Page 352 of 467 FirstFirst ... 332342347348349350351352353354355356357362372 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,520 of 4670

Thread: The Computer/Console Gaming Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    No need for a HDR monitor when HDR TVs are going down in price. The flexibility of the pc is that you can nearly use any display. People make the assumption that PC game is about a desk with mouse and keyboard. That is an inprecise assumption.
    They really should focus on killing motion blur, it's insane that my new 4k set has obvious blur but my 1080p monitor doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    They really should focus on killing motion blur, it's insane that my new 4k set has obvious blur but my 1080p monitor doesn't
    Motion Blurr is also passed as a 'feature'. At least PC gaming lets you get rid of it in most FPS games.

No need for a HDR monitor when HDR TVs are going down in price. The flexibility of the pc is that you can nearly use any display. People make the assumption that PC game is about a desk with mouse and keyboard. That is an inprecise assumption.
    This is true of course, but i find reality makes this more trouble than it's worth. I have my PC right near a TV and occasionally switch from my monitor to the TV, but it's a pain unplugging and re-plugging (yes, even just a hdmi cable - i'm lazy like that :P)

So you either dedicate the PC to gaming by locating it somewhere you can't really do work, which means you need another PC for work. Or you get a TV and only use it for your PC, putting it on your desk - which is obviously more expensive than a monitor and probably takes up too much desk space.

Personally i get annoyed at having to switch back to mouse and keyboard as needed too, which you can avoid in some cases but invariably have to do it. Maybe wireless gear would be better here but i rock cables cause i'm old school. ie, I don't like batteries dying and the extra weight on the mouse, occasional missed inputs (last time i tried wireless anyway lol, it's probably not like that now!)

I'm kinda in the same situation as you Kup, I don't use my ps3 much for games these days and really uncharted 4 is probably the only game i really want to play but can't on pc.

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Cool I hope the PS4 repair works out for you. With HDR on PC though, isn't it a case of requiring a new monitor as most don't support it yet? And also most games will require patches to support it as well won't they?

I haven't seen HDR in person so I should reserve judgement but I don't think it's a feature i'd care much about anyway (rocking phat PS4 here :P)
    i'm pretty sure there was a free bonus level released for half life 2 in the early 2000's to showcase HDR

This is true of course, but i find reality makes this more trouble than it's worth. I have my PC right near a TV and occasionally switch from my monitor to the TV, but it's a pain unplugging and re-plugging (yes, even just a hdmi cable - i'm lazy like that :P)

So you either dedicate the PC to gaming by locating it somewhere you can't really do work, which means you need another PC for work. Or you get a TV and only use it for your PC, putting it on your desk - which is obviously more expensive than a monitor and probably takes up too much desk space.

Personally i get annoyed at having to switch back to mouse and keyboard as needed too, which you can avoid in some cases but invariably have to do it. Maybe wireless gear would be better here but i rock cables cause i'm old school. ie, I don't like batteries dying and the extra weight on the mouse, occasional missed inputs (last time i tried wireless anyway lol, it's probably not like that now!)
    That is odd. What sort of PC do you have? Most support multiple displays connected at once. Also I use wireless mouse and keyboard and only change battery like once a year. I am typing this from my TV BTW using an all in one Mouse and Keyboard.

Also there is the Steamlink available for like $35 which doesn't need you to have the PC at all near the TV and compatible with any controller from any consoles nearly.

Quote Originally Posted by philby View Post
    I'm kinda in the same situation as you Kup, I don't use my ps3 much for games these days and really uncharted 4 is probably the only game i really want to play but can't on pc.

i'm pretty sure there was a free bonus level released for half life 2 in the early 2000's to showcase HDR
    Lol That's right! They even re-released the original with HDR features and that was over a decade ago! My god, console gamers are so far behind

That is odd. What sort of PC do you have? Most support multiple displays connected at once. Also I use wireless mouse and keyboard and only change battery like once a year. I am typing this from my TV BTW using an all in one Mouse and Keyboard.

Also there is the Steamlink available for like $35 which doesn't need you to have the PC at all near the TV and compatible with any controller from any consoles nearly.
    I'm on a Mac, so i'm mostly talking about using it to play Retroarch... as you know Steam is worthless on Apple. I use my Dual Shock 4 which works fine though. Not sure about the multiple displays tbh! It has one HDMI port and one of the proprietary Apple ports... i have some adapter for that but wife uses it to put her ipad on tv. My monitor actually has HDMI out though, so i can mirror the display to the TV, which is good for... not much, unless i wanted to set up a back-to-back style arcade cabinet! One day

I'm on a Mac, so i'm mostly talking about using it to play Retroarch... as you know Steam is worthless on Apple. I use my Dual Shock 4 which works fine though. Not sure about the multiple displays tbh! It has one HDMI port and one of the proprietary Apple ports... i have some adapter for that but wife uses it to put her ipad on tv. My monitor actually has HDMI out though, so i can mirror the display to the TV, which is good for... not much, unless i wanted to set up a back-to-back style arcade cabinet! One day
    You are using Apple, that's the problem

Anyhow, got the PS4 today. Since I am at work, I was only able to visually inspect the console and superficially, it doesn't really look too well. Although there is no visible structural damage (nothing broken), the glossy surface is scratched a fair bit with some weird sticky residue on in areas. The scratches however look to be superficial so perhaps some plastic polish will probably do the trick and the residue can be cleaned up. I am still waiting in anticipation to go home and actually turn it on to see what is going on.

In regards to the controller, it looks to be in good condition but looks like its had a lot of use. The underside sticker with the barcode is almost all worn and the thumbsticks although still intact look fairly worn. The good news is that despite the seller saying that the control is unresponsive, it seems to work fine. I plugged it into my laptop through a phone charger cable and windows fully detected it. I tested the buttons and sticks and everything works fine. Bluetooth connectivity also works well as Windows can see it along with the audio port. Appears to hold its charge too so battery also good.

The controller working just fine further leads me to believe that the seller had a rudimentary understanding on technology and didn't care to invest time in checking if the system actually works. Gives me hope for the actual console when I get home. The aesthetic issues would be easy to do, I have restored far worse consoles in the past:

Tetris cart looks like it could do with a little work still

Speaking of console repairs, anyone know a place in Queensland (cause I don't want to spend a fortune on shipping) that can fix an original PS3, the one with PS2 back compat?