Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: All Hail Megatron Coda #13 to #16

Got #15 and #16 delivered today.

#15 was 50% fantastic, and 50% boring, and funnily it split right in the middle of the comic! The Prowl/Kup story was the best we have had in years, and I hope that we get to see this story influence the ongoing and mini series, as it is a big powerplay Prowl has get going.
    But like all the cool and interesting plots and ideas that have been introduced in the IDW run, I bet it gets forgotten or retconned out of existence.

After the great Roche story came a dull boring story that did nothing in 11 pages.

And #16 was the issue that deserved to end AHM, the series goes out with a comic with messy art and a large focus on terribly written, boring fleshbags, just like the majority of the series. I would recommend those 2-3 people who still buy AHM to skip #16, as you do not miss anything.

And so now to wait for the next two mini series. After what Roche did with Kup and Prowl, I cannot wait for his Wreckers mini, and I'll grab the Bumblebee mini, but remain weary.

From what I have seen and heard about the direction for the ongoing (Spike to be a main player) it can go to hell. (but as I am weak, I'll probably get the trades... )
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    . (but as I am weak, I'll probably get the trades... )
    At least the trades look good when they are all sitting together on the bookshelf
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Just finished reading the AHM Coda TPB and I pretty much agree with everyone else. The Prowl/Springer/Kup story was the best by far. I liked the pretender and cy-gar (although I detest the word) explaination. I also didn't mind the Perceptor story. I could relate to it a little bit and it explained why Perceptor became "another clown with a gun". But that whole super stud Spike in hospital with the sexy nurses... Puh-lease. Did Michael Bay write that because that was the vibe I got from it.

Overall not a fantastic TPB saved only by the Kup/Perceptor stories.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

I completely agree with Kuzzy, AHM part 2 was a rollicking good read. It made up for a lot of the slowness in AHM part 1 (and continuity breakage).

Yeah, that's right, I liked it. Bring on the pitchforks and torches haters :P hehe

Anyway, on topic - Coda was mostly an enjoyable read. A few boring stories in there (Spike, I'm talking 'bout you) but a few good ones too.

My biggest dislike is probably the Starscream story. The continuity got screwed in a very uncomfortable place in AHM, and the Coda was meant to be the bandaid to fix that -- but then Starscream's personality goes a complete 180 after the character development (that's right, character development in a Shane McCarthy story) he got at the end of AHM2!

It really shits me that there's another massive continuity error in the series that was meant to be fixing the previous continuity errors. On top of that, he's back to wanting to kill Megs, who is hooked up on life support - an easy target if every there was one, and he gives up because Soundwave says "no".
    FFS that is weak-sauce right there.

However, the retconning was done astoundingly well in a few of the stories such as Nick Roche's Kup/Prowl story and the Perceptor story did the job satisfyingly enough too, though I preferred Perceptor's extensive vocabulary as displayed in Roche's work. I loved the splash page that Perceptor was given, one of my favourite pages in the whole Coda as far as art goes.

The Ironhide/Prime story I think was a good idea, given what was about to happen in the ongoing. Plus I always liked the dynamic between those two characters, which I don't think has been done justice in previous IDW offerings, so I was happy to read that. Yeah, Don's new art style sucks, but what can you do, hopefully it will change eventually.

The Galvatron and Crew story was very cool to see how they worked in some aspects of the characters that the sunbow cartoons + TFTM established back in the day. It's cool to see Galvatron a little insane (but not annoyingly "I punch out my own troops more often than Autobots" crazy like in season 3), and very nice to get Scourge and his Sweeps - even if how they get created is a bit vague.

I'm not going to rave about Nick Roche's work because everyone already knows how awesome it is

Overall, Coda was a pretty good read, it gets a solid B from me.