I'm sure I've linked to this video before, but it's a social experiment to see how many "Western looking" (i.e. non East Asian) people in Tokyo speak Japanese.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8-YLAKW7DU

The problem with this experiment was that it was done in Shibuya, which is a popular tourist attraction, and I don't know how many of those people were just tourists or actual residents in Japan. Because naturally you wouldn't expect a tourist to speak the local language as they're just passing through. But a person living in Japan should absolutely be able to speak Japanese (to varying degrees of fluency, depending on how long they've been living there). I'm seriously thinking about doing this experiment myself when I'm in Japan, although we're also hitting a lot of tourist places. But I want to explicitly ask people if they're tourists or residents and just disregard all the tourists from my experiment; i.e. I only want to observe residents. Might get some of my senior students involved... hrmm... something we might discuss on the plane trip.