Thread: 日本語会話: The Japanese Conversation Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    There's going to be a proposed law that requires foreigners living in Japan to learn Japanese. I think this makes total sense. Living in Japan without speaking Japanese makes about as much sense as living in Australia without speaking English. It's just common sense (and general respect to the country that you're living in). It's sad that it should have to be a law, but I've encountered my fair share of people who never bothered to really learn the language of the country that they're living in.

And it's really of benefit to that immigrant. If you're living in Japan and you don't speak Japanese, then it mostly sucks for you. Although it can suck for others around you, like when government services need to spend public funds hiring interpreters (e.g. court interpreters; I've been told by someone who used to work in a court that trials take way longer when interpreters are required because everything has to be presented in multiple languages).
    https://resources.realestate.co.jp/n...or-foreigners/
    I totally agree. However there are children of foreign workers who are not getting sufficient social and learning support. I read that there are around 40k in this cohort and around 10k do not even attend school.

For adults planning to go there, yeah it is quite useful to learn though there are expats who cocoon themselves up.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptormesh View Post
    I totally agree. However there are children of foreign workers who are not getting sufficient social and learning support.

For adults planning to go there, yeah it is quite useful to learn though there are expats who cocoon themselves up.
    Neither of these problems are exclusive to Japan though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Neither of these problems are exclusive to Japan though.
    Of course, never said otherwise. Still always good to adopt the language of your new habitat.

lol, I see what you did there with your new avatar, Raptormesh. #お尻探偵

I got given a 1000 yen note the other day. Is that the emperor that's on the note?

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    lol, I see what you did there with your new avatar, Raptormesh. #お尻探偵
    Haha it is one of my fav thing to read - the entire set is awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TheOkz8oF_I
    A look at Katsushika Ward in Tokyo, which is also where TakaraTOMY is located (not shown in this video though, unfortunately). But yeah, for a glimpse into TakaraTOMY's neighbourhood...

Just moved to inner Tokyo about a month ago! Still mentally exhausted from the shift, it's probably one of the more stressful things I've done especially in a pandemic.

Dealing with the town hall for all the documents basically levelled my nihongo 200%, at least spoken wise.