Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Encore Comments / Reviews

Default Encore Comments / Reviews

We don't seem to have one of these yet. Seems appropriate.

So, last week I got my Encore Cassettes v2, which is Ratbat, Slugfest, Ramhorn and Steeljaw.

Now, I had these when I was 9 or 10 years old, and have also recently acquired a G1 slugfest, but based on that, it seems the new plastics are a bit different. They seem more matte, and have less gloss than the originals, or my memory of them. That's not to say the originals were glossy, per se, but just comparatively so. There are also subtle color differences, although I'm not sure what adjective to use to describe them.

With Steeljaw, I don't remember such a vast difference in the matching of color between thighs and feet and the rest of the body. Was the G1 one like that too?

Today, I also got Bruticus. Encore Bruticus, as many of you have probably heard, uses the more recent RID version of the mold and its weapons, which includes a mechanism on Onslaught's flat bed to shoot another down his ramp and also more slots and pegs so that when in combined mode, you can merge the remaining weapons and Onslaught's chest piece to form two larger guns, leaving no kibble when combined. I had Bruticus, again when I was 9, so these are new to me, and are most welcomed.

The plastic, again, seems to have a more matte and softer feel than my memory would serve, or compared to other vintage G1 combiners I have. The absence of metal is disappointing, but I think its extra weight would mess with combined mode, as I recall it doing when I had the metal versions as a kid.

The mold issues also discussed are present, most noticeable when looking at the merging of the front facia of the alt mode, specifically with Onslaught, Blast Off and Vortex. However, I'm not sure if I would have noticed them as much had they not been discussed. Although that being said, the tip of my Blast Off nosecone is quite a bit off. I have to sort of rotate the wrists a bit sideways to get the rest of the cockpit to line up. I'll try to take pics tomorrow.

Additionally, many pegs are either quite tight or a bit loose in their respective holes and some joints are very tight and some not so tight. Unfortunately, Onslaught's shoulders aren't the tightest. They are tight enough to hold in place while pointed backwards in combined mode, but must be held while turning the arms to avoid the shoulders turning with them, and thus popping off the chest plate.

I think Gutsman said his plate fell off by looking at it. I feared that when I opened mine, and while it's not tight, it's tight enough and clip at the bottom holds it in place well.

There are also some colors of a different hue than the original. I do welcome the new colors, but it makes little to no difference to me.

So, compared to G1, we have some nice new weapon and ramp features, some updated color, but we've lost a bit of quality, sheen and tightness. However, it would be very difficult to acquire a vintage piece that still does have all of those benefits.

He always looked pretty menacing when combined, but the added guns really adds to his bad ass look. I'm really glad I got him.

Thanks for your description. It sounds as decent as any other Encore reissue - The lack of metal is disappointing but not killer.

It's there a pic of what the added guns look like?

I'll try to take pics of all the things I've described once the sun returns, tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    I'll try to take pics of all the things I've described once the sun returns, tomorrow.
    iz called a flash....
    or a lamp.

I haven't picked up my new encores yet, but I'll post some comparative pics when I do. Any other photo comparison requests can be made here. There should already be some other comparative pics between G1s and reissues there - I'm sure I've posted comparison pics between G1 and Encore Soundwave, Sky Lynx and Omega Supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    iz called a flash....
    or a lamp.
    boooo!!! HISSS!!!!

Natural Light > Flash any day my friend!!! XD

Current Wants:
    Shadow Scyther

Quote Originally Posted by lcz128
    Natural Light > Flash any day my friend!!! XD
    I agree, but most of us have commitments during the day (like ya know, work ) and have more spare time after sundown.

I don't recall ever taking a toy pic during daylight

Flash photography is near useless for closeups. As a matter of fact, many cameras will not even allow you use macro mode and flash simultaneously. Regardless, I did take some (albeit crappy) photos.

First noticeable problem was with Blast Off. As you can see, his nosecone and cockpit were quite poorly aligned:

I could rotate the nosecone a bit which brings the cockpit a bit more aligned, but it isn't without its side effects:

Vortex was better, but still subtly imperfect:

The problem with Vortex was the way the legs click into place. You see this peg here:

Depending on whether you want Vortex's robot mode, or Vortex's combined/arm mode you put it into either of these slots:

The problem is that to get it to the hole closer to the torso you're putting quite a bit of strain on the leg/foot piece because it's sliding up the thigh which only allows straight movement.

It was extremely stiff getting it into place, but worse, it was petrifying to try to slide it back out. The pressure required really made me fear I was going to break either the thigh connect or leg piece.

Luckily, for combine mode, I prefer slightly longer arms, so I'll never have to put it in that second slot again. To match Bruticu's other arm, I extend Blast Off's waist.

Next up is Onslaught who suffers from slight erectile dysfunction, specifically he can't keep his gun up:

However, from what I understand, even the originals suffered from that.

However, what's really noticeable is that he, uhh, how do you say, hangs to the left:

It really looks quite silly, especially in robot and combined mode.

Lastly, I tried to grab a pic trying to capture the different type of plastic used in some areas. It almost seemed a bit resin-y. I'm not sure if that's the right term, but those who have the Natobot kit can understand what I mean. It's just really matte, and a bit more rough. I'm referring to the brown piece here.

I'll take some pictures of the combined guns in the next day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    Flash photography is near useless for closeups. As a matter of fact, many cameras will not even allow you use macro mode and flash simultaneously. Regardless, I did take some (albeit crappy) photos.
    Well I think those photos are good and made the review a good read.
    Thumbs up!