Quote Originally Posted by Bato View Post
(French people are rofling pretty hard at the last one too)
Meerrr--credi!
Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
Thanks Gok. Maybe I should avoid taking a trip to Japan ever, I hate being called Mr Kearney and Kearney-san sounds even more formal to me.
Or you could just learn to say 「デルタと呼んでください」("Please call me Delta.")
But yeah, by default they will address you buy surname unless you say otherwise, but that's the same with being in any foreign culture; people will go with the cultural default unless you say otherwise.

And at least Japan is reasonably consistent in that regard. In Australia we have some people who insist on being called by their surname while others prefer to be called by their given name, which is why people in customer care will often say, "Do you mind if I call you <given.name>?" before proceeding with the service. I've often heard Japanese people talk about how they find this lack of consistency confusing as they don't want to offend or upset anyone. I often just tell them to directly ask any new person that they meet as to how they prefer to be addressed, but Japanese people are generally uncomfortable with being so direct and forward (as it's considered rude), so it's not easy for them. Japanese people will always default to being too polite rather than not polite enough, as you're less likely to offend someone by being too polite.

e.g. If I walked into a doctor's office, and let's say his name is John Smith. If I addressed him as "Dr. Smith," he might say, "Please, just call me John," and then I'd just call him "John" from then on. But if I call him "John" straight off the cuff and he then goes, "That's Dr. Smith," then I've just offended him and there are awkward feelings all round.

This scene from Star Wars A New Hope demonstrates this kind of social faux pas:
"Well, if there's a bright centre to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."
"I see, sir."
"Uh, you can call me Luke."
"I see, sir Luke."

(laughing) "Just Luke."