Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers IDW discussion thread [SPOILER WARNING]

Default Transformers IDW discussion thread [SPOILER WARNING]

Post spoiler based discussion here:

I'll start. What are the pros and cons of the mini-series format? And why the delay?

Pros:
    - new #1
    - the delay helps to stimulate demand for a new #1

Cons
    - Kills pacing for what really is an ongoing. Makes it a frustrating experience.
    - Less TF in the loop
    - Means Spotlights get left further and further behind, again affecting the larger universe
    - People lose patience, might drop the book

The data definitely doesn't seem to suggest this course of action being a great idea either:
    http://tfarchive.com/comics/idw/sales.php

In fact, IDW is doing far worse than Dreamwave ever did. Sure they're managed better but they are in no way reaching fans to the same degree. With Dreamwave, you had the non-hardcore TF fans reading which I myself was at the time. I only came back to collecting 3 years ago. If Dreamwave had been bad, I'll tell you now, I would never have even started collecting again. Not even the movie would've compelled me too.

IDW in my opinion have it screwed up pretty badly.
    Last edited by STL; 13th February 2008 at 01:25 AM.

I think the 2 benefits from doing 6 issue miniseries are as such:
    1: New #1 every year
    2: Easier to put into a trade.

I prefer this IDW stuff to DW's work, the art is not so vibrant, but it has a soul, something the DW stuff severely lacked.

Interest is being lost due to the stop start nature of the series, and all the excess lines (G1 reprints, Evolutions, Movie stuff, Beast Wars), even Spotlights are very hit and miss for casual fans.

However I think IDW know they are mainly catering to a niche market, an d as such are relying on them to hold up the franchise until bigger events (like the All Hail Megatron and Movie Sequel comics) bring more casual readers to the fore.

Having Furman as their mainline writer is a double edged sword, having the one writer writing everything means there is more cohesion in the IDW Furmanverse, on the other hand he is a very popular writer nad must spread his time across multiple frnachises, meaning the 6 month or so gap between the main book titles is almost necessary for him to do his other works.

As long as IDW do not start royally stuffing up their release schedule (like tehy did with the BW stuff) I think they will survive. They may struggle time to time, but they will survive.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

There's too many subplots in these series with no sense of closure. Prime's news in the latest issue (Devastation #5) made me wonder if it was supposed to be set before the Optimus Prime Spotlight but a quick look at that comic showed me it wasn't.

Already in Devastation there's been two subplots linking back to older Spotlights that have had no purpose except to link into the Spotlights:

In the first issue of Devastation, Optimus Prime ordered Sideswipe and Hound's squad from Spotlight: Galvatron to prepare for immediate travel to Earth. Now the Autobots are leaving the planet before they've even arrived?

In the second issue of Devastation, Hot Rod had a call from Dealer from Spotlight: Hot Rod, asking to get him transferred to Earth. He hasn't shown up yet nor do I think he will.

I think they'd be better off to have a monthly series but with two issues every second month: 18 issues a year. Some comics run on this pattern already. This would allow each (shorter) story to have a consistent artist (instead of a six parter with fill ins). This could incorporate the Spotlight stories among the other stories as well. Each trade could still reprint 6 issues and they could put out 3 new trades a year.

A problem the IDW series have is that to the casual TF fan they won't recognise the Transformers they know (from G1 or the Movie, or Animated). At least with Dreamwave G1 comics you pick one up and it looks familar.

The Spotlights work a bit better but say your a comic reader who remembers Blaster from the cartoon, the cool Autobot that turned into a tape player. Flicking through the Blaster Spotlight would you be inclined to buy it? Long time fans would but the casual one wouldn't.

For someone to come in to the story now a lot wont make sense unless they've read the previous 20-odd issues of the ongoing series (Notice the real numbering of the series is hidden down by the bar code) and all the spotlights. It's not accessible to new readers so I don't think sales can rise very far.

TRANSFORMERS: INFILTRATION
    N/A - OCT05 #0 >100,000
    030 - JAN06 #1 45,468
    053 - FEB06 #2 35,828
    074 - MAR06 #3 30,344
    068 - APR06 #4 28,835
    083 - MAY06 #5 27,264
    088 - JUL06 #6 25,303

TRANSFORMERS: ESCALATION
    138 - NOV06 #1 20,625
    139 - DEC06 #2 16,363
    129 - JAN07 #3 15,616
    127 - FEB07 #4 14,737
    131 - MAR07 #5 14,932
    148 - MAY07 #6 14,446

TRANSFORMERS: DEVASTATION
    148 - OCT07 #1 15,704
    161 - OCT07 #2 13,854
    164 - NOV07 #3 13,334

The sales are emphatic. Look at those drops between mini-series. They're jaw dropping. If you are catering to a niche market, it'd mean you'd probably be able to maintain more consistent sales levels. IDW isn't doing the franchise justice from a sales and marketing perspective.

I agree with Paulbot especially on the accessibility issue. You have new mini-series with #1s but none of them start off with a jumping on point. You jump and go WTF? Pretty dodgy storytelling. And then you go, oh so there's some Spotlight this came from. Makes sense but... Damn those bastards trying to get me to buy more.

I also agree with I_amtrunks. Furman as headwriter can be good or bad. But it's the equivalent of putting all your eggs in one basket. I think it's going the wrong way.

I think they need two G1 titles. One with more flash and zip with recognisability; one for Furman's world. I may be a critic of Furman but the primary issue is his pacing and shoddy story-telling at times. The universe he is crafting is unique. And I want more.

