Quote Originally Posted by jena View Post
30 minutes!? I spent an hour with my nose in a hiragana chart today and I literally only remember a and n.
Well with those two Hiragana alone you can now read/write in Hiragana the Japanese word for red bean paste! Congrats!

Flashcards work a lot better than staring at a chart.
What I did was to go through each card in order from beginning to end, then end to beginning; each time I'd look at the hiragana character and challenge myself to remember it without looking at the back for the answer. I'd say what it was out loud to myself, then turned the card around to check my answer. Then I turned the cards around and looked at the Romaji and traced the Hiragana in the air, then turned the card to check my answer. Then I shuffled the cards and did it all over again in random order, then reshuffled and did it again and again and again.

The problem with just looking at the chart is that all the Hiragana is in order and of course you have the Romaji for each character sitting right next to them (or if not you can guess what they are because of the order). The beauty of flashcards is that they hide the answers from you, and you can randomise it.