16 43.24%
  • I prefer better engineering over visual likeness

15 40.54%
  • I prefer visually accurate Super GoBots

6 16.22%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Visual fidelity vs engineering

Default Visual fidelity vs engineering

Which do you prefer? A toy that is more movie/show-like (or "accurate") but is not as well engineered, or a toy that is better engineered but is not as movie/show-like?

This poll was inspired by the Revenge of the Fallen Constructicons and Devastator. In this case, we're getting toys that are (supposedly) more movie-accurate, but at the expense of design/engineering because they're unable to produce one set of Constructicons who are able to transform and combine like every other Transformers gestalt can.

So do you actually prefer this, or would you prefer movie-accuracy being sacrificed for the sake of better designed/engineered toys? In this case, having one set of Constructicons who can transform and combine, but are not as visually movie accurate.

For me I prefer better engineered toys over movie-accuracy. For this reason I've decided to sell my Robot Replica Frenzy and keep my FAB Frenzy. FAB Frenzy is not as movie-accurate as RR Frenzy, but IMHO it's an infinitely better toy than RR Frenzy.

I suppose a significant factor for my taste in toys is the fact that I want to be able to enjoy playing with them. My toys are playthings first and display items second. If the toy's not as fun to play with, then I just don't like them as much.

So vote away!

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I dunno, I'd have to say both.

Cybertron nailed it. It freaking nailed it. Engineering and visual accuracy. It's the best cartoon:toy we've ever had, and it seems ever will.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

As with everything, it's all about the balance.

I would say for the movie series, probably visual accuracy. Dunno why, its just the way I feel. Probably stems from me seeing the toys as "toys of the movie", not the movie being a "movie of the toys" if that makes any sense.

Any other series, engineering.

I voted for 'I prefer better visual likeness over engineering'.

The Transformers Animated line is my favourite by far and I'd be disappointed if the toys didn't match their on-screen counterparts as accurately as they do. Fortunately I don't think TFA sacrifices anything to achive this so you get the best of both worlds (great engineering & on-screen likeness). Furthermore, I don't 'play' with my TF'ers as such. Sure, I enjoy transforming them a few times but for the most part I have them on the shelf and admire them like the masterpieces they are.

I think Devastator is a bit of an unfair example as it's a rare case.
    Obviously I'd love it if the deluxe/voyagers could combine into one megabot but we're not afforded that luxury for whatever reason. Despite this, I still enjoy the constructicons (well 2/3) for the play value that is there and also for their cool looks. Are they screen accurate? Judging from what I've seen of Demolishor in the trailer, they seem to be!

I voted for 'I prefer better visual likeness over engineering'. As long as you can still transformed them. And beside I like my toys to be as accurate visually because it gives you the satisfaction that it actually looks like in the movies. Again as long as you can transform them it don't need to be well engineer

I don't plan on getting all of the Constructicons myself... just the ones i'm fond of. I think you should consider that Demolisher would probably still be a sucky toy even if he combined - it's not like all combiner limbs are inherently great toys, usually the opposite

I think Hasbro just made the decision that will get them the most dollars - rabid fans of Devastator will likely buy the voyager/deluxes, legends set and the standalone beast.

You've commented in a lot of threads about your disappointment with Demolisher - did you read or watch reviews before buying? $50 a pop isn't cheap enough to buy without lengthy consideration IMO.

Personally, being a net freak, i gobble up info faster than i can find it.. video reviews certainly provide ample material to make an informed decision. There is the element of spoiling the toy of course, but in that case there are usually other, less spoilerific impressions of the toys on the web. And the enjoyment of a good toy lasts much longer than the initial impression that may be lost by watching a video review.

the only review i've seen of a rotf toy i dont have is your ha bumblebee review, otherwise i haven't exposed myself to any reviews of toys i dont have. the only other rotf i've seen is vid review on leader prime cos i wanted help w/ tforming the chest (was afraid 2 break it)

After just having your baby (congrats btw!), i would've imagined you'd be even more concerned about spending money on toys you ultimately aren't happy with. Or your wife being concerned, i know mine would be

Non-combining Constructicons toy is going to be the issue of the year isn't?!