Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sculpturing Putty

Default Sculpturing Putty

Not sure if this is the right section, but im looking for some putty that i can use to make custom faces, ive tried my local hobby stores but they don't have what i want. I want it to have a concistancy of clay or blue tac that and will harden once i have the shape i want so i can sculpt it into transformer faces and parts.

Any help would be great

This link here shows what i want, but where can i get some here
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/tutori...culpt-bot.html

I picked up some Aves Apoxie Sculpt. Good stuff! Start with something like the 1/4lb pack.

Talk to TF76! He used to do LOTS of sculpting and garage kits and stuff so he knows lots! pm him!

I've used Sculpey and Super Sculpey. Neither are very durable though I find Super Sculpey never really properly hardens and while baked Sculpey is harder, it's also brittle. (T_T) So yeah, I probably wouldn't recommend them, even though they seem quite popular from what I've read in magazines. I guess they're good for making customising toys that you only ever intend to display and never play with... which does NOT work well with me!

My top 3 would be...

Super Sculpey is really good but not the most durable, but it is pretty strong I have some stuff i made about 8 years and it is fine. It takes a bit of practice getting it just right (it should be really hard) but avoid normal Sculpey its bad! Riot Art sell this. Very good for fine detail. (It is more like bluetack)

Miliput is an epoxy with a slow drying time, it is water soluble really strong.
    Model/Hobby shops should still sell that. Good for detail but a bit mushy for my liking and I didnt find it good for reallly thin stuff. (It is more like clay)

Sellys kneed it, sets really fast but as long as you do stuff in stages it is suprising just how useful it is. CUT the (usually dry) end off befor you cut the bit you want to use, it makes the putty a bit smoother. Bunnings should sell this. Not the best for detail i roughed stuff out with it a lot, that said I did do some detail work with it too. (It is more like bluetack)
    Last edited by TF76; 30th July 2009 at 10:19 PM.

I used Sculpty to fix toys with small missing pieces before with reasonable success.

Before I got Timelines 06 Megatron I thought of kitbashing a Cybertron Defense Red Alert into one and tried Sculpting a Megatron head. I must say that it turned out pretty decent and recognisable as Megatron, a retarded looking Megatron but still Megatron

Sculpey and super sculpey is good but there might be better ones that doesnt need to be baked to a tee. Ive used both but it takes close attention to really be able to achieve a proper baking time. Also if you are not careful with these they can burn on some parts 9thinner) and still be half baked in some (from experience) try Pming TF76 as Nettie said, sounds like he's been playing with stuff for quite some time.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime
    Sculpey and super sculpey is good but there might be better ones that doesnt need to be baked to a tee.
    Sculpey needs to be baked whereas Super Sculpey will set in room temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Sculpey needs to be baked whereas Super Sculpey will set in room temperature.
    No wonder it hardened on mine hehehe, should read instructions more
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

I really like the Tamiya quick set stuff. It goes off over night and sticks like buggery to the plastic. I also find that it's a very similar strength to the plastic so sections that are added to existing plastic can be sanded to blend in seamlessly (can be - not saying that I always can). It's what I always use for head resculpting... like this recent Arcee head I did for someone's birthday... It's the first movie arcee head with some serious carving and putty additions.

Sorry about the craptacular photo.

Urge to buy toys... rising... rising! TERMINATED DUE TO LACK OF FUNDS