Page 370 of 467 FirstFirst ... 350360365366367368369370371372373374375380390 ... LastLast
Results 3,691 to 3,700 of 4670

Thread: The Computer/Console Gaming Thread

Went to a friends house today. He had the new Friday The 13th game on PS4. I watched him play for a bit. It's a bit basic in gameplay and graphics for PS4 and at the moment it's only multiplayer with a single player patch coming soon. But it kills it in atmosphere. I watched him play as both a Counselor and Jason. It was thrilling watching him hunt as Jason and I was actually tense watching him hide and try to escape when he was one of the teenagers. Fairly entertaining.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Been playing Rime the last few evenings, finished it last night.

Gameplay wise it's a nice change of pace to say Prey or Skyrim, which I've been playing lately. Nice cel-shaded style game, reminiscent of Zelda's Wind Waker game, but that's where the comparison ends really. There's no combat whatsoever, and where there are threats, it's quite clear how to avoid/deal with them.

Puzzles are relatively intuitive, if at times a little simple, but not tedious - there's no pointless repetition.

There are four stages/chapters and an epilogue of sorts that are quite clearly delineated in terms of theme, and quite clearly so once you've finished the game and find out the names for the chapters.

As there's no dialogue whatsoever, apart from a little tension in the second chapter, until that final chapter everything's pretty chill and cheerful, it's only the glimpses of the story through murals and hidden "keyholes" throughout the game. The end of the final chapter however, and the epilogue were to me a kick in the guts. It was quite impressive how much the devs could portray without a single word.

On the technical side there's a few complaints, not the best optimised game I've played lately (had to turn down a few settings, whilePrey was a lot smoother on my rig with all settings maxed out, and seemingly more a technically demanding game) but for an indie game I guess that's not unexpected. Only had major slowdowns once partway through the first chapter as a distant building was being rendered and the occasional stutter that I'm used to seeing in most games I play - a 9 year old Mac Pro with a GTX 960 somehow keeps up pretty well at 2560x1080 in my opinion. Performance might be different on consoles.

Recommendations for this game are tough - for the most part it's a pretty enjoyable game, especially as an intro to gaming for a kid, but that ending might be a little much for some. Replay value is limited to finding all the collectables in the game/scoring achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartrim View Post
    at the moment it's only multiplayer with a single player patch coming soon.
    I don' like this trend. I can see a point where a game is made, doesn't sell many copies and although they may have decided to intially had a story mode, they don't bother due to low sales. For all intents and purposes they are selling an unfinished product aren't they?

Plonking along though Horizon Zero Dawna nd still not quite feeling the love for it. Combat is still good and enjoyable, but still not gelling with the characters. Interesting....

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I don' like this trend. I can see a point where a game is made, doesn't sell many copies and although they may have decided to intially had a story mode, they don't bother due to low sales. For all intents and purposes they are selling an unfinished product aren't they?
    Remember when consoles weren't hooked up to the internet and what you got was a complete game? Now as soon as you put the game disc in it makes you download a xGB file just to be able to play.

And the no single player thing? That's was why I hated Battlefront so much because the single player part was so lacking it bored me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Remember when consoles weren't hooked up to the internet and what you got was a complete game? Now as soon as you put the game disc in it makes you download a xGB file just to be able to play.
    Same with PC games now, you buy the physical copy only to have a single disc, with the rest downloaded - Doom had something like ~45Gb to download, Prey wasn't much better.

Also hating the enforced release times - game can physically be sold from 9am, yet can't install it until 4am the next morning due to Americans not wanting to feel left out...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    And the no single player thing? That's was why I hated Battlefront so much because the single player part was so lacking it bored me.
    That and any time I tried to play online there were zero games to join online.

Thankfully Battlefront 2 mk II comes with a SP campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    Same with PC games now, you buy the physical copy only to have a single disc, with the rest downloaded - Doom had something like ~45Gb to download, Prey wasn't much better.

Also hating the enforced release times - game can physically be sold from 9am, yet can't install it until 4am the next morning due to Americans not wanting to feel left out...
    I bought Doom for PC, had to log it with Steam and download that massive file. Computer wasn't good enough to play the game so wasted money on that. So I bought it for PS4 so I can play it. You can imagine my language after I put the disc in to have to download a big file to play on PS4 too..

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    That and any time I tried to play online there were zero games to join online.

Thankfully Battlefront 2 mk II comes with a SP campaign.
    I always had games to join. I had more fun playing games with friends, not complete strangers. I was pretty good playing it online, but I just didn't have fun. If the next one has a single player campaign, I may buy it

Battlefront (2015) had the misfortune of being released at the same time as Fallout 4. I admit neglecting Battlefront in favour of hammering away at FO4, and the PC server numbers were dismal, roughly 1500 players in the entire world. I jumped back into the tail end of Battlefront in the second half of 2016, and was lucky enough to get enough hours to consider I got my money's worth.

Battlefront 2 is showing signs of hope: there will not be any player-fracturing DLC/season pass. Inclusion of a SP campaign. I'm still hoping for a server browser. But lesson learned from the last game and I will not be pre-ordering.

I really should delete Motorsport Manager from my PC. It's the same kinda time sink as Civilization. In this case it's not one more turn, it's one more race.

Tested out Steam's In home streaming feature last night by playing a couple of games on my MacBook Air

Solid 58-60fps in Terraria and 40-55fps in Rime, only maybe 3 slowdowns due to network speeds in the half hour I messed around.

Desktop is wired into the network while the laptop is connected via 802.11N speeds.

Real test will be taking the laptop into another room as it was only about a metre from the router during tests

Bought me one of them PS4s, $265 was too cheap to pass up. Probably should get some games at some point.