View Poll Results: are they worth the money?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES - they are worth $10 a car

3 8.11%
  • NO - its a joke / wait for sale

16 43.24%
  • G1!!! wish they made these in G!1!1!!!

2 5.41%
  • shouldnt of bothered making them, they dont transform

16 43.24%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RPMs

I think they look pretty funky...but they are way overpriced...

I don't see the point. They are just basically over priced hotwheels with pictures on the bottom.
    I like Transformers toys because they transform and have full representations of the characters, not just their alt modes.
    If I wanted die cast cars I would go and find the box of old ones I have laying around somewhere, there's no difference to me really.
    Maybe if they were alot cheaper then I might not think they were as bad, but either way they arn't my cup of tea.

afaik RPMs aren't die-cast, just plastic. Which makes them _less_ than Hot Wheels but at twice the price. :/

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHyren
    I like Transformers toys because they transform
    Hehe, yeah. They're like alt-moded Action Masters (only _without_ a transformable weapon/vehicle!). They're even dearer than Legends!

So many times I see kids/parents looking at the RPMs and they're about to buy them, but when I tell them that they can't transform they're rudely shocked and quickly put the toy back on the peg. If there are Legends in stock they'll start looking at them. (at that stage I assure them that the Legends _can_ transform)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    afaik RPMs aren't die-cast, just plastic. Which makes them _less_ than Hot Wheels but at twice the price. :/
    True that the ones out now aren't die-cast, but there are new ones coming out that will be. Scroll down for Soundwave and you can see on the packet on the right it says die-cast. Plus he is part of the "Metal Heroes Series" and would be dumb if he was plastic

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1
    Plus he is part of the "Metal Heroes Series" and would be dumb if he was plastic
    Not any dumber than making a toy that doesn't transform and calling it a "Transformer"!

Transformers is a brand name, not a description of the product.
    It's like buying a GIJoe toy and getting a Cobra figure inside - you still call it a GIJoe toy. The Brand-name printed on the packaging is for the toyline, not the item inside.

Even from the beginning with Transformers, we had non-convertable toys (Decoys were play-things - ie. toys).
    Transformers (with a capital T) is a name, not a description.
    So it isn't 'dumb' to stylise a toy (something that is intended to be played with) to represent a Transformers Character, and package it as a Transformers toy. No more dumber than packaging a Cobra Commander in GIJoe packaging.

fwiw I've never been very fond of G.I. Joe being named after only one of its factions (I now know why it's so, but as a kid I thought it was kinda lame). Action Man and Action Force sounded better to me (yeah I know Action Man sounds sexist, but I wasn't thinking about this during the mid 1980s)

Quote Originally Posted by griffin
    So it isn't 'dumb' to stylise a toy (something that is intended to be played with) to represent a Transformers Character, and package it as a Transformers toy. No more dumber than packaging a Cobra Commander in GIJoe packaging.
    I wasn't saying it was dumb*... I said that it was no dumber (or no cleverer) than making a toy from plastic and selling it under "Metal Heroes Series." Or a competition between only two countries and calling it the World Series. Or indeed not much better than selling COBRA toys under a series called "G.I. Joe."

*although I do think it is dumb, but that's JMO.

I think they're over priced. However, I still like them enough to assemble a movie Autobots car team. Wish they're diecast though. And yes, wish there'll also be G1 versions of these.

I would totally hit these if they were sculpted after G1 cars and made of die cast. Then I could re-enact the Europa 2000. Well apart from the parts where anyone transforms. >_>

If these were at a much better price point - closer to the premium Hot Wheels/Matchbox range then they would be perfect.

They do not have to transform to be part of the Transformers range, they would be a subline that I would have liked as a kid if they were around.