Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GI Joe ROC movie Discussion Thread !! SPOILERS!!

Pretty Cool movie. Saw it on Thursday night.

I liked the scifi vehicles and weaponry. It was very cool at the start of the movie how the regular army was outclassed by Cobra. I love that contrast.

Those familar with the Command and Conquer computer game, you can see that they borrowed/share some concepts from GI JOE, and after watching this movie reminds me of this.

The Baroness, Duke thing, its interesting, but seemed to dominate a bit much.

I don't have a clue about the original GI JOE comics or cartoons so I can't compare to this movie.
    Overall I enjoyed this movie and it met my expectations, and was easy to follow.

I haven't seen it yet, but does the black Hummer last long?
    "Ding-a-ling, come out and get yo ice cream. Any bad robot out there better get ready for an ass-whoopin" - Skids and Mudflap

I'm more of a Cobra fan per-se.

Destro's reffereance to me, implied that the world would turn to the American president in the time of crisis, and the president would be Zartan, at least that was how I saw it. I assumed Destro's agenda was rule the world financialy and leave all the boring politics to a puppet ruler (Zartan), but Dr lewis (Cobra Commander) appeared to be the real power behind the throne, and I suspect has an even more sinster plan for Zartan.

The hinted power struggle between the badguys is o so very true to both the comic and the cartoon.

It was interesting actualy, that the bad guys didn't actualy make any demands,with their doomsday weapons. Like in the comics they seemed to be part of a bigger plan to make the world jump in a direction of their choice. At least that's how I read it, but I'm influenced by the Nanomite plot in the Joe Devils Due series. Which the movie seems to have drawn on a bit.

As for Stormshadow, he probably just went into the Sleeping Phoenix like he did in the marvel comic.

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Default G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra

Saw it. Liked it. Required me to 'switch my brain off' in some parts but a much better movie all round than ROTF.
    Bitch fight between Baroness and Scarlett is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    Saw it. Liked it. Required me to 'switch my brain off' in some parts but a much better movie all round than ROTF.
    Bitch fight between Baroness and Scarlett is cool.
    i think there is a movie and a possible spoiler discussion already on this thread
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=5374

saw it last night i liked it, just got to love snake eyes in the paris pursuit. very nice but i think they could get a better character for baroness someone hotter? all in all liked it alot a bit disappointed that shipwreck wasn't there.

Saw this on Friday with the missus, thought it was better movie all round than ROTF. Most things were explained and wrapped up and the elements which weren't fully explored were at least left open to an explanation if a sequel were to be made, unlike ROTF which just totally disregarded unexplained loose ends. Its a movie which doesn't take itself too seriously and at the same acknowledges the fans without pissing in their faces. Movie of the year thus far for me.

PS. What's the name of the character played by Brendan Fraser? I was thinking Sgt. Slaughter but he appears to be uncredited.
    If I want your opinion, I'll give it to you

My sales thread: Linky

It's Sgt. Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Fungal Infection View Post
    S

PS. What's the name of the character played by Brendan Fraser? I was thinking Sgt. Slaughter but he appears to be uncredited.
    Bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong!

oh ye, why was brendan just an extra in this movie?
    besides dennis quaid, he's the famous of them all.

I went to see it this morning and thought it was great. I really enjoyed it.

The heroes were cool. I thought they were all getting those power suits shown in the trailer so I was happy it was just for the newbies and the others got to do their regular thing.

The villains were better. I loved the Baroness (up until it was revealed it was mind control that made her evil. Seemed a cop out). Storm Shadow fell straight into freezing ice water, he's coming back. I thought the doctor was Doctor Mindbender.

The action was much more violent than I expected. When those pulse weapons started firing I thought that was going to be what we'd see, but no: swords sliced through people, bullets went flying, heads blown off!

The action scenes were all easy to follow and very enjoyable. Fast running exo suits aside the Paris chase was an excellent action scene. The finale battle seemed to be influenced by Return of the Jedi's Battle of Endor but fun nonetheless. I liked that seemless cut between the jet and submersible at one stage during the fight.

I look forward to a sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by rateeg View Post
    oh ye, why was brendan just an extra in this movie?
    besides dennis quaid, he's the famous of them all.
    It was just a cameo appearance, which is the point of a cameo: get someone famous to do an uncredited bit part. The film was directed/written by the director/writer of The Mummy so it's likely he's friends with Brendan.