Another possible path is having two artists on alternating mini-series. This allows them to have less breaks between mini-series. They could have a one month gap between the mini-series, drawn by different artists. They've got a stable of motivated creators who are also fans.

If anyone knows comicbook sales, there is only one trend. Down.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...m.cgi?id=12917

Looking at the present sales figures, by the start of the next arc, IDW could be selling only 10,000 units. A severe decline. Especially at a time when fandom is experiencing an influx or returning fans and new fans.

"All Hail Decepticons" or whatever it'll be called is due this year. And it's supposed to be big and invigorating. There's very little buzz around it though. Ryall needs to do more. Unlike independants, IDW has the fan communities where they can get exposure. They aren't maximising their penetration in the markets. They can talk straight to the fans. They can create buzz on the internet. It isn't happening. Me, I only care b/c I don't want to have no TF comics. They're the pinacle of my collecting b/c they're the only places I can really rely on a consistent basis to give me stories about the characters I care most about. G1. I just don't want to see it disappear.
    Last edited by STL; 13th February 2008 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    I think they need two G1 titles. One with more flash and zip with recognisability; one for Furman's world. I may be a critic of Furman but the primary issue is his pacing and shoddy story-telling at times. The universe he is crafting is unique. And I want more.

Another possible path is having two artists on alternating mini-series. This allows them to have less breaks between mini-series. They could have a one month gap between the mini-series, drawn by different artists. They've got a stable of motivated creators who are also fans.
    I like both of these ideas, DW may have been largely fanwank and badly written, but there was that element of "fun" to it, somewhat similar to the G1 cartoon, it was more or less a light hearted romp, with the occasional darker element.

Having the dark and complex Furmanverse and another lighter "pick up and read" style series wouldnt hurt at all. An ongoing "Hearts of Steel" style story would be ideal.

And thanks for the actual numbers, I knew that between Infiltration #0 and #1 there was over 50% decline, but I didnt realise that it was down to under 15,000 sales.

Speculation time:

What does everyone think about the two dead humans. If Furman's dialogue is anything to go by, I'm thinking with the severe mental damage, the two of them are very likely to become Headmasters.

Does anyone think that the double solicitation of Spotlights in March might have anything to do with the fact that Furman doesn't have enough room to work with in Devastation? Arcee and Grimlock seem to be the best candidates here to give perspective on the outcomes from the two key encounters.

Could Arcee be the psycho trying to destroy Monstructor? That'd be a very interesting twist. The rest of thee Autobots seem to be in her way according to what's been said about the issue.

And Grimlock might be teaming up with Megatron? If the Autobots are abandoning Earth, he might have no choice. Especially with his fellow Dinobots still in stasis. He's got the type of character that could forge an alliance with Megatron too of all the Autobots.

Another possibility I'm giddy at is what if Megatron and Starscream defeat the Reapers and as a result are viewed as heroes by the Earth population. The bigwigs in Skywatch might know otherwise but to the public they're adoring the big new alien robots. And with that adulation, Megatron gets more Ore-13 and precious Earth energon to lead into the All Hail Megatron event this summer? It's a bit far fetched but that would be an awesome twist. The Autobots then would be seen as villains by Earth. IDW's version of Megatron seems savy enough to do this. Recall his lines in #5 when he sees what Astrotrain, Blitzwing and co. were doing behind his back? I think it'd make Megs all that more sinister and creepy.

And I assume Optimus has instructed Hound's team to no longer to go to Earth. I'm interested whether Sideswipe will defy those orders and go to Earth anyway. Also would love to see his reaction to Sunstreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    Another possibility I'm giddy at is what if Megatron and Starscream defeat the Reapers and as a result are viewed as heroes by the Earth population. The bigwigs in Skywatch might know otherwise but to the public they're adoring the big new alien robots. And with that adulation, Megatron gets more Ore-13 and precious Earth energon to lead into the All Hail Megatron event this summer? It's a bit far fetched but that would be an awesome twist. The Autobots then would be seen as villains by Earth. IDW's version of Megatron seems savy enough to do this. Recall his lines in #5 when he sees what Astrotrain, Blitzwing and co. were doing behind his back? I think it'd make Megs all that more sinister and creepy.

And I assume Optimus has instructed Hound's team to no longer to go to Earth. I'm interested whether Sideswipe will defy those orders and go to Earth anyway. Also would love to see his reaction to Sunstreaker.
    That's almost the same thinking as myself. Except I expect Hot Rod and maybe even Nightbeat to hang back on Earth, Sideswipe, and even Grimlock will probably team up with them.

I am not sure what Arcee will be doing, but I agree, breaking Monstructor out (perhaps as another Jhiaxus experiment) makes sense. I'd love to see Springer and the Wreckers introduced in the next "-tion" book helping Prime out.

I expect Galvatron to team up with the Decepticons, in an effort to overthrow Nemesis Prime.

Thoughts on this? It's supposed to be incontinuity... just feels like a bad move to me.

http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub...ic.php?t=35867

Nice to see Steve Buccellato doing some pencils, I only ever recalled him as a colourist on the Uncanny X-Men book.

Yeah it's very odd for Furman to spoil maybe 6 months(?) worth of comics.

I think its a good move, we all had guessed at least some of the plot points that are mentioned.

Also Hunter never mentions the outcomes of any of his experiences. All we really know is that Hunter/Sunstreaker fight Scorponok, see the Dead Universe, ally with Grimlock and fight a full Decepticon alliance, and survives.

We know no details, outcomes, or consequences. Hell at the end of the "-tion" series it could very well be Sunstreaker vs. the Decepticons!

All it's done is spell out all the future plot points that have had plenty of clues and hints left around beforehand.