were some things that just failed (i.e. Devastator's giant steel wrecking balls), there were more bits that were hilarious. Wheelie, Jetfire, Mudflap, and Skids in particular brought the funny for me. Apparently the last two have caused some controversy due to apparently being racist stereotypes of Afro-Americans. I failed to see that-I saw them more as being parodies of the tryhards who tried to be black gangsta/rappers.

One thing I found unintentionally hilarious was the way they kept chucking Prime's body out of the sky, mainly because I imagined him yelling "F**k yoooooooooooooooooouuuu...", or "Wheeeeeeeeee!" as he fell down (nevermind the fact that he was dead at the time).

Megatron and Starscream just getting away was annoying to me since it seemed like an exit more suitable to a TV episode, not a film.

Overall, I think I'd give it 3.5/5, or a 4. It was better than the first film, but it also had several annoying faults.

Also, where did Soundwave and Wheelie go? They just upped and vanished.

Quote Originally Posted by Scattershot View Post

The guy who did this seems to be trying to imitate Zero Punctuation and failing to notice that Yahtzee's humour stems from his way of describing things (and his images), not endlessly bashing the subject.
    Last edited by SilverDragon; 27th June 2009 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    When the Constructicon by the name of Demolishor was defeated and knocked out of the action, no longer posing a threat - then comes Prime and executes him in cold blood in a savage manner that felt more like the movie artificially trying to be 'hardcore' than anything substantial and so much against the character of Optimus Prime not just from G1 but also the character we saw in the first movie. It was as if Optimus Prime was now a souless avenging killing machine rather than the compassionate leader we saw in the first movie.

Some people have said that he was also savage in the first movie when he decapitated Bonecrusher but that was during combat not after Bonecrusher was down and out of the battle - A little bit of my appreciation for the Prime movie character died when he killed Demolisher in cold Blood.
    Couldn't agree more. In fact I wish they had portrayed Demolishers end the way they did in the comic adaption of the film. It was a lot less heartless and more in keeping with Prime's character.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow
    Except in Anglophone G1 commercial continuity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecehJWexUaE (at least, it looks like Starscream is as small and cute as the teeny tiny Autobot Pretenders.
    I'd always thought that those Transformers were regular size and that it was just PM Prime who was ridiculously huge in his super robot mode. <shrug>

Although perhaps that obnoxious battle armour might give him away.)
    Yeah but they can change out of their armour... as demonstrated to us when the Femaxian Queen elicited Cloudburst to remove his armour in an attempt to do Snoo-Snoo to him.

They'd better make an Alice toy. HasTak is saturating our shelves with everything else from the film, it's ridiculous if she doesn't get one.
    +10!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scattershot

If that guy hated the first movie so bad, why did he watch the sequel?? (o_O) He can whinge all he likes, at the end of the day Michael Bay has his money (unless he illegally downloaded it I suppose :/).

Whenever people ask me what I thought of RotF, I say that I really liked it, but it's the kind of movie that you'll only like if you liked the first one. If you hated the first movie you'll hate RotF too.

As if you'd waste your time and money watching a movie that you're expecting to hate. If I don't think I'll like a movie I won't go see it!! That's why I haven't seen The Incredible Hulk yet, because I hated Hulk. Now I have heard that it is a good movie so I'll probably rent it out on DVD some time and check it out (it shouldn't be a new release any more)
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 27th June 2009 at 09:12 PM.

Just seen it, freaking loved it.enjoyed most of it and on the edge of my seat for most of it...

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    That's why I haven't seen The Incredible Hulk yet, because I hated Hulk. Now I have heard that it is a good movie so I'll probably rent it out on DVD some time and check it out (it shouldn't be a new release any more)
    The Incredible Hulk sh-ts all over Hulk, you should see it
    Last edited by griffin; 1st July 2009 at 12:31 AM.

Okay, it's not Earth, but we may change it to Earth later on!

Hey guys, I haven't been here for a while due to a combination of lack of time and self-imposed ROTF media backout (wanted as much of it to be a surprise as possible).

I thought the film was excellent! It did pretty much everything I wanted, which was:

1. Take everything from the first film and push it as far as possible
    2. Develop the transformers as characters (the Megs/Starscream banter made me want to squeal like a little girl)
    3. Stay true to transformers without merely being two hours of fan service

Other positives (in terms of fan service) include Frank Welker playing Soundwave, Starscream actually sounding like Starscream, incorporating the Matrix of Leadership, and having Constructicons/Devastator. Also, the bit where Jetfire united with Optimus made me want to jump out of my seat.

Also, I liked the story, the acting was solid across the board (special mention to the voice actors who stole the show from the in-the-flesh actors), and the action was good.

4.5 out of 5 from me. I probably would give the original 4.5 as well.

EDIT: One other bit of fan service I forgot to mention...

The bit where Megatron says 'yeeeeessssss' was AWESOME! When he said that I was like 'No way! You gotta be kidding me!' It's awesome how they can grab all these references from all kinds of transformers and roll them into one film (that includes the concept of Allspark fragments bringing someone to life, which was pioneered in TF Animated ).

By the way...

Quote Originally Posted by SilverDragon View Post
    The guy who did this seems to be trying to imitate Zero Punctuation and failing to notice that Yahtzee's humour stems from his way of describing things (and his images), not endlessly bashing the subject.
    Yeah, I noticed that too. It was a really crappy attempt at mimicking Zero Punctuation, and the pictures weren't even in sync with the words!

Quote Originally Posted by loophole
    The Incredible Hulk sh-ts all over Hulk, you should see it
    I disagree, I actually think it's the other way around. You see, everyone says the new Hulk is better because it has more action and less talking, but I've seen both movies and I actually think the new one has more talking than the old one. The difference is that in the new one, the dialogue sucks, the acting is the worst I've seen in years, and the action scenes aren't even that good. Ang Lee's Hulk IMO had a lot of talking and not much action, but the acting was better, the story was really good, and the few action scenes it did have were better than the few action scenes in the new Hulk film!

In closing, The Incredible Hulk (IMO) truly sucks arse, and if not for Hancock it would have been my pick for worst film of '08 (out of all the films I saw at the cinemas).
    Last edited by griffin; 1st July 2009 at 12:32 AM.

just curious, anyone know what the 'extra scenes' in imaz were?? I remember reading there were supposed to be extra scenes in the imax cut, but i didn't see any.
    5 BATS!! That is the number of the day!!!

Check my deviantart http://wiigii.deviantart.com

watched the normal cinema version with my two boys on Sunday, ran into Gok at Parramatta.

The extra scenes for the Imax was a longer forest & desert fight.