Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: Should the movie series change directors?

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Geez just change the GODDAMN director. I'm so sick of hearing what the man thinks of TF. Obviously he hates it. I hate the 1st movie (2007) because I decided to listen to Bay's commentary. Here's a news flash he's a wind bag who claims that he invented the protoform in TF. Why are we evening discussing this TF2 was a rotting, pustle ridden limb in dire need of amputation.

I don't care that the character design is busy or that the bots aren't blocky. What I want is a TF movie that is a decent story, shot well, the audience can tell which characters are which, characters who turn up for a reason not just to fill the screen and can be enjoyed without resorting to juvenile jokes that stereotype people.
    My thoughts exactly. For TF3 why not have a director who wants to be involved, instead of one who was convinced to ?

The way I feel about Bay's attitude is that he hates the franchise and in turn us.

He has ridiculed Transformers and made fun of the fans almost any chance he gets so that speaks volumes on his attitude. I personally feel that he 'injects' the bad humor, characters and butchers the scripts on purpose in an attempt to further ridicule the fans because he knows that it doesn't matter if he has a Transformer dancing in a tutu, people will still go to watch by the masses bringing back a massive box office success.

Bay has repeatedly proven to be an egotistic jerk and antagonistic as well as an arrogant preak so I am inclined to believe the above based on his own behaviour and work.

That's going a bit to far. I can't imagine why he'd bother working on the film and making these despised allterations if he hated the franchise. He'd just do a half assed job, or hire some lackey to do it.

I can't really buy this Bay Hates Transformers conspiracy theory.

He is arrogant and egotistical though, of that there's no doubt. Though I'd be more inclined to say the atitude he displays toward the franchise in interviews and commentaries is more likely due wanting to always potray himself as some sort of mega cool director dude, he probaly has nightmares about being called a nerd. Much like all the big Hollywood stars when they get cast for these films (and not just TF's, the other franchise's too) Just seem to laugh off thier role as a bit of fun, or try to redirect the conversation to some other movie they've been working on.

I tend to agree with Lord_Zed.

We all know and acknowledge Bay has made several questionable decisions in regards to the portrayal of the franchise, but there is no doubting his dedication.

I don't see him deliberately sabotaging Transformers and getting fans offside - I mean why would he when this is something that puts food on his table and petrol in his Lamborghini

If I were a director, I would want to make a film that appeals to the average consumer and fans alike to maximise my investment and return. Unfortunately, as with most things, you can't please everyone all of the time.

If the intent was to make a film targeted at the fans, you run the risk of segregating the casual moviegoer as the themes and mythos portrayed might not appeal to everyone.

I just accept the movies for what they are and appreciate the fact that without them, there would not be a renewed interest in the franchise potentially meaning no new product. For this, we should be thankful.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I tend to agree with Lord_Zed.

We all know and acknowledge Bay has made several questionable decisions in regards to the portrayal of the franchise, but there is no doubting his dedication.

I don't see him deliberately sabotaging Transformers and getting fans offside - I mean why would he when this is something that puts food on his table and petrol in his Lamborghini

If I were a director, I would want to make a film that appeals to the average consumer and fans alike to maximise my investment and return. Unfortunately, as with most things, you can't please everyone all of the time.

If the intent was to make a film targeted at the fans, you run the risk of segregating the casual moviegoer as the themes and mythos portrayed might not appeal to everyone.

I just accept the movies for what they are and appreciate the fact that without them, there would not be a renewed interest in the franchise potentially meaning no new product. For this, we should be thankful.
    He is not sabotaging as the movie is still a monumental success from a Box office return point of view and it has massively elevated his status in hollywood - The issue is that he simply doesn't care about the franchise and is willing to put in crap despite knowledge that it degrades the franchise and if fans get annoyed - well too bad you cry babies as I am doing it for the money and if I can annoy you its a bonus - That's how his attutude comes off like.

Replacing Sunstreaker and Sideswipe in the original draft of the script with the retard twins is an example of that.

His head lacky - Nelson is an embodyment of all that and the attitude really comes out through him too when dealing with the fans directly.

No one can deny that Bay has shown contempt in the past towards fans and dislike for the franchise.

I think that there are better ways to appeal to the general audience and fans alike than the 'explosions, sex appeal and no plot' bay method.
    Last edited by kup; 4th December 2009 at 06:29 PM.

SGB is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

Not only should there be a change of directors, the movie franchise should be rebooted and given a fresh start.

Quote Originally Posted by SGB View Post
    Not only should there be a change of directors, the movie franchise should be rebooted and given a fresh start.
    Personally, I just don't care anymore. I don't care about the Movie franchise's films, toys, comics, merchandise, etc. There has been no 'era' since 1984 that I've bought fewer Transformers off the shelf than this one. The only way it could rekindle my interest would be a Beast Wars or Masterforce style reboot: something that is theoretically in the same universe, but is otherwise a reimagining with a new core cast and a new status quo. My ideal film would have a new director, great writers (writing about the robots and not the humans), unhideous robot designs, and about fifty fewer bodily-function jokes per film. It's not going to happen, so I'm sure I'll continue to not care while Bay and Hasbro rake in the money - at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    He is not sabotaging as the movie is still a monumental success from a Box office return point of view and it has massively elevated his status in hollywood - The issue is that he simply doesn't care about the franchise and is willing to put in crap despite knowledge that it degrades the franchise and if fans get annoyed - well too bad you cry babies as I am doing it for the money and if I can annoy you its a bonus - That's how his attutude comes off like.

Replacing Sunstreaker and Sideswipe in the original draft of the script with the retard twins is an example of that.

His head lacky - Nelson is an embodyment of all that and the attitude really comes out through him too when dealing with the fans directly.

No one can deny that Bay has shown contempt in the past towards fans and dislike for the franchise.
    I still don't see this as an attack though, Nor do I think he dislikes the franchise per-se. I think it's more about his ego and about him wanting to create his own Bayverse. I don't think there's anything there to suggest he personaly adds stuff in because he know fans will hate it. I think rather he's just got such a big head that he come up with ideas that are great in his mind, and ofcourse his yes men certainly aren't going to stop him.

Kinda like when George Lucas decided it would be great if Greedo shot first, or someone in Hollywood decided that George Clooney would make a great Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post

I think that there are better ways to appeal to the general audience and fans alike than the 'explosions, sex appeal and no plot' bay method.
    There are, but they tend to be riskier gambles for rich Hollywood execs, and Bay certainly doesn't know what they are.