Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 515202122232425

Thread: What does your username mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Bato View Post
    Took the username on irc (yeah I know, old) as a joke and it stuck.
    Heh, don't worry. Before this forum existed, many OzFormers communicated on the austnet channel #transformers. That channel was originally owned by some other people who had NO clue what Transformers were and when myself and other OTCAers (and other Transfans) came along to the channel, it freaked them out. After many months of using their channel, we eventually convinced them to surrender ownership of that channel and they politely left.

They were basically just channel name squatting... which happened a lot on IRC. The number of times you'd join a channel under a certain name and the ChanOPs have no clue about the subject, or worse yet, they refuse to talk about that subject and kick/ban you for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxius._ View Post
    Death, destruction and alcohol
    All of these things are illegal for you! (well, the first two are illegal for everyone ) I'm curious to know the significance of the ._ at the end of your handle.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

They were basically just channel name squatting... which happened a lot on IRC. The number of times you'd join a channel under a certain name and the ChanOPs have no clue about the subject, or worse yet, they refuse to talk about that subject and kick/ban you for trying.
    The best (worst) were networks with no chanserv/nickserv were being there at the right time made you an op and good luck getting rid of you then....

All of these things are illegal for you! (well, the first two are illegal for everyone ) I'm curious to know the significance of the ._ at the end of your handle.
    The ._ is due to me using this name on Instagram and Jaxius was taken by some american DJ (who i accidentally tagged once) complete asshole

It's alcohol to clean

Edit: In regards to Transfans, my mum calls us Trannys

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxius._ View Post
    Edit: In regards to Transfans, my mum calls us Trannys
    Fun fact: In the 90s-00s there was an annual online 'awards' based on fan surveys run by a US fan known as Rob Jung (also the original keeper of the CTLP*) known as the 'Trannies.' Paulbot does something similar now just among us OTCAers. But the original Trannies was something that was available to all fans globally. It wasn't even done through an online survey site - it was just done by copying and pasting the questions and submitting your results and comments via e-mail, and Rob would even quote memorable comments (mine got in a few times ). It seems far too laborious to do today, but the online fandom was much smaller in the 90s and it was possible for a lone fan to manually do this.

So yeah, next time your mum says "Trannies," let her know that that's actually the name of a former fan-poll award. Transformer fans are colloquially known as "Transfans," and "Trannies" refers to something completely different within Transfandom. Oh, and something else completely different outside of Transfandom, but who cares about what Mundaners think, right?

Jung called them "Trannies" because as a portmanteau of "Transformers" and "Grammies."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Complete Transformers Listing Page; a very useful online resource long before sites like TFU.info or tfwiki ever existed.

Fun fact: In the 90s-00s there was an annual online 'awards' based on fan surveys run by a US fan known as Rob Jung (also the original keeper of the CTLP*) known as the 'Trannies.' Paulbot does something similar now just among us OTCAers. But the original Trannies was something that was available to all fans globally. It wasn't even done through an online survey site - it was just done by copying and pasting the questions and submitting your results and comments via e-mail, and Rob would even quote memorable comments (mine got in a few times ). It seems far too laborious to do today, but the online fandom was much smaller in the 90s and it was possible for a lone fan to manually do this.

So yeah, next time your mum says "Trannies," let her know that that's actually the name of a former fan-poll award. Transformer fans are colloquially known as "Transfans," and "Trannies" refers to something completely different within Transfandom. Oh, and something else completely different outside of Transfandom, but who cares about what Mundaners think, right?

Jung called them "Trannies" because as a portmanteau of "Transformers" and "Grammies."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    *Complete Transformers Listing Page; a very useful online resource long before sites like TFU.info or tfwiki ever existed.
    Thats a nice piece of trivia! You seem to know everything

Back in the Dial-up days (Or T1 connection at school, handy to be onside with the IT guy) My friend and I used to log onto our friends hotmail accounts (We actually did a really good job of working out the passwords through over the shoulder glancing, the sideways "I'm not looking" look and plain old interest/birthday combo guesses.

We would then send cryptic emails from that account to a group of people in the contacts, then work on the passwords for those.

All of these emails were signed

"The Fox"

Then with the advent of LAN gaming I took up the moniker, then once Xbox Live hit I needed to add the Soviet to secure the name.

Ozgardian as in Asgard as in home of the norse gods. Love norse mythology! Obviously with a hint of aussie flavour being a Canberran (big fan of 'The Wizard of Oz' too).