Page 453 of 467 FirstFirst ... 433443448449450451452453454455456457458463 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,530 of 4670

Thread: The Computer/Console Gaming Thread

The Steam Sale season is upon us and I've stumbled across another gem

ISLANDERS ($3.40) is an addictive quite accessible puzzle game that has you build cities on increasingly large procedurally generated islands.

You start with 3 buildings to place. To get more buildings you've got to meet a points quota. You get points for placing buildings. You get bonus points for placing buildings near certain other buildings. Fields should go near mills. Markets should go near houses. Sawmills go near lumberyards. Conversely, you lose points for placing stuff near the wrong kind of buildings. Mansions shouldn't go near your lumberyards/brickworks. If you place too much industrial stuff too close together you lose points.

You're only asked to juggle placing 3-6 different kinds of buildings at a time. Once you get to your points quota you get to pick between of two sets/packs of further buildings.

Which of the two offered sets of buildings you pick depends on what you've already built, and what kind of island you've rolled. If you've got an island full of trees you'll want more lumber buildings. If there's lots of sand you want more brickworks buildings. If you've got a quite dense residential area you might want to take a pack of fountains as they get bonuses for being close to homes.

The challenge comes once you've gotten an understanding of what the later buildings are and how they get the most points. For example, temples take up a lot of space but get massive bonus points for being near mansions, but lose points for being too near common houses. If you can find a nice open bit of land you can build out a row of mansions and leave a gap in the hope that you'll get a temple down the line.

As the game goes on you move through larger and more complex islands.

If you use all your buildings and don't meet your points quota, it's game over.

It presents as a 'city builder', and I suppose you are building a city. You don't worry about anything else other than building placement, so it's more of a puzzle game about using your given space the right way. There's no economy or population management aspect at all.

Addictive and well worth the $3.40 I paid.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    Currently playing 10 hour ish marathons of Last of Us 2 on twitch.

Its very violent. Heads get blown off from shot guns in game etc and cut scenes that are bashing heads in with golf clubs, crowbars etc. Some of it is off screen. Im up to seattle day 3. If you enjoyed the first one and dont mind the violence then it is recommended.
    Got a link to your twitchiness?
    Can one watch archived twitches? Is that what they call them?

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    I think they're called VODs? (Videos on Demand)
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Depends, bigger streamers make you sub to watch passed videos. Me/smaller streamers its all free but they only last 14 days before being deleted by twitch. Yeah called vods as above.

Been smashing Fallout 4 again.
    I miss my 308 cal Minigun. Still, I've probably dumped 150+ hours into that game and I'm still finding things I've not noticed before.

So hey, bit of a 'one from the vault'-type query, but...does anyone know if there's still any legitimate/safe way of downloading the old Battlefield 1942/Battlefield Vietnam? It was freely available a while back but that was a while ago, and I've had a hankering for some old-school Battlefield action.

I got Bad Company 2 and the Vietnam expansion but it's all online-multiplayer-only, no-single-player-with-bots and there aren't really any servers still going. Pity, the engine is pretty solid and I was looking forward to some random FPS-Vietnam action.

Quote Originally Posted by Ode to a Grasshopper View Post
    So hey, bit of a 'one from the vault'-type query, but...does anyone know if there's still any legitimate/safe way of downloading the old Battlefield 1942/Battlefield Vietnam? It was freely available a while back but that was a while ago, and I've had a hankering for some old-school Battlefield action.

I got Bad Company 2 and the Vietnam expansion but it's all online-multiplayer-only, no-single-player-with-bots and there aren't really any servers still going. Pity, the engine is pretty solid and I was looking forward to some random FPS-Vietnam action.
    There apparently was an Origin version of 1942 at one point but it's no longer available. Unfortunately, you can't just go to eBay and buy an old disk of these games either as the DRM scheme and anti-cheat don't run on modern Windows PCs as it turns out they were huge security vaunrabilitys so Microsoft has killed support for them. Your only bet is to download a cracked version of them and there is no way to guarantee that they are safe.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    There apparently was an Origin version of 1942 at one point but it's no longer available. Unfortunately, you can't just go to eBay and buy an old disk of these games either as the DRM scheme and anti-cheat don't run on modern Windows PCs as it turns out they were huge security vaunrabilitys so Microsoft has killed support for them. Your only bet is to download a cracked version of them and there is no way to guarantee that they are safe.
    I did a little bit of research and it looks like you can get the single-player working OK with some fiddling around and a no-CD crack. The trick of course is the 'safe' bit.

I've bought a not-too-expensive copy of Vietnam: Redux from Gumtree, so I guess we'll find out if it's doable in a week or two.
    Last edited by Ode to a Grasshopper; 15th July 2020 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Been smashing Fallout 4 again.
    I miss my 308 cal Minigun. Still, I've probably dumped 150+ hours into that game and I'm still finding things I've not noticed before.
    Still have to play that one day. I passed it up for $12 the other day.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Still have to play that one day. I passed it up for $12 the other day.
    Duuuude, grab the GOTY version if you can, should be cheap too and has all of the add ons