Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *SPOILERS* Freedom is the right of all sentient beings...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default *SPOILERS* Freedom is the right of all sentient beings...

Please tell me if I missed something here, but I cannot come to grips with the beginning of the movie.

Just what exactly was Demolishor and Sideways doing wrong? All of the destruction they cause is because they are escaping the Autobots and the military.

And the way Prime finished the job left me reeling. I'm not being "That's not my G1 Prime *sob* *sob*", but he continually acknowledges through both movies that humans have compassion and are a species worth protecting. Further, in the first movie, he criticises Megatron for doing exactly what he just did to Demolishor.

There is no doubt that the Decepticons are painted in a particularly evil light in the movies, but this is a construction vehicle and a sports car, not military vehicles or robot infiltrators (Soundwave, Ravage, Scorponok, Frenzy). Further, looking at their bios on the toys, Demolishor is a protector of a group of smaller Decepticons, including Sideways, who come across as refugees to me.

Sure, they throw in Demolishor's last words to try and tie him in to some kind of stereotypical (and perhaps racist) holy war concept, but at that point I felt like: "Yeah! The Transformers need a saviour from these brutal Autobots".
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

Exactly what I thought, many others too. I actually felt quite strongly about it too, and arn't most cars autobots.. and Sideways a double agent?

If the Autobots knew they were searching for something why not capture one for interrigation? Especially after hearing the threat. After Sideswipe back-stabbed Sideways he could have easily been subdued...

Poor Sideways

<Goes off to play the game and play as Sideways>

Poor Ravage too (he only wanted to play*). The scene with Ravage left me cold too... reminded me of the footage of bogans torturing kittens a few years ago.

And what's this obsession Prime has with ripping Con's faces apart!?

At the end I just have to remind myself: ALTERNATIVE UNIVERSE! Even if it is our own

* This is a lie.
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Quote Originally Posted by Tiby View Post
    Please tell me if I missed something here, but I cannot come to grips with the beginning of the movie.

Just what exactly was Demolishor and Sideways doing wrong? All of the destruction they cause is because they are escaping the Autobots and the military.

And the way Prime finished the job left me reeling. I'm not being "That's not my G1 Prime *sob* *sob*", but he continually acknowledges through both movies that humans have compassion and are a species worth protecting. Further, in the first movie, he criticises Megatron for doing exactly what he just did to Demolishor.

There is no doubt that the Decepticons are painted in a particularly evil light in the movies, but this is a construction vehicle and a sports car, not military vehicles or robot infiltrators (Soundwave, Ravage, Scorponok, Frenzy). Further, looking at their bios on the toys, Demolishor is a protector of a group of smaller Decepticons, including Sideways, who come across as refugees to me.

Sure, they throw in Demolishor's last words to try and tie him in to some kind of stereotypical (and perhaps racist) holy war concept, but at that point I felt like: "Yeah! The Transformers need a saviour from these brutal Autobots".
    *Deceptic_Optics steps up* YEAAAAAh, decepticons are bloody victims of those bloody autobots they made the decepticons look bad but its actually them... them who went after each one of the decepticons and hunt them down to the ground, its just right for the decepticons to fight back *cos we are not push overs!* and planned a strategy to retaliate from them so you cant really blame megatron and the fallen to have revenge on those autobots its because of the autobots that made the decepticons evil!

my thoughts exactly, i was actually in shock when i first saw that

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, except Decepticon scum" lol

Also didn't Prime send out some message at the end of the first movie - inviting Autobots?

And Jetfire and Wheelie changed sides...
    Which brings us to where we are today...

Prime was particularly sparkthirsty through the movie. Almost genocidal actually. Any violence he engaged in earlier incarnations was undertaken reluctantly, and seldom initiated by him. This time around, it was almost like state-sanctioned ethnic cleansing.

And also - because the US Government has problems with what the Autobots were doing, they were going to leave the planet? We all know Bay is one of the Manifest Destiny, "America, F*** Yeah!" types, but jeez, they couldn't have tried something like "Screw you, we'll base ourselves in Australia then!"?

Maybe the idea that the US of A != Planet Earth genuinely didn't actually occur to him.
    Last edited by SofaMan; 4th July 2009 at 03:57 PM.
    SofaMan - Occasionally Battling Evil with his Mighty Powers of Indolence

I had hoped that somehow the Autobots would recognise what they are doing and pull-back. It had been 2 years of fighting, so maybe they had crossed the line through inertia. When Jetfire discussed changing sides I thought that would lead into the fix, but sadly not.

I'm not saying this had to be a thinking movie, but still, these were pretty obvious emotions on the parts of the characters.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

http://www.shortpacked.com/d/20090626.html

Anyway, don't forget that the fallen/decepticons wanted to blow up our sun and break the "law" surrounding energon creation.

But speaking of which, they didn't seem to think about that one too well as earth would have been vaporised with them on it..... They should have built the machine on like, venus.....
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

Poor Demolishor and Sideways, (My fav 'cons in ROTF) brutally murdered by the corrupt Autobot regime!

They were just hiding peacefully (probably plotting to hug lots of puppies!) until the Autobots rocked up to murder them, and even when the attack started they just tried to flee for their lives! Autobots are cold hearted bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    Poor Demolishor and Sideways, (My fav 'cons in ROTF) brutally murdered by the corrupt Autobot regime!

They were just hiding peacefully (probably plotting to hug lots of puppies!) until the Autobots rocked up to murder them, and even when the attack started they just tried to flee for their lives! Autobots are cold hearted bastards!
    The prequel comic (Alliance) show most of the Decepticons who came to Earth after the first movie, were killing a lot of people and causing a lot of destruction. It's only natural that those offenders needed to be neutralised, and strategically it is better to do it while they are inactive, by way of a surprise attack.

But I think it would have been better if the script had even mentioned that these Decepticons had been recently responsible for deaths and destruction, and they were moving in to neutralise the threat. But no... Bay just wants all characters to go in with all guns blazing, with no concern about character consistency...