View Poll Results: How do you play with your Transformers?

Voters
136. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fantasy play

11 8.09%
  • Fiddle play

97 71.32%
  • Don't play

24 17.65%
  • Other (please specify)

4 2.94%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you play with your Transformer toys?

Quote Originally Posted by jena View Post
    I'm a fiddler as well, I like to pick a figure up and play with poses. I like to find an image and try to copy the pose. For example, I tried my best to get my masterpiece Optimus into this pose.
    Like this?

I certainly don't get them all out and have an epic battle.
    I do! It's epic fun!

Though I wish I could create a display that illustrated parts of Transformers: The Movie. I'd love to have a couple of Gnaws giving Hot Rod and Kup a hard time. Stuff like that. Too bad I don't even have a single Gnaw, or Kup for that matter.

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2800
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2843
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2922
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3092

I love picking up a random transformer that I haven't transformed in a while, switch modes, switch it back then pose it back for display, and regularly change modes on some for display I find it so fun playing with them, I haven't started sealed collecting yet, don't know how I would cope. :P

Megatron Guest

I'm not sure, should I vote Fiddler or Other?

The majority of my collection is MISB, but I do have lots of loose toys as well so that I don't miss out on the fun. I hate actually transforming them because most of the time, I find it too hard! Takes me too long and I always need the instructions so kinda takes the fun out of it. Unless it's a Maccas toy or one of those Legion class ones. I do love making Photo Comics with them, though, and displaying them around the house in various action poses.

In terms of what type of collector I am: 80% Curator, 20% Fiddler. I do have aspects of the Player, but not so much with toys. I would much rather immerse myself in fan art/fiction and RPGing as a way of expressing my creative side/need for escapism, though as I mentioned above I also do this with Photo Comics and the like where the toys can be used.

I used to play (and I spose I was a lot younger) but then a few years ago the hip broke on my Sludge, simply as he had been overused and not designed to last 20 years. So I tend to touch my G1's as little as possible, and have a fiddle with the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I'm not sure, should I vote Fiddler or Other?

In terms of what type of collector I am: 80% Curator, 20% Fiddler. I do have aspects of the Player, but not so much with toys. I would much rather immerse myself in fan art/fiction and RPGing as a way of expressing my creative side/need for escapism, though as I mentioned above I also do this with Photo Comics and the like where the toys can be used.
    From what you're telling me, I'd say vote for "Don't play." As I said in post #32, we're really looking at a spectrum, and as such I'd say most if not all of us have elements of all the different collector types in us.

I'm mostly a player, but I do also fiddle when I don't have time to play, and I do have a few sealed toys in my collection, and I have customised a few toys... but I most strongly identify myself as being a Player. So go with whichever you most strongly identify yourself as being -- what you "most" are. So as you said, if you feel that you're "80% Curator," then go with the "Don't Play" vote. But I don't think I've come across anyone who's 100% only one kind of collector -- I'm sure every sealed collector has at least one loose toy in their collection.

The majority of my collection is MISB, but I do have lots of loose toys as well so that I don't miss out on the fun. I hate actually transforming them because most of the time, I find it too hard! Takes me too long and I always need the instructions so kinda takes the fun out of it. Unless it's a Maccas toy or one of those Legion class ones.
    That's the fun of it! One of the core parts of the play pattern of Transformers is that it's both a toy and a puzzle. It's so much fun exploring how a Transformer changes from one mode to another, especially when it's well engineered and you can see all the clever things they do to make parts shift etc. The carded figures (Commander, Scout, Deluxe) are easy enough to transform. Even most Voyagers these days are getting simpler to transform too (many feel like oversized Deluxes). Leaders and above can get tricky ('cept Combiner Class Devastator who's simpler than some Maccas toys ).

A difficult transformation isn't too bad so long as it's still an intuitive transformation. The kinds of transformations I don't like are those that are either far too simple that it's just no fun at all (e.g. Supreme Cheetor), or those that are too complex in a counter-intuitive sort of way (e.g. BT/ALT Grimlock & Wheeljack).

As one of the TV commercial slogans said, "The challenge is in the change!"

Megatron Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    From what you're telling me, I'd say vote for "Don't play." As I said in post #32, we're really looking at a spectrum, and as such I'd say most if not all of us have elements of all the different collector types in us.

I'm mostly a player, but I do also fiddle when I don't have time to play, and I do have a few sealed toys in my collection, and I have customised a few toys... but I most strongly identify myself as being a Player. So go with whichever you most strongly identify yourself as being -- what you "most" are. So as you said, if you feel that you're "80% Curator," then go with the "Don't Play" vote. But I don't think I've come across anyone who's 100% only one kind of collector -- I'm sure every sealed collector has at least one loose toy in their collection.
    Sounds good. And yes, my collection wouldn't be complete without a few "escapees" in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    That's the fun of it! One of the core parts of the play pattern of Transformers is that it's both a toy and a puzzle. It's so much fun exploring how a Transformer changes from one mode to another, especially when it's well engineered and you can see all the clever things they do to make parts shift etc. The carded figures (Commander, Scout, Deluxe) are easy enough to transform. Even most Voyagers these days are getting simpler to transform too (many feel like oversized Deluxes). Leaders and above can get tricky ('cept Combiner Class Devastator who's simpler than some Maccas toys ).

A difficult transformation isn't too bad so long as it's still an intuitive transformation. The kinds of transformations I don't like are those that are either far too simple that it's just no fun at all (e.g. Supreme Cheetor), or those that are too complex in a counter-intuitive sort of way (e.g. BT/ALT Grimlock & Wheeljack).

As one of the TV commercial slogans said, "The challenge is in the change!"
    True enough... the first time transforming a toy is like sitting down to do a puzzle, but it can take time and a lot of patience, when sometimes I just want instant results! That's when I "hate" transforming them, but hate is probably the wrong word... it's more like, can't be bothered... I'm the type of Fiddler that once I've transformed a toy the first time (or two), I can't be bothered doing it again, and will usually leave them in robot mode.

I tend to transform figures once, pose them and then stick them on a shelf.

True enough... the first time transforming a toy is like sitting down to do a puzzle, but it can take time and a lot of patience, when sometimes I just want instant results! That's when I "hate" transforming them, but hate is probably the wrong word... it's more like, can't be bothered... I'm the type of Fiddler that once I've transformed a toy the first time (or two), I can't be bothered doing it again, and will usually leave them in robot mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by nofacej View Post
    That is what I'm like now. I suppose in part it's because we are adults (for the most part) and we have too many other demands on our time, and we probably also don't set up as many battles like we used to when young.

Quote Originally Posted by nofacej View Post
    ^This!

I fiddle with them a bit, but sometimes I like flying my seekers around with a WHOOOSH!!!!