Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers for Blu-ray.

Want a massive screen? Sit closer.

I have both a PS3 and a HD-DVD add-on for the 360. Already bought the HD-DVD version of Transformers, the only other HD-DVD I have after King Kong which came free with the 360 add-on. Will keep my HD-DVD but will also buy the Blu-ray version of Transformers if it gets released.

The 360 add-on wasn't actually bad, with the right software downloaded you can actually use it on any PC via USB. It is cheap now at $130. Too bad it's now a dead format.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It's like VHS's victory over Betamax all over again. I really should get my laser disc player fixed some day.
    Not really. VHS won because it was cheaper to produce, had longer running times, compatibility, etc.

Bluray is actually the worse one with horrible slowness in loading and unnecessary use of java, (it's got advantages, but it's one major advantage is platform independance, yet bluray is hardly a cross multiple platform for movie playback, so a faster language should be used), expensive players (ps3 is practically required if you don't want the next beta release of the bluray spec to turn your player into a brick, and just to plow through the processing required to just play a movie), and has more drm layered on it with region locks.

Bluray won because of ps3 sales being counted as players and people just thinking sony are good.

And it's also ironic that people think that sony owns bluray, they don't. There's a long list of other companies that are on equal footing with them and above them. So just don't purchase sony branded hardware.

And the second ironic is that toshiba worked with ibm and sony to make the cell processor.
    ________
    Yamaha Maxim Xj750
    Last edited by MV75; 11th March 2011 at 08:41 AM.

darockk is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    I have both formats, HD DVD was the better but Blu-ray was marketed a shit load better.

how can HD-DVD be 'better' when it holds only half the capacity that blu ray does. More data, better quality. The only thing that bugs me with blu ray is the region coding, but hopefully someone will crack that soon like they did with DVD.

I know you said you have both formats so can you elaborate as to why HD-DVD was better in your opinion (besides the fact you can watch transformers in HD)

I hope it dose come out on BR.....

As it makes my recent PS3 purchase more justifiable, even though
    i preferred the PS3 more than the others this generation.

Does Sony have exclusive rights to make Blu Ray or will other companies also be manufacturing them? Because I despise Sony DVD players due to the near-impossibility to play other-region discs on them... if their BR Players are going to be as anal with region coding then I'm going to be quite reluctant in getting a BR player... might just go get my LD player fixed instead.

I thought Sony was only one of many companies that made Blu-Ray players? I thought that Toshiba were the only company making HD players, while LG and co were all lining up behind Blu-Ray?

I haven't cared much for this format war so I haven't been paying enough attention.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

blu-ray (& hd-dvd) discs are now rarely region-coded, unlike DVDs

Quote Originally Posted by Saintly View Post
    blu-ray (& hd-dvd) discs are now rarely region-coded, unlike DVDs
    Blue Rays my friend has are all region locked?

HD DVD was the complete format without region coding...

Quote Originally Posted by darockk View Post
    how can HD-DVD be 'better' when it holds only half the capacity that blu ray does. More data, better quality. The only thing that bugs me with blu ray is the region coding, but hopefully someone will crack that soon like they did with DVD.

I know you said you have both formats so can you elaborate as to why HD-DVD was better in your opinion (besides the fact you can watch transformers in HD)
    FUD, read up on HD DVD. Also read up on first released HD DVDs vs Blue Ray.

Was aaaaall about the money, imo. MV75 knows the deal.