View Poll Results: Are Skids and Mudflap horrible racist robots!?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! Won't someone think of the children!

23 27.71%
  • NO! You wussy PC tree-huggers!

60 72.29%
Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Skids, Mudflap. Racist?

Default POLL: Skids, Mudflap. Racist?

After reading various forums about ROTF one issue (other than the films quality) seems to be popping up.

Skids and Mudflap being racist caricatures.

A parody of African-american stereotype, "blackface" characters. But is this the case? I think not. IMO, they come across more as try-hards than anything else, two dorks who wish they were cool. Essentially the Autobot equivalent to food-court grommits.

However I can see why people would think otherwise, with their monkey-esc bodies, the jive talking and Skids gold buck-tooth. Hmm maybe they are racist...

Yay or Nay?

I'm saying 'yes', and I've been saying it since the first previews with Skids and Mudflap came out with the use of the line "read? Oh, we don't do much reading".

That along with Skids gold tooth, their mannerisms, language and vocabulary, (especially when they're hiding immediately after the forest battle and again in the fight with Devastator), left me with an immense distaste as the tinge of racial stereotyping was too much. And here I was thinking the way they characterised Jazz in the first film was bad enough.

no they're not

there just 2 robots imitating a certain culture within the Continental united states

Quick lets ban Jazz and blaster next

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Bay gets accused of being racist in every film he's ever made! (even TF1 had claims)

And, for the record, Bay has openly admitted that he created those two characters coz he thought they'd be funny!

He probably does it now just to piss people off!

I don't think he really cares what anybody thinks of him...

I'm saying no. Sure there are elements of their mannerisms which are "black", but I don't see them being treated as inferior. Why? Because Bay's not that deep. They're comic, and the unusual nature of the characters is just a way to anchor that for a fairly shallow film.

I don't see them being ostracised or shown as wholly inadequate - they do their part for the Autobots' cause.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

In the late 21st century Prof. Roller proved that there is no such thing as race, we all have the same internal circuits and lungs.

I hate those 2 characters cause there really bloody annoying.

I wish the ice cream truck mode got more time, and skids is Blue damn it hollywood!

Don't see an issue at all. Some people are way too sensitive. This is a heartless action flick, remember. If it even aspired to be more than that then maybe there could be cause for concern.

As it stands, they're two retards. Would we be having this conversation if two black characters had actually played the role in a similar flick? Just b/c they're robots people are trying to impute way too much into them and who they're supposed to represent.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

i just voted yes because i just want to spite everyone who said no. hahahah
    in actual fact my real vote would be no.

nope... kids at gateway plaza in warrnambool hang there pants low and have there hats crooked talk like that.

I voted yes

Lets face it, the are playing up a stereotype and making fun of it.
    But I don't care. It isn't supposed to be serious. It's a joke.
    I laugh and think little else of it other then "haha. That was funny"
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|