Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aussie govt's planned mandatory net censorship regime to censor video games

SGB is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Default Aussie govt's planned mandatory net censorship regime to censor video games

Fat chance they're going to go through with it... The ban would most likely include sites like ebay, steam, amazon, cdwow etc

Conroy's values are extremely archaic in this day and age, it's his own personal agenda nowdays with this games censorship crusade. It's his smug, arrogant and dismissive attitude when it comes to addressing people's objections to the censorship that is the biggest insult, and it's always 'for the children'.

If it does go through except a bunch of angry gamers out for his blood.
    Last edited by enforcer888; 25th June 2009 at 07:27 PM.

wont happen

I'd like to highlight two things from that article...
    Australia is the only developed country without an R18+ classification for games, meaning any titles that do not meet the MA15+ standard - such as those with excessive violence or sexual content - are simply banned from sale by the Classification Board, unless they are modified to remove the offending content.
    This means that even Australians who are aged above 15 and want to obtain the adult-level games online will be unable to do so. It will undoubtedly raise the ire of gamers, the average age of which is 30 in Australia, according to research commissioned by the Interactive Entertainment Association of Australia.
    Why the hell doesn't the government just introduce a rating system that's already in place for film literature?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Why the hell doesn't the government just introduce a rating system that's already in place for film literature?
    Blame S.A. AG Michael Atkinson. He's the one holding back an R-rating for video games.

He has a screwed up sense of reality and believes there should be no R-ratings for games in order to "protect adults".

He maintains this line despite most other AGs, to my understanding, having no problems with the idea of R-ratings for games. Even one of Atkinson's own sons thinks he's stupid for holding back R-ratings for games.

This is pretty un-workable. Its likely to just increase piracy from downloads and those who are in the know will find a way around the ISP blocking anyway.

This Conroy guy sounds like a complete dick from what I have seen about his lame ass net censorship and now this. If I could, I would vote his ass out quick smart.

However, if it did go through, it wold add fuel to the fire of Govt censorship debate as it would be seen as a step in the wrong direction.

To show the crapness of the MA rating anyway, the picture at the top of Fallout 3 which was originally refused classification had a revised rating after a change. It ended up being MA, but if my memory serve me correctly, according to the guys at Good Game, all they changed was the name of the drug....
    Last edited by Tetsuwan Convoy; 25th June 2009 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    This Conroy guy sounds like a complete dick from what I have seen about his lame ass net censorship and now this.
    He's an absolute dick. He shouldn't be Communications Minister at all because of his behaviour and his poor understanding of technology. He doesn't even know the difference between a Megabit and a Megabyte, and has even said in public that he is unable to set up a digital TV box!

You should have seen his performances on Q&A and Insight a couple of months back. Very face-palmy stuff.

Rudd made a big mistake keeping Conroy in the Communications portfolio. Conroy should have been booted out of that portfolio in the recent cabinet reshuffle.

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Blame S.A. AG Michael Atkinson. He's the one holding back an R-rating for video games.

He has a screwed up sense of reality and believes there should be no R-ratings for games in order to "protect adults".
    You guys are aiming you anger at the wrong people.
    Remember who's fault it really is? The Mafia!

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    He maintains this line despite most other AGs, to my understanding, having no problems with the idea of R-ratings for games.
    There are supposedly one or 2 who would prefer not to have a R rating, but would vote for an R rating if it was enforced properly. ie. being made illegal to sell R rated games to minors
    Which I'd agree with. Fair enough, but you'd still have to have an R rating
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    You guys are aiming you anger at the wrong people.
    Remember who's fault it really is? The Mafia!
    The Russian mafia, to be precise.