Thread: 日本語会話: The Japanese Conversation Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It's called post Transformers The Movie where the Dinobots were portrayed as raging 'tard monkey comic relief caricatures. *sigh* It was just as bad in the English language version too. *sighs.again* ...this is why I prefer the Dinobots from Seasons 1-2 and the Marvel Comics.

*snip*
    Exactly, as Grimlock's my fave character, (along with Soundwave) it really puts me off when he's not as lovable. Grim's new brain was alright, kind of went into Grimlock's troubles. It wasn't great, but IMHO, it was his best season 3 episode. The earlier comics featuring Grimlock were really good, IMO. I kinda didn't like what they were portrayed as in the movies, but the 'Me Grimlock kick butt' was... alright. Anyway, back to Japanese. He was really badass in seasons 1-2 though.

I was in Parramatta on Friday to pick up my Transformers comics, and drove past the streets where they were shooting for the upcoming Wolverine movie. One of the Japanese signs on a building was a billboard for some (presumably fictitious) digital printing company, and it was called 文雄 (Fumio) which is a Japanese male given name, but 文 ("Fumi" or "bun") means "literature" or "text" and 雄 ("o" or "yuu") is used in the word 英雄 ("eiyuu") which means "HERO"... literary hero! I see watchoo did thar, Wolverine!

ROFLMAO!!!

There's an English version here, but it's not as extensive as the Japanese version -- and at least one of the jokes in the JP version isn't translatable in English. Aww man... best laugh in ages. *wipes.tear.from.eye*

How to say "I don't speak Japanese, do you speak English?"

NIHONGO GA WAKARIMASEN. EIGO GA WAKARIMAS KA?
    日本語が分かりません。英語が分かりますか。
    (say "nee-hon-go gah wah-kah-ree-mah-sen. Ay-go gah wah-ree-mas-kah?")

From the Martial Arts Discussion thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    There is a Chinese saying regarding hiding one's true skills... "The real man never gives himself away". I am sure the Japanese have a similar saying.
    実るほど頭のさがる稲穂かな ("Minoru hodo kobe no sagaru inahokana"= "The mature rice plant lowers its head."; i.e. at full ripeness/maturity, the top of the rice plant becomes so heavy that it pulls the top of the plant toward the ground like a person bowing - the idea being that the more wisdom one acquires, one's head is filled with humility, i.e. with maturity comes humility and respect for others.

Some translate it as "the boughs that bear the most hangs lowest."

Got 25/25 on my speaking test, 25/25 on writing and 21/22 on reading for Accelerated Year 8.(we do year 9 stuff)
    Not bad IMHO. I'm yet to see my wrong answer.

Today was the 2nd anniversary of the 2011 Earthquake/Tsunami. 頑張れ日本!