Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: GI Joe ROC movie Discussion Thread !! SPOILERS!!

Quote Originally Posted by bruticus View Post
    I just watched it.
    I reckon its much much better than TF movie 2007 and ROTF...i know its a bold statement but i'm sure im not alone on this?
    You are not alone, and I don't find that to be a bold statement at all

You can always be proud of your GIJoe collection, its not like you like them BECAUSE they're american right? I dont eat KFC because its from Kentucky.

Just wanna mention that I saw the movie last night and man talk about non-stop action! I felt I was at the edge of my seat for almost the entire show - no sluggish moment.. well yeah maybe one or two (coming off from the duke-baroness skit). But that was heavily overshadowed by the lots of fight scenes happening all simultaneously - so many movements but amazingly are still easy to follow - even missus and my oldy mates didn't mind it, unlike in ROTF.. The CGIs are not bad at all, I liked it. I'd be happy to watch it again and even right now I'm already sold for the DVD!

Now, a couple of the many spots I missed if I may ask, what was that again Ripcord shouted out to eject himself from the night raven jet? And was there a Jinx cameo? I only remember her being the red ninja joe which I might've missed in the film.
    Latest Acquisitions: Metroplex
    Incoming: ROTF Buster Optimus Prime; FP Defender, Insecticons
    Needs List: Alternity Cliffjumper; TF Prime Bulkhead, Skyquake, Vehicons; Classics Sky Shadow, Junkheap

Quote Originally Posted by Wheel-J View Post

Now, a couple of the many spots I missed if I may ask, what was that again Ripcord shouted out to eject himself from the night raven jet? And was there a Jinx cameo? I only remember her being the red ninja joe which I might've missed in the film.
    When Duke and Ripcord are introduced to the Pitt, there is a scene where the stealth suits are being shown of and woman with short dark hair who appears to have asian features is seen. She is presumed to be Jinx as this is similar to what Jinx looked like in the comic and cartoon without her mask.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    When Duke and Ripcord are introduced to the Pitt, there is a scene where the stealth suits are being shown of and woman with short dark hair who appears to have asian features is seen. She is presumed to be Jinx as this is similar to what Jinx looked like in the comic and cartoon without her mask.
    Yeah, that reminds me. Ta!
    Latest Acquisitions: Metroplex
    Incoming: ROTF Buster Optimus Prime; FP Defender, Insecticons
    Needs List: Alternity Cliffjumper; TF Prime Bulkhead, Skyquake, Vehicons; Classics Sky Shadow, Junkheap

I watched this movie last night, but I missed the beginning of the movie cos we came late. Started from about midway into the holographic video conference between Destro and G.I. Joe.

Overall it was an enjoyable movie and I must agree with Lord_Zed that it did feel a lot more closer to the original franchise than Transformers. It seems that Paramount tampered a lot less with G.I. Joe to adapt it for a movie-going audience compared to Transformers. Although it could be argued that Transformers is inherently far more fantastic than G.I. Joe and thus required a greater level of adaptation in order to make it palatable for the movie-going public. But yeah, there seemed to be a lot more homages and original source accuracy compared to the TF movie franchise. The conspiracy theorist in me suspects that Aaron Archer respects the G.I. Joe franchise more than Transformers because he himself has publicly admitted that as a child he grew up as a G.I. Joe fan and not Transformers, and that he didn't really know much about TFs until he was employed by Hasbro. (-_-)

The main thing that I didn't like so much was Baroness - particularly how her 'evil' persona was 'artificially induced' by Cobra Commander which included her love (?) for Destro. One thing I always liked about the original G.I. Joe story was the romance between Baroness and Destro. I was also kinda disappointed with Storm Shadow - he seemed too "bad," although not necessarily evil. I liked how the movie portrayed the murder of their Arashikage master as being somewhat ambiguous - i.e. we saw the master being slain and young Storm Shadow running away but we never actually so how he was killed. It's _looks_ like Storm Shadow killed him but it's not explicitly shown. I always liked the old story where Storm Shadow was basically a good guy but initially fought for COBRA because he was deceived, but later defected to G.I. Joe and fought alongside Snake Eyes. At least, that's how I remember it and admittedly I'm not really a G.I. Joe fan so maybe my memory's sketchy.

I also liked the sparring sticks that they had - reminded me of the ones they used in the 1986 G.I. Joe animated movie only electrified.

P.S.: All the gals were HAWT. Was that Cover Girl who got killed by Zartan?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post

P.S.: All the gals were HAWT. Was that Cover Girl who got killed by Zartan?
    Yes according to the talk around the traps, didn't notice at the time because she wasn't appropriately costumed.

I watched this movie last night, but I missed the beginning of the movie cos we came late. Started from about midway into the holographic video conference between Destro and G.I. Joe.
    You didn't miss to much then, just Destro's great great great etc Grandad getting his mask. Admittedly this was another nice homage, but probably just confounded the mainstream audience.

The main thing that I didn't like so much was Baroness - particularly how her 'evil' persona was 'artificially induced' by Cobra Commander which included her love (?) for Destro. One thing I always liked about the original G.I. Joe story was the romance between Baroness and Destro. I was also kinda disappointed with Storm Shadow - he seemed too "bad," although not necessarily evil. I liked how the movie portrayed the murder of their Arashikage master as being somewhat ambiguous - i.e. we saw the master being slain and young Storm Shadow running away but we never actually so how he was killed. It's _looks_ like Storm Shadow killed him but it's not explicitly shown. I always liked the old story where Storm Shadow was basically a good guy but initially fought for COBRA because he was deceived, but later defected to G.I. Joe and fought alongside Snake Eyes. At least, that's how I remember it and admittedly I'm not really a G.I. Joe fan so maybe my memory's sketchy.
    Agreed with the Baroness thing, she has been Brainwashed before, but she always seemed to have genuine feelings for Destro. Mind you Destro didn't evidence any sign of his skewered but nontheless unbending moral code either.

As for Storm Shadow, in the Marvel comic he joined Cobra to discover the Hard masters killer. Although basically a good guy, a certain Jedi master might say he was tainted by the darkside in the form of vengeance and jealousy. he eventually renounced his vendetta and helped GI Joe, (latter still he was captured and brainwashed again though).

I don't really have a problem with Movie Storm Shadow, as there is as you say some ambiguity on whether he killed his master or not, and his relationship with Snake Eyes seemed spot on. When the original Storm Shadow was on a mission of vengeance he seemed to have little compunction’s about harming those in the way of his vengeance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    You didn't miss to much then, just Destro's great great great etc Grandad getting his mask. Admittedly this was another nice homage, but probably just confounded the mainstream audience.
    Wait Gok, which video conference? Did you see the whole ambush and first Joe/Cobra battle?

He probably missed the desert ambush...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    He probably missed the desert ambush...
    Oh right that! Damn forgot.

Speaking of which, I only realised yesterday that the Neo Viper figure and the Desert Ambush Elite Viper are different moulds. I assumed the Vipers in the Desert Ambush were the same outfit wise as the later Neo Vipers (Neo Vipers are just upgraded on the inside). Did anyone notice if they actualy looked different?