Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sentimentality and your collection

Default Sentimentality and your collection

Do you guys have certain toys in your collection that you just can't get rid of? They may be taking up precious space, you don't like them much anymore, and you wouldn't mind selling or even turfing them - but you just can't do it, for sentimental reasons.

Most of my Beast Wars toys fall into one of those categories. I have a fair few I collected when they first came out, and I just can't get rid of them because of the memories I have. In my early twenties my mother started giving small cousins my figures in storage when I wasn't home, so they could play with them. Some limbs on my Energon stuff have gone MIA cos of this.

Speaking of which, do you have any horror stories where a parent or spouse have turfed or given away your childhood toys?

Probably my G1 Shockwave. It was my fave TF as a kid, and it took me years to d buy anfinally replace my childhood favourite. If had to choose one TF and sell the rest, it would be him.

I never had this problem,I only ever buy transformers i would never get rid of..I do have a few sentimental ones i'd never get rid of.
    my first transformer i ever bought with my own money,Beasts wars Optimus Primal .As for parents doing what yours did. I moved out of home when i was 18, which was around the time when Beast Wars came out, so i was able to spent my money on what ever i wanted without being told how to spend it. as for horror stories involving kids getting there grubby little mits on my Transformers, This doesn't happen in my house because if friends bring there kids over and the kids ask "can i play with the Transformers" The same answer is given every single time "NO because you didn't pay for them and i cant afford to replace them"I'm a fairly large guy so they only tend to ask once. Even my 3 year old son knows better than to ask after he broke my animated Bumblebee...my fault for letting him play with it,he has his own bumper bumblebee now so he doesn't to play with my toys....

I've got all the Beast Wars toys. The others I could give away but the 31 that were in the show I couldn't. Its the emotional connection I have with them. Plus X-9 Ravage. Could never sell Ravage.

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

I've always called my TF collection there "debt removal devices". If I get into financial issues, they will be the back bone of getting some money back.

However would have a hard time getting rid of my Thundercracker (first full sized TF I ever got) and Beachcomber (first TF I ever got).

I had a G1 Seaspray that I bought off eBay from Alex Kubalsky (who had the very cool eBay name, orsonsellz ). I even picked it up from him in person in (P?)asco(t|e) vale, not realizing at the time who it was. I foolishly sold it to Digger, but in its divine quest to continue to be owned by me, I reacquired it in a later trade. I have another Seaspray in much better condition, but I would never give up this one again.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

WTF??!!?? I want it back now!

The Movie 07 series was the first ever TFs I picked up. (I liked TFs since I was small when I played with my older brother's toys in the 1980s), but never really starting buying them till after the 07 movie.

And Ironically enough, this series was my least favourite and I always thought that I'm gonna just keep the figures that appear in the movie and sell the rest. But whenever I look at them all displayed nicely, it's like they are calling out to me, "Don't sell me!" and I just can't bear to do it.

I did manage to bring myself to sell off Robot Heroes and Legends though.

But if there's ever a real need to offload some TFs for financial reasons, I guess the Movie series will be the first to go...
    ~ JuzMel ~
    My son is taking over all my TFs!

My old Transmetal Cheetor figure. His tail was lost at a pub's resteraunt when I was very young and he's horribly faded and scratched, but he was the first transformer I ever owned.

Maybe my Transmetal Rattrap as well.

I am lucky I've never had people throw my Transformers out (except my Micromaster Swindler which was accidentally thrown out at primary school ) so I still have the first Transformers I ever purchased or received as presents.

My early stuff is broken and battered and in some cases I've purchased new reissues or encore versions, but the toys and comics I had a kid still hold huge sentimental value to me.

The toys in recent years, where I've bought so many in a short time don't. The bulk buying does makes each toy less special, and secondhand toys also have less appeal to me too. I'm happy to have them all but not the same as having the memory of saving up for something, or hunting/waiting for ages for that one, or remembering when a friend gave you this one.