Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Transformers for Blu-ray.

Quote Originally Posted by darockk View Post
    how can HD-DVD be 'better' when it holds only half the capacity that blu ray does. More data, better quality. The only thing that bugs me with blu ray is the region coding, but hopefully someone will crack that soon like they did with DVD.

I know you said you have both formats so can you elaborate as to why HD-DVD was better in your opinion (besides the fact you can watch transformers in HD)
    space is irrelevant since a lot of BD come in two disk (pirates...) varieties when the need is not there, just to appear as better value.

two words: finalized specifications

every HD DVD is region free (a huge plus; cheaper and more releases overseas)

every HD DVD will work 100% in every HD DVD player (not the case with blu-ray, thank you profiles...)

every HD DVD has the in film pop-up menu as standard, on BD this is optional

every HD DVD goes straight to the menu or film with out trailers and crap,
    not the case with BD. 3:10 to Yuma which has 14 minutes of trailers which must be fast forwarded to get to the damn movie.

Transformers in HD :P

Quote Originally Posted by springah View Post
    Blue Rays my friend has are all region locked?
    Hard to tell if you're telling me that your friend's blu ray is locked or if you're telling me "blu ray my friend, has are all locked"?

either way, these days the blu-ray DISCs (not player) are rarely region-locked :P

Sony was probably taking revenge for betamax lost and had to make sure blu-ray win

springah just had a Syntax Error bb2142. Ggrrrr!

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by darockk View Post
    how can HD-DVD be 'better' when it holds only half the capacity that blu ray does. More data, better quality. The only thing that bugs me with blu ray is the region coding, but hopefully someone will crack that soon like they did with DVD.

I know you said you have both formats so can you elaborate as to why HD-DVD was better in your opinion (besides the fact you can watch transformers in HD)
    As springah said, it's FUD. If you were to watch them side to side, you would not tell the difference as they are exactly the same.

Sure there's extra space, but mastering to a given bitrate that is, (what I still think is too low), "hi-def" resolutions are at just doesn't use the space.

The only advantage they could make is with the audio being mixed at a higher bit rate, but just like the great CD rip-off on mastering, they master for volume, not quality, because apparently louder is better or some other garbage.

As for being "better", I've already said it above in the other post.

Does Sony have exclusive rights to make Blu Ray or will other companies also be manufacturing them? Because I despise Sony DVD players due to the near-impossibility to play other-region discs on them... if their BR Players are going to be as anal with region coding then I'm going to be quite reluctant in getting a BR player... might just go get my LD player fixed instead.
    I already told you. I'll be your mentor in the field of research for a fee and constant praise. Oh yea, and a nice leather jacket with tweed elbow patches.......

Bluray may have "won the war", but their fight is only beginning, to convince people to buy it.

Anyway, my view is still that of that DVD is still fine for me, I won't be joining the ongoing blu-ray consumer beta project. The only thing I'm interested in is burners so that I can consolidate my DVD archives to even fewer discs. But $80 burners and $40 50 disc spindles are a long ways off still.
    ________
    Mazda M5 Transmission Picture
    Last edited by MV75; 11th March 2011 at 08:42 AM.

my ps3 just became the only next-gen player i will have to buy.......excellent. Many people told me that HD-DVD would win because microsoft supported it.hahahahahahahahhahahahaha
    Last edited by hoardz01; 21st February 2008 at 08:13 PM.

Paramount have finally gone back to blu, no title annoucements yet, but a blockbuster like Transformers means it should be pretty soon

hddvd always seemed better, and imo I go with the reasons stated above and before.
    but bluray always seemed to have the edge, and i think the ps3 was it.

xbox360 all the way however, prefer it to ps3 bigtime. xboxlive is awesome. so are the games.

anyhow... i'm not gonna upgrade for a while. probably til we start ONLY getting blurays..., but maybe by then we'll all be downloading them...
    Twit and insta @lukeabarnett

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    springah just had a Syntax Error bb2142. Ggrrrr!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Classic

Just read something interesting on TFW2005, Apparently the Bluray version of Transformers 2007 is coming out on September 2nd in the US.

Link
    Source:TFW2005

and something about easter eggs going though the British Board of Film Classification.
    Link
    Source: (same source as above)
    Last edited by G1Optimal; 25th May 2008 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to add

darockk is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

ive just bought the Blu ray version of Transformers the movie 1986, should arrive next week.

now i'll get to see the dodgy animations in beyond high definition