Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Paint and airbrushing tips and advice

I?ve got the same thing on my compressor and I?ve never touched the moisture trap. Nor have I seen any collection of moisture. I?d suggest leaving it.

Thought this might be a good place to ask (as well as Facebook)
    My aldi airbrush finally died and I’m wondering whats the best thing to replace it with that isn’t going to cost an arm and a leg?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxius._ View Post
    Thought this might be a good place to ask (as well as Facebook)
    My aldi airbrush finally died and I’m wondering whats the best thing to replace it with that isn’t going to cost an arm and a leg?
    The compressor? I got mine from ebay, just an generic compressor with tank $150 - $200.

Are there any good beginners airbrush kits out there? I’m looking at just a few small jobs and was investigating the Aldi kit but I read a lot of feedback on the interweb that it was mediocre at best.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Following. I feel like buying a decent hobby kit too. If lockdown won't end until October like predicted, I've got 5 weeks off that I'm gonna need something to do at home

It really depends on how serious you are going to be now and in the future. You can get a cheap airbrush, get frustrated by it falling apart or getting bad results and give up on it. I started off with a shitty Aztek before getting a nice Iwata HP-CS, which I've had for more than 10 years and still going strong. There's a bit of wear and tear but I've never had to replace any parts and it still sprays like new.

Looking on HLJ there are nice double action brushes for around $100. Look for a gravity fed, double action brush with a paint cup big enough for you needs.

If I was starting out I'd buy something like this Wave or Neo.

Although with a cheap kit you can learn a lot about your machine through maintenance and not be scared of breaking it.

Hey folks,

Looking to try my hand at a few small repaints/customs.

I'm probably looking at getting some aerosol primers and base coats. What brands/products do you recommend.

What is the benefit of an airbrush compared to aerosols? Is it simply the ability to mix up your own colours?

Tamiya aerosols and paint are my go-to.

Aerosols
    Pros: ready to use, especially good for beginners. No need to worry about which air brush or compressor to buy. No need to figure out how to mix and get the paint/thinner ratio right. Great for larger panels/parts.
    Cons: Probably less economical in the long term. Wasted on smaller parts as you have less control over the spray. Less choice of colours.

Airbrush
    Pros: Once you master it, you?ll never go back to hand brushing. Better control and good for smaller parts. More choice of colours. In the long term more economical.
    Cons: more expensive outlay at the start. Takes a little bit of time to master mixing and spraying.

I use aerosol for my base coat as I can bulk spray the parts on the tree, which leaves the airbrush solely for paints.
    Last edited by Ralph Wiggum; 27th September 2021 at 07:23 PM.

I've been thinking about trying my hand at custom-painting a figure and I've seen reference to the idea of applying what I think is floor polish to the finished work, to protect the paint. Would anyone here say that's advisable and if so, what are some good brands and/or types to go with, here in Australia? Thanks in advance.