Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast

Thread: IDW Transformers ongoing [spoilers]

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    Rotorstorm thinks you're right.
    i think with the events that happened to ironhide recently, i think it is a case of both...

ironhide chest shot......dead.... but re downloaded....

rotorstorm scrapper megatron (i still dont think megs was dead...)

head wounds...

still offline...

but lets face it they will rebuild them maybe not rotorstorm.... but scrapper yes.. you cannnot not have devestator...

i guess same can be said for humans.. shoot us in the head were dead too... but our heart cant run without it.. and shoot us in the heart the brain doesnt run...

but i often remeber the days of marvel and marvel uk... deaths head squashing shockwaves brain chip.... the throttle bots brain chip (Personality chip) installed into RC cars and later replugged into new bodies...it all seems to be in the head...
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

I don't have a problem with TFs dying by being shot in the head but I do have a problem when a Douchey human does this super high jump and basically kills the Transformer by hitting him in the face with some chemical.

Beats seeing the one of the strongest Autobots die from a single shot to the shoulder. Even humans can survive being shot in the shoulder. :/

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I don't have a problem with TFs dying by being shot in the head but I do have a problem when a Douchey human does this super high jump and basically kills the Transformer by hitting him in the face with some chemical.
    When did he kill the Transformer by hitting him in the face with some chemical?
    Yes, I am being purposely obtuse, seeing as what really happened is that he stunned the Transformer using some chemical, then dropped a bunch of steel girders on him, and then shot him in the face with a laser gun. The only really unbelievable part of which (in context) is that Scrapper didn't just blow him away to start with (they've gone mostly the anime route regarding jumping and falling in Ongoing - Spikes shown leaping out of his TF sized mech suit in a previous episode, not to mention that whole leaping out of a car thing a few issues back, so it seems a bit late in the day to start criticising a lack of respect for gravity really).

Come on, it doesn't matter how it was done. Spike killed him in the most ridiculous way possible and they even had to have him do it without a shirt. How stupid is that?

I share the sentiment here too about the disappointment of the ongoing. I'm looking very hard for some positives but there are very few. The art is solid and the faces have grown on me.

Other than that though, this has been severely disappointing. Some little windows of hope but not very much. Add to that the D grade writing (probably an insult to D grade writers). The execution is poor, the storytelling backward, the script as energetic as a stuff bear. I'm not as frustrated as many are by the particular characters my concern is about the overall construction and the character development. It's severely lacking. It's forced and childishly conceived. I'm a big believer in anything can work in a story if you execute it right, have the right key notes. This book fails to even get there though on any of its major moments.

The moments, if anything, have significance b/c they reside on things not within the story. You can see through Swindle so clearly that it's stupid that Hot Rod doesn't. There is no elegance. Look at Marvel's recent Loki as a great example. The enjoyment out of that is that your enjoyment of that moment rests not on the writer's execution but your knowledge of Swindle's nature, his duplicity. None of his dialogue in the title, his actions create a dramatic impact.

To top it off, I'm really sick of the whole "Whoa. Humans are so amazing b/c they don't live as long as us" angle. It's been attempted, it's nice but TFs dwelling ont for 6 issues? Really. And you know what? You'd think Humans learn a lot more about dedication, conviction and fortitude from robots who have fought for eons. Whichever way though, can we skip it or if we attempt it, try to do in not so lame a fashion?

I'm also dropping it off my list of books each month now. There are no redeeming features for this at all.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    I share the sentiment here too about the disappointment of the ongoing. I'm looking very hard for some positives but there are very few. The art is solid and the faces have grown on me.

Other than that though, this has been severely disappointing. Some little windows of hope but not very much. Add to that the D grade writing (probably an insult to D grade writers). The execution is poor, the storytelling backward, the script as energetic as a stuff bear. I'm not as frustrated as many are by the particular characters my concern is about the overall construction and the character development. It's severely lacking. It's forced and childishly conceived. I'm a big believer in anything can work in a story if you execute it right, have the right key notes. This book fails to even get there though on any of its major moments.

The moments, if anything, have significance b/c they reside on things not within the story. You can see through Swindle so clearly that it's stupid that Hot Rod doesn't. There is no elegance. Look at Marvel's recent Loki as a great example. The enjoyment out of that is that your enjoyment of that moment rests not on the writer's execution but your knowledge of Swindle's nature, his duplicity. None of his dialogue in the title, his actions create a dramatic impact.

To top it off, I'm really sick of the whole "Whoa. Humans are so amazing b/c they don't live as long as us" angle. It's been attempted, it's nice but TFs dwelling ont for 6 issues? Really. And you know what? You'd think Humans learn a lot more about dedication, conviction and fortitude from robots who have fought for eons. Whichever way though, can we skip it or if we attempt it, try to do in not so lame a fashion?

I'm also dropping it off my list of books each month now. There are no redeeming features for this at all.
    Glad we can agree on something

My main hope for the Ongoing at this point is that they don't take it in the same direction that we've seen 475 times before.

I don't want the alliance between the humans and the Autobots to be the same as the NEST thing/the EDC thing (from Dreamwave). To be specific by that I mean I want them to avoid the whole Autobots being treated slightly suspiciously by the chain of command but are loved and respected by the soldiers they actually work with.

Also they're setting Allenby up as a major thorn in the side. As I said above I hope this extends beyond making him mostly a blustering bureaucratic ass who occasionally gets in the way and everyone has to tread carefully around.

I honestly don't think that the writers think that we care about the human's that much - that's been a very common sentiment amongst the fandom, especially since the 2007 movie. Since the first arc ended the subsequent two issues have been backstory issues - part of me thinks (and certainly hopes) that they're setting up to something.

Of course in the coming months if it turns our that it's really just pointless mostly aimless sometimes TF related adventures then this will have been a waste of a post.

Quote Originally Posted by STL View Post
    You gave it a longer shot than I did.

Its sad that the ongoing has hit such lows right when the IDW transformers comics may soon be available at newsagents and small independent stores. IDW's TF comics are terrible pretty much across the board. IDW should have looked at this move years ago when they had the better more cohesive series as well as the more straightforward movie titles, rather than the tripe they have been releasing of late.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post
    You gave it a longer shot than I did.

Its sad that the ongoing has hit such lows right when the IDW transformers comics may soon be available at newsagents and small independent stores. IDW's TF comics are terrible pretty much across the board. IDW should have looked at this move years ago when they had the better more cohesive series as well as the more straightforward movie titles, rather than the tripe they have been releasing of late.
    I think it's sadder that it's at a time when they've got a spanking brand new channel for readers like the iPad.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection