Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint and airbrushing tips and advice

Quote Originally Posted by Thurmus View Post
    What is the best method for removing the gum from masking tape without leaving residue that ruins attempts to paint over where it was? I am painting wood.
    Use painters tape, which is designed to avoid leaving behind any residue.

Found an old bottle of Vallejo black primer, it smells like Dettol does this mean it's gone bad?

Sometimes you can rescue old paint by adding thinners and let it sit overnight. I know this works with lacquers not really sure about acrylics.

The pigment and vehicle had separated but shaking it solved that and the primer is like when I first bought it, it just smells like Dettol.

Just wondering, acrylic paint is a safer alternative to enamel paint, if I build a clean box to airbrush in fumes should be minimal right? I don't have access to any exhaust fans at the moment and can't open the windows because of smoke from the bushfires.

No, acrylic is still toxic when airbrushing; its the fine mist and particles getting into your respiratory system which is also a hazard:

I use one of these (actually a single filter which I can?t find on the website) when airbrushing now:

https://www.bunnings.com./protector-...r-kit_p5822368

Combined with one of these gas/vapour filters:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/protecto...ilter_p6327945

Creates a perfect seal on my face and I don?t smell a thing when I?m airbrushing.

In any event, acrylic paints are way easier to clean than enamel, especially when using an airbrush.

I have a face mask but I need something that minimises spray to the rest of the household.

Upgraded air compressor, the instructions suggest cleaning the moisture trap every 3 months but how do I unscrew it? It's bolted on tight, YouTube and Google show how to maintain commercial compressors.

Moisture traps don't usually require cleaning. Just make sure to get rid of any accumulated water though. There should be a valve or screw to release.

All I've got is some sort of spring release at the bottom but it doesn't seem to do much, it looks like I can unscrew the acrylic tube but I'll have to buy some adjustable pliers

IMG_20200420_094136
    by Nathan Soehardi, on Flickr