Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying a home

dont think ill ever be bale to buy my own home unless i win lotto

Well, we put an offer on some land and it's been accepted!
    We're still slowly crossing off points on a massive checklist until this nightmare is over, but now that we have land i feel more comfortable than i thought I would! My plastic bubbles will live long and prosper!

Remember that it belongs to the bank until you pay it off.

Thanks for the words of encouragement

Have u managed to have a property valuer, surveyor and solicitor check it over?

The valuer will let u know if u are paying 2 much
    Surveyor will tell u if the block is the right size/shape etc for what u r paying
    Solicitor will let u know if there are any hidden costs, extra payments etc in the contract.

Also, r u buying in a brand new estate? There might b restrictions on the type and size of house u can actually have built on it.

No, no and no. There's seriously no time to do it even if you wanted to - the agents only hold the land for a couple of days cause they've got a constant stream of people interested. We just lucked out since someone's finance fell over, so we picked up a good block that was otherwise gone for good.

We're looking in area that is sadly land depleted at the moment. Based on our own research around that area, the price of land, i think... well, we were willing to pay it, so i guess it must be a fair price in our mind. Compared to some other lots, that didn't come with front landscaping or fences, you could say it was more than fair.

If there are hidden costs in the contract, they are hidden very well, i re-read it plenty of times! We have a mortgage broker who has kept us well informed of what we'll need to pay above and beyond the initial land price.

It is not a brand new estate, although not many houses are up yet. We know the restrictions on the land and are pretty certain the house we're looking at will have no problems.

No worries, at least u got what u sort of expected.

Yeah, Im a bit iffy whenever it comes to buying something brand new, sometimes in new places some services might not be available yet. Hopefully shouldnt be any probs with a block of land. Hopefully there are no hidden easments/pipelines/contaminated land/flood/bushfire affectation issues!

Jus a little advice from a former property valuer

Good luck anyway mate

Cheers! Yeah we saw the plan that locates the easements, there's nothing for us to worry about. My wife actually called the water corporation on that topic too

Congratulations man! Hope the rest will be smooth for you guys